[November 17, 2022] Indiana State (2-0) vs North Dakota State (0-3)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Some people around me were “complaining” about us settling for so many 3’s… I said, that’s about as good of a half of basketball as we’ve seen in this building in a long long time and they looked more dominant the first 10 mins of the second half.

I’m not even worried about it - I’m looking forward to us getting punched in the mount. That will tell me what I need to know - I want to see someone come out swinging, I’m ready to see where we stack up. Okay we can beat lesser teams the way we should - which hasn’t always been the case here. We’ve checked that box in my mind.

Next box to check - I’m here for it.

I want that Toledo game because I think that would be it. Also, ECU are 3-0 and their PG is a tough nosed Indiana kid.

GoSycamores

The All-American Level
image_handler.aspx

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – The Indiana State Sycamores scored early and often Thursday night as they improved to 3-0 this season with a 101-75 win over the visiting North Dakota State Bison at the Hulman Center.

More...

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
JS again here discussing my favorite topic “defense”…

I swear to God he went like 5 games without mentioning the word defense last year… He can say what he wants about his focus/emphasis on it. And granted he didn’t have the pieces last year - but they were not a good defensive team last year I don’t think anyone arrived at that opinion because you’re a good offensive coach. No. I listened to every interview you gave and it wasn’t even discussed.

I don’t know why the messaging seems to be different - hell maybe it’s the questions being asked. Todd Golden isn’t the one throwing out zingers anymore so that could be it. But I like it. I like it because we knew these guys could be a good offensive unit - it was always going to be a question for me (and given who we’ve played still is a huge question) can these guys defend at a high level for 40. The first half was a good indication that they can - bud GB, BSU and NDSU aren’t a huge text to foundation…

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
It's strictly about the pieces. Since he plays positionless basketball, defense in his system is essentially based on the ability to switch 5 ways so there is no fighting over/under screens and that nonsense. The number of times a high screen would come yesterday and they'd just effortlessly hand off and slide was beautiful, especially that first group.

treeman

The Renn Level
Voss - What else can you say. Hell of a start to this season, I honestly don't know if we've had a player like him in recent history. He is the piece we needed to compete with the top of the conference.

Neese - the last 2 games is exactly where Coop needs to live. Put up high percentage shots and watch them fall. Man he is fun to watch stroke it when he doesn't have to force things.

Henry - Another efficient night for him (hardly recognize him with his hair). Touches the game in a lot of different ways. Can be frustrating for other opponents because if you focus in on Voss we got another guy that score at a very high level and in different ways.

Gibson - didn't watch the first 6 minutes of the game (I'm assuming he played then) but had 5 rebs, 5 assists, and 1 steal in 17 minutes. Didn't need him to score last night but did exactly what we needed out of a PG.

Stephens - The guy CONSTANTLY battles down low. Plays within himself on offense and converts at a pretty high clip. Glad he is having a nice bball career after his injury that ends a lot of basketball lives.

Kent - Versatile. I think he will mold into a very nice player for us once he gets a little bit more comfortable and more aggressive as the season wears on. He is going to win us a game this year.

Larry - Did what he usually does. One knock, is he had a couple possessions in a row where he tried to do too much then got yanked. Got the first Tech of the year...for hugging his teammate :ROFLMAO:

Avila - Nice to see him get some minutes, you can see the craftiness in his game. Played pretty well, would of loved to seen one of his 3s go down but overall a nice outing from him.

Bledson - Not the greatest evening for him. He is continuing the hot and cold of last year. Sometimes he looks like the best player on the court and at other times he gets happy feet download and it makes you scratch your head.

McKnight - Jury is still out. Hasn't played a whole heck of a lot and hasn't had the healthiest start to the season. You can see he has some moves around the basket. Once he gets his footing I think he will be fine.

Martin - first sighting. You can tell the kid can dribble out of anything. got lost a few times on defense but not a bad showing for a true freshman.

Hobbs - Came in and did what he was supposed to do. knock down a 3.

Miller - Didn't have high expectations for this year. Then everyone talked about him during the off-season so I got my hopes up. Hasn't really lived up to the pre-season expectations whether that's fair or not. You can tell he can shoot and I can't imagine him not getting to the gym early to try to get out of the funk.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Results of Some Guesses...

Starters: Voss, Gib, Neese, Henry, McKnight - WRONG
Leading Scorer: Gib - WRONG
Rebounder: Gib - Tied for Lead
Assists: Bledson - WRONG
Steals: Larry - WRONG
Threes: Voss - Accurate
Free Throws: Henry - WRONG
Blocks: Kent - WRONG
Winner: Trees - Yes

TreeTop

The Menser Level
And Eastern Illinois, 1999-2000 season isn't considered because it went into OT?

View attachment 1794

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana-state/2000-schedule.html
Yes, they're (ISU SID, if that's even a position anymore) should make the clarification that it's the first 100point game played in regulation vs a D1 team.

But who cares! One OT vs a D1 opponent in 37 years that had 100 points. Last night's game was more impressive.

Give Schertz 4 OTs like we had against Ohio in 2017 and we'd probably score 150 points.

Also, funny to note...when Luke Martin mentioned the stat of first 100 point game vs a D1 opponent since 1985, Matt Renn had no recollection of this 1999 game, he never mentioned it.

4Q_iu

The Kleuh Level
Supporter
Yes, they're (ISU SID, if that's even a position anymore) should make the clarification that it's the first 100point game played in regulation vs a D1 team.

But who cares! One OT vs a D1 opponent in 37 years that had 100 points. Last night's game was more impressive.

Give Schertz 4 OTs like we had against Ohio in 2017 and we'd probably score 150 points.

Also, funny to note...when Luke Martin mentioned the stat of first 100 point game vs a D1 opponent since 1985, Matt Renn had no recollection of this 1999 game, he never mentioned it.

And I believe that was... clarified, highlighted in the GoSycamores recap of the game.

at the end of the day, this game is the 3rd game in 37 years that the Ind St MBB team put up 100 or more points.

If people don't want non-Div I games discussed in stats, records, etc - the HC and the AD should NOT schedule and play them - period.

for AP/Coaches poll and the varied "power rankings," and ENDLESS analytic formulas used today, only Div I gms, stats are factored in HOWEVER, virtually EVERY current NCAA Div I school in ALL sports have played non-Div I schools, orgs, etc -- currently Kansas U. claims to have 2,357 wins vs. 877 losses - at least 1 of those 2,357 wins are against non-Div I teams.

So... what was the MBB record for Schertz' first season... 11-20 OR 8-20??