[November 22, 2022] Indiana State (4-0) vs Kansas City (2-4)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
I agree with this almost entirely… I’m done with it.

Voss is constantly like flexing his arms back while he’s shooting free throws. Flexing on people after he makes a layup. Pumping his hands down to calm down??? Literally himself I guess after he makes a 3? Yesh.

Henry over here is literally the same mental midget he was last year.

And then the coaches son who shouldn’t even be on the team - let alone a redshirt freshman like you correctly demonstrated essentially by way of points we lost by cost us the game or his redshirt buddies. Who cares.

Like that shit is why we had to go find a D2 coach to run our program… I don’t think he knew or we knew why he was at D2 for so long. But I will go out on a limb and say what no one else will - his lack of accountability and discipline is exactly why. 5 tech’s through 5 games.

I had some friends on FB trying to explain to me that the officials were not great and that we didn’t deserve them… Maybe so! News flash for all of you - this team has a mentality and words gets around fast. They’re a chirpy bunch and every official in college basketball knows it. They are looking for it and they don’t want to listen to it.

So you’re not wrong - I’m less concerned about the loss and more concerned about the continual lack of accountability and control over your roster. If that’s my kid on the end of the bench in street clothes costing me points - his ass is in the locker room for the day and maybe for the God damn season.
Well, you’re back. I was very concerned when you acted optimistic. Glad to see that’s no longer a problem! You really had me worried!

pbutler218

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
Honestly, Toledo kinda did themselves in by coming out with no fire or purpose. They were careless with the ball early on and I don't think they anticipated UMKC to be as aggressive as they were. If we come out of the gates like we did today, I anticipate us getting a win.

On the flipside, UMKC was not sharp passing so if we can be the aggressor there, we could have a double digit steal day. The passing was that bad.
Unfortunately we came out just like Toledo and we certainly weren't the aggressor. Ugh.....

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
Well, you’re back. I was very concerned when you acted optimistic. Glad to see that’s no longer a problem! You really had me worried!

I’m optimistic until given very real reasons not to be…

Beyond what we discussed last night and I am done talking about…

Rebounding is a very real problem. Couple that with any real PF/C presence thus far outside of Kalix. For better or worse JS seems committed to playing small most of this season - I don’t see that changing.

Cooper and his pump fakes. Getting fouled. Hand in his face fading out of bounds as time is expiring with the game on the line. Cooper is deadly. Wide open - with space - need him to shoot the shot and not pump take the shot. Hell I don’t even care if he hits the shot at this point. Stop pump faking. 2 or 3 pump fakes a game - not a half is plenty.

Guard play… I was pretty confident we had solved that with Gibson. I’m concerned after yesterday. He kicked it around the entire game. He couldn’t finish at the rim. Neither he nor Larry was a steadying presence. I love all the slobbering about Larry this early season - it’s wonderful. When you need him to step up and play like a PG - take control of the game he’s one of the most out of control players on the floor.

Henrey regression… He’s just not shooting the ball from the perimeter very well through 5 games and he’s just not a consistent enough rim scorer for us. I’d like to see him in attack mode more than he’s been. I get his reluctance on one hand because he typically takes a beating and doesn’t get a call. He’s just not been very locked in. His 2 missed free throws to start the second half was just a lack of focus, toughness, awareness - all the things.

I have some other concerns but these are my main concerns… So yeah I was optimistic - but it typically takes some time for you to start to see what flaws a team could have. The 3 turnover effort vs. Ball State where we stayed under control, played our game, controlled the pace, shared the ball, were not selfish - hard to find any negative or anything other than optimism for performances such as that… But I’m not and never will be the forever optimistic fan that supports his team no matter and everything is always okay. I don’t have that in my blood - Imma ride the F’ing roller coaster and go wherever it takes me.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Some results...

Leading Scorer: Gibson WRONG
Leading Rebounder: Gibson WRONG
Assists: Gibson WRONG
Steals: Larry WRONG
Blocks: Kailex WRONG
Threes: Neese WRONG
Sycamore Points: More than 87 HAHAHA
Roos Points: Fewer than 72 NAILED IT
Technical Fouls: Zero for Both Teams HAHAHA
Minutes for The Goggles: More than Eight WRONG
Mentions of Larry Bird by the FloHoops Announcers: More than Three I Listened to the Radio
Minutes of Technical Difficulties with No Video: More than Four I Listened to the Radio

Huff77

The Varsity Level
I’m optimistic until given very real reasons not to be…

Beyond what we discussed last night and I am done talking about…

Rebounding is a very real problem. Couple that with any real PF/C presence thus far outside of Kalix. For better or worse JS seems committed to playing small most of this season - I don’t see that changing.

Cooper and his pump fakes. Getting fouled. Hand in his face fading out of bounds as time is expiring with the game on the line. Cooper is deadly. Wide open - with space - need him to shoot the shot and not pump take the shot. Hell I don’t even care if he hits the shot at this point. Stop pump faking. 2 or 3 pump fakes a game - not a half is plenty.

Guard play… I was pretty confident we had solved that with Gibson. I’m concerned after yesterday. He kicked it around the entire game. He couldn’t finish at the rim. Neither he nor Larry was a steadying presence. I love all the slobbering about Larry this early season - it’s wonderful. When you need him to step up and play like a PG - take control of the game he’s one of the most out of control players on the floor.

Henrey regression… He’s just not shooting the ball from the perimeter very well through 5 games and he’s just not a consistent enough rim scorer for us. I’d like to see him in attack mode more than he’s been. I get his reluctance on one hand because he typically takes a beating and doesn’t get a call. He’s just not been very locked in. His 2 missed free throws to start the second half was just a lack of focus, toughness, awareness - all the things.

I have some other concerns but these are my main concerns… So yeah I was optimistic - but it typically takes some time for you to start to see what flaws a team could have. The 3 turnover effort vs. Ball State where we stayed under control, played our game, controlled the pace, shared the ball, were not selfish - hard to find any negative or anything other than optimism for performances such as that… But I’m not and never will be the forever optimistic fan that supports his team no matter and everything is always okay. I don’t have that in my blood - Imma ride the F’ing roller coaster and go wherever it takes me.

What happened to McKnight being a starter? I thought this was going to be a thing. He definitely hasn't shown anything so far that gets me excited. Frankly at this point it's a wash between him, Hittle, and Wilbar...although I have higher confidence in the others from 3.

As for the Techs. I go both ways on this. Henry and Voss need to stop the chatter. And the Cognac flex isn't even pretty...watch some Rick Rude or something. But I don't think Cams chatter is unwarranted (but not excused either). His aggression to the basket isn't rewarded as it should be (especially at home). His past plays a role in that, but how do you rationalize that as a referee? It's your job to be unbiased. A foul is an f-ing foul and Cam leads the galaxy in drawing uncalled fouls. Of course my argument is moot when you don't hit the FTs.

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
What happened to McKnight being a starter? I thought this was going to be a thing. He definitely hasn't shown anything so far that gets me excited. Frankly at this point it's a wash between him, Hittle, and Wilbar...although I have higher confidence in the others from 3.

As for the Techs. I go both ways on this. Henry and Voss need to stop the chatter. And the Cognac flex isn't even pretty...watch some Rick Rude or something. But I don't think Cams chatter is unwarranted (but not excused either). His aggression to the basket isn't rewarded as it should be (especially at home). His past plays a role in that, but how do you rationalize that as a referee? It's your job to be unbiased. A foul is an f-ing foul and Cam leads the galaxy in drawing uncalled fouls. Of course my argument is moot when you don't hit the FTs.

I have no idea… I’ve not been impressed with him at all. A step further - he’s been the least impressive player I’ve seen thus far. I never bought into any hype or JS comments on him so I can’t really call him a disappointment because my expectations were so low to begin with.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator

He's played 20 minutes on the season. I'm not sure I've seen anything that leads me to believe anything with certainty outside I'm not 100% sure he is style compatible since he can't get more PT, especially vs bigs. Like, it would have been nice to have him banging down low defensively to stop some of the stuff at the rim.

Today may be very telling as Drexel's best player by a mile is 6'10" and they play at a very slow pace. If we're stuck keeping Kailex on him, who is a Valley 4, McKnight is likely never going to get to play much.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Where is Wilbar at this year? I actually didn’t mind him. He had some potential as he was only a freshman with us.

He couldn't (or didn't) buy into the defensive scheme last year and it's the same reason Hobbs can't get off the bench or stay on the floor.

Say where you will about their mental makeup, but that first group we have understands what Schertz wants to do on the defensive end. Our seamless switching on defense is what you absolutely must do well to stop shooters in today's game. No longer can you just run under a pick because guys can hit from everywhere.

jturner38

The Varsity Level
Woke up still pissed. The only way the blow softens for me is if we don't play like that again today. I really wanted to remain undefeated until we saw Drake on the 30th. Someone tell Neese if he shot fakes at all this game he is running stairs. Someone remind the guys to stop trying to look for a foul and just finish through contact regardless if the foul is called or not. Voss needs to move the ball for better shots. If we don't get ball movement he is just going to shoot us out of games. Schertz better hold these guys accountable even though some of these guys are seniors. There definitely was no leadership yesterday.

SycamoreBlue3209

The All-MVC Level
Woke up still pissed. The only way the blow softens for me is if we don't play like that again today. I really wanted to remain undefeated until we saw Drake on the 30th. Someone tell Neese if he shot fakes at all this game he is running stairs. Someone remind the guys to stop trying to look for a foul and just finish through contact regardless if the foul is called or not. Voss needs to move the ball for better shots. If we don't get ball movement he is just going to shoot us out of games. Schertz better hold these guys accountable even though some of these guys are seniors. There definitely was no leadership yesterday.
I was really hoping for undefeated going into Drake game, but now just hoping for a win today and then beating Drake.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
Point being if we lost the showdown with Drake going into undefeated, you come out 7-1. If we take care of business today and beat Drake, you’re still 7-1, but with a conference win…and no reason for the melt down after one loss..
Hey, watch it. This board melts down better than ANY other board. We’re pros!!! 🤣