The Bird Level
Indiana State Sycamores (0-0) vs. Green Bay Phoenix (0-0)
Resch Center - Ashwaubenon, WI
Tuesday, November 9th, 2021
8:00pm EST Tip
I'll admit, I don't know much about Green Bay. After doing some research, here's what I've found:
To summarize, even with some potential injury issues and this game being on the road, we should absolutely win. Green Bay just isn't very good.
- Picked to finish 11th out of 12 in the Horizon League preseason poll
- They don't have any players on the preseason first or second all conference teams
- Stalking their fan message board, they also didn't know who their starting lineup would be going into their exhibition game
- PJ Pipes has graduated/left, which is a huge loss because he had the most badass name on the team
- Manny Ansong appears to be their best returning player. The 6' 4" Junior wing averaged 10 points and 5 boards last year. He's their only returning double-digit scorer.
- Kellogg is a 6' 8" big who started half of their games last year. His stats don't scream out to me, though.
- Lucas Stieber appears to be their starting PG. He didn't shoot it very well last year (only 29.5% from three and 38% from the field overall), but he has a stellar assist to turnover ratio of 3:1. He and Julian Larry can compare shooting notes.
- They don't have much size at all, so I don't expect any obvious matchup problems for us on the defensive end.
- KenPom ranks them 307 out of 358 D1 teams. For reference, we're 187.
Isn’t it better to cheer for valley schools in the non conference games to better conference standing and recognition?My prediction is that this will be a close game that could go either way. I would like to think that preseason next to last MVC is better than next to last HL, but who knows. ESPN says we have a 63% chance of winning. It's on the road so that will make it a bigger challenge. I wonder if Robert Tonyan will be at the game?
Bradley is playing at South Dakota State the same night, and ESPN says SDSU has an 85.1% chance of winning. I hope SDSU thumps them good.
I generally root for the MVFC and OVC football schools when they play the MVC private schools. Watching a so called basketball school (particularly Bradley) get blown out by a Dakota school would be priceless.Isn’t it better to cheer for valley schools in the non conference games to better conference standing and recognition?