[November 9, 2021] Indiana State (0-0) at Green Bay (0-0)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
i
vs.
i

Indiana State Sycamores (0-0) vs. Green Bay Phoenix (0-0)

Resch Center - Ashwaubenon, WI
Tuesday, November 9th, 2021
8:00pm EST Tip

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
It sounds promising as far as players returning for this game. Cam Henry will be back and it sounds like Peterson could be ready. CS said Wilbar is close also.....now we just wait and see what Tyreke plans to do. We could go from nearly no bench to a solid bench real fast. All in all I like many things i saw against Rose Hulman, but i also know there is a lot to improve upon, hopefully a near fully available roster will help in our deficiencies seen last night.

Looks like GB spanked their D3 exhibition 80-45. Looking at their roster, there aren't any kids we actively recruited and that is a first for a Midwest mid-major when we face off against them. Anyone familiar with any of their players at all?

A preliminary look at their roster shows that they only have two upper-classmen (two juniors). And their top three scorers from last season are no longer on the team.

I'll admit, I don't know much about Green Bay. After doing some research, here's what I've found:
  • Picked to finish 11th out of 12 in the Horizon League preseason poll
  • They don't have any players on the preseason first or second all conference teams
  • Stalking their fan message board, they also didn't know who their starting lineup would be going into their exhibition game
  • PJ Pipes has graduated/left, which is a huge loss because he had the most badass name on the team
  • Manny Ansong appears to be their best returning player. The 6' 4" Junior wing averaged 10 points and 5 boards last year. He's their only returning double-digit scorer.
  • Kellogg is a 6' 8" big who started half of their games last year. His stats don't scream out to me, though.
  • Lucas Stieber appears to be their starting PG. He didn't shoot it very well last year (only 29.5% from three and 38% from the field overall), but he has a stellar assist to turnover ratio of 3:1. He and Julian Larry can compare shooting notes.
  • They don't have much size at all, so I don't expect any obvious matchup problems for us on the defensive end.
  • KenPom ranks them 307 out of 358 D1 teams. For reference, we're 187.
To summarize, even with some potential injury issues and this game being on the road, we should absolutely win. Green Bay just isn't very good.

I'll admit, I don't know much about Green Bay. After doing some research, here's what I've found:
  • Picked to finish 11th out of 12 in the Horizon League preseason poll
  • They don't have any players on the preseason first or second all conference teams
  • Stalking their fan message board, they also didn't know who their starting lineup would be going into their exhibition game
  • PJ Pipes has graduated/left, which is a huge loss because he had the most badass name on the team
  • Manny Ansong appears to be their best returning player. The 6' 4" Junior wing averaged 10 points and 5 boards last year. He's their only returning double-digit scorer.
  • Kellogg is a 6' 8" big who started half of their games last year. His stats don't scream out to me, though.
  • Lucas Stieber appears to be their starting PG. He didn't shoot it very well last year (only 29.5% from three and 38% from the field overall), but he has a stellar assist to turnover ratio of 3:1. He and Julian Larry can compare shooting notes.
  • They don't have much size at all, so I don't expect any obvious matchup problems for us on the defensive end.
  • KenPom ranks them 307 out of 358 D1 teams. For reference, we're 187.
To summarize, even with some potential injury issues and this game being on the road, we should absolutely win. Green Bay just isn't very good.

they're still trying to "rebuild" their program... didn't the current AD push out a .500+ coach to install HIS guy? young Ryan who's ROI was a .320 last season?

You're correct - the Phoenix are on fire but it's a dumpster fire

To thoroughly know thy enemy, see #11 in this horizon league preview. These are always really well put together.

Green Bay has some transfers that’ll definitely be in the mix, but the bottom line remains - they won’t be very good…especially early.

The other interesting thing to note will be the stylistic differences between Ryan (son of Bo Ryan) and Schertz. Ryan runs an extremely slow swing offense like his old man, who was traditionally coaching the slowest paced teams in the country. Schertz, well, is the opposite. Ryan’s offense will look much more like our other MVC brethren, so it’ll be an interesting test to see how our oil mixes with that water.

My prediction is that this will be a close game that could go either way. I would like to think that preseason next to last MVC is better than next to last HL, but who knows. ESPN says we have a 63% chance of winning. It's on the road so that will make it a bigger challenge. I wonder if Robert Tonyan will be at the game?

Bradley is playing at South Dakota State the same night, and ESPN says SDSU has an 85.1% chance of winning. I hope SDSU thumps them good.

My prediction is that this will be a close game that could go either way. I would like to think that preseason next to last MVC is better than next to last HL, but who knows. ESPN says we have a 63% chance of winning. It's on the road so that will make it a bigger challenge. I wonder if Robert Tonyan will be at the game?

Bradley is playing at South Dakota State the same night, and ESPN says SDSU has an 85.1% chance of winning. I hope SDSU thumps them good.
Isn’t it better to cheer for valley schools in the non conference games to better conference standing and recognition?

Right! Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it doesn't do our league any good to have members lose in non-conference games. The more we all win outside of league play the better our ranking metrics are, which raises everyones SoS, which helps RPI and net Ranks.

Isn’t it better to cheer for valley schools in the non conference games to better conference standing and recognition?
I generally root for the MVFC and OVC football schools when they play the MVC private schools. Watching a so called basketball school (particularly Bradley) get blown out by a Dakota school would be priceless.

I will also be rooting for EIU (my 2nd fav team) and SEMO when they both play home games against Evansville in the non-con. For the record, I thought it was absolutely hilarious when Evansville got smoked by Jacksonville State on the road a couple of years ago.

If the MVC privates aren't playing a MVFC or OVC football school, then I root the private schools.

Green Bay is still really, really bad.

Even though I think it was completely wrong to part ways with Lansing and you all have already accused me of being a hater, I'm going to show you all I'm willing to give Schertz a chance. I'm placing and irresponsible and uncomfortable amount of money on the Trees at -3 as well as the moneyline. We SHOULD blow them out even without Key and even on the road. KAIZEN!!!!!

image_handler.aspx

GREEN BAY, Wisc. - Indiana State men's basketball opens its 2021-22 regular season slate Tuesday night on the road at Green Bay. The game tips off at 8 p.m. ET and will air on ESPN Plus as well as on the radio on 105.5 The Legend in the Wabash Valley and on GoSycamores.com/Listen worldwide free-of-charge.

More...

This very well coupd be coach speak, and i hope it is, but CS said he expects Green Bay to challenge us and expects a very competitive game. This means nothing of course, but my gut feeling is we win this game fairly easily. I expect big games from Henry, Bledson and Neese. The best teams find a way to rally around a fallen teammate and push harder to be the best versions of themselves.....lets hope this is the case for our this version of our Sycamores!!!

Back