[October 2, 2021] Indiana State (2-2) at South Dakota (2-2)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

You're exactly right - that IS just it. Indiana State doesn't have the student or alumni base that SoWest Missouri has; They're also ~$50M ahead on the endowment

If a donor walks in Dr. Curtis' door this afternoon and says I'll give you $30M towards a new stadium - I imagine ISU would have a new stadium but the odds of that occurring are slim and zero. ISU isn't giving "big picture, MVFC-style support" because there isn't any $$$ for it. And why should the students get stuck w/ another several hundred dollar fee?

MS does need work, much like Hulman needed; not so much the cosmetic as the systems, the guts... last time I was there, there were chunks missing in some of the concrete pillars... there was standing water in the restroom... the concessions area(s) were abysmal, the field may be fine but the structure needs work
The problem is easy to evaluate. The solution is the difficult part to solve 🤔

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Being “up to it” is second in importance to “wanting” to do it. I don’t think too many at ISU want to work on this. It isn’t important to the administration, doesn’t seem to be that important to the student body and doesn’t seem to be that important to the community.

Which means everyone sits on the sidelines while the program slowly deteriorates. Which is pretty much what has happened.

You're exactly right - that IS just it. Indiana State doesn't have the student or alumni base that SoWest Missouri has; They're also ~$50M ahead on the endowment

If a donor walks in Dr. Curtis' door this afternoon and says I'll give you $30M towards a new stadium - I imagine ISU would have a new stadium but the odds of that occurring are slim and zero. ISU isn't giving "big picture, MVFC-style support" because there isn't any $$$ for it. And why should the students get stuck w/ another several hundred dollar fee?

MS does need work, much like Hulman needed; not so much the cosmetic as the systems, the guts... last time I was there, there were chunks missing in some of the concrete pillars... there was standing water in the restroom... the concessions area(s) were abysmal, the field may be fine but the structure needs work
And hey I’m totally fine with the reality of no money to get us to the MVFC level. I understand why it isn’t there and that’s why it’s all the more frustrating to stay in this conference where we’re at a major disadvantage when there is a conference with schools that are more like us from that standpoint and on top of that, most of them are closer than the places we currently go to.

And yeah…Memorial is embarrassing. Besides the playing surface itself, I’m not sure if we have anything on any other team in the conference facility-wise besides a really unique tailgating area.

I assume the President isnt up to this task.

I'd put it maybe in the top ten of duties for the University Pres.

If the ISU fan base wants a new football stadium OR at heavily renovated football stadium; I'd say it's top 3 of Sherard Clinkscales - he's the AD.

After Clink, i'd put it in the top 2 jobs for Danny Plasencia, the current Ass't AD for Development AND Logan Kidd, the current Assistant Director of Athletic Development.

Those three are the 'senior REPs for $$ within the ISU Varsity Club - it's on them to get it done - not Dr. Curtis and not Ms. Andrea Angel.

And hey I’m totally fine with the reality of no money to get us to the MVFC level. I understand why it isn’t there and that’s why it’s all the more frustrating to stay in this conference where we’re at a major disadvantage when there is a conference with schools that are more like us from that standpoint and on top of that, most of them are closer than the places we currently go to.

And yeah…Memorial is embarrassing. Besides the playing surface itself, I’m not sure if we have anything on any other team in the conference facility-wise besides a really unique tailgating area.

i'd support dropping football entirely before ISU leaves the MVC.

If they leave the MVC, they should just take ISU_E's spot in the GLVC.

If the ISU fan base wants a new football stadium OR at heavily renovated football stadium; I'd say it's top 3 of Sherard Clinkscales - he's the AD.

After Clink, i'd put it in the top 2 jobs for Danny Plasencia, the current Ass't AD for Development AND Logan Kidd, the current Assistant Director of Athletic Development.

Those three are the 'senior REPs for $$ within the ISU Varsity Club - it's on them to get it done - not Dr. Curtis and not Ms. Andrea Angel.
This is way, way above them. This is a Goode/McKee problem. You’ll never raise 50-80 mil from donors for a stadium. You need to work with the legislature and competently plan and budget.

This is way, way above them. This is a Goode/McKee problem. You’ll never raise 50-80 mil from donors for a stadium. You need to work with the legislature and competently plan and budget.
That’s true. If it was on the AD. Why would it fall on the current AD? The stadium has been terrible for 30 years..

If we get blown out by WIU and / or YSU then it is time to reconsider Mallory being our HC. His contract runs through the 2023 season though so we could quite possibly have a Lansing 2.0 situation on our hands.
So he has 2 more seasons after this. I'd be very happy if Mallory's last two years mirror Lansing's. Beat a bunch of conference foes and finish in the top half of the Valley back-to-back with winning records both seasons. That would mean we're a playoff team. Sounds good to me.

I agree that the donors are never going to step up to the plate on this issue.

I don't believe the state of Indiana allows, permits the funding of college sports facilities (especially a sole-use football stadium).

the two exceptions are IMS (and that took moving half the heavens) and Lucas Oil -- both of which host more "glamourous events than ISU football 6-7 times a year...
and are funded by specific tax issues.

IF you think Terre Haute's memorial stadium will be rehabbed in that manner, it's as much on folks like bobby heaton, alan morrison, tonya pfaff and jon ford than mckee. And I venture that ol Greg Goode has his plate full in just keeping the annual approps for the university arriving on time; i don't see this issue being added this to his plate

Does he have any political capitol remaining after the hulman center rehab?

That’s true. If it was on the AD. Why would it fall on the current AD? The stadium has been terrible for 30 years..

life sux be you usually inherit the problems your (work) predecessor didn't fix, solve or resolve

So he has 2 more seasons after this. I'd be very happy if Mallory's last two years mirror Lansing's. Beat a bunch of conference foes and finish in the top half of the Valley back-to-back with winning records both seasons. That would mean we're a playoff team. Sounds good to me.

And the he's pushed out of the job and ISU searches for another head coach...?

will they look at the Div II and/or Div III ranks for Mallory's replacement?

I'd put it maybe in the top ten of duties for the University Pres.

Didn't Dr. Curtis put it on herself when, soon after getting hired, she went around telling fans, donors, and the athletes themselves about how big of a sports fan she is and how she wants to get our facilities on par with our competitors?

Sherard either knew what he was getting into or he didn't (which would be...troubling). Either way, it's the job he signed up for.

Didn't Dr. Curtis put it on herself when, soon after getting hired, she went around telling fans, donors, and the athletes themselves about how big of a sports fan she is and how she wants to get our facilities on par with our competitors?

Yes - which is why I put it in her Top 10 things... she has people to get it done; Clinkscales, Plasencia and Kidd.

2 more seasons, really? Lets hope Orgeron offers him the DC job at LSU...

Back