Oladipo trade

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

bent20

The Odum Level
Curious what Pacer fans think of the Oladipo trade. I wish he would have committed to the Pacers more than he did and I think they would have re-signed him, even with the higher price tag (maybe wishful thinking on my part). At least they got something for him, but it's a player they originally drafted and traded for a vet who is no longer with them. Would say it feels like a repeat of the Paul George situation with the Pacers being screwed a bit by a player they supported through a serious injury, but at least they got Sabonis out of that deal and still have him.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
The Pacers upgraded. Younger guy that doesn't demand the ball, is bigger, more efficient and he is under club control for 2 more years so if he isn't a scheme fit, he's a tradable asset.

I don't know anything about that, even though I'm a Pacers junkie. And was lucky enough to watch the PACERS play several games at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. Now that's old school to have watched those ABA games! I can still see Billy Cunningham ripping a rebound or, Dan Issel shooting from the parking lot, and Billy Keller pounding the ball with that crazy dribble of his, or to see Artis Gilmore, George McGinnis, Bob Netolicky, Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, and Louie Dampier; just to name a few, The only NBA action I'm watching these days is the MIAMI HEAT.

Why? Because they're fun to watch. That's it. If you've not seen them, you should. IMO, there's no players currently in the NBA that are more exciting to watch than DUNCAN ROBINSON, TYLER HERRO, GORAN DRAGIC and, KELLY OLYNYK; and for the sake of diversity add BAM ADEBAYO. Gotta luv someone whose first name is BAM!!!

Last edited:
I don't really watch or care for the NBA... I only liked the Pacers when they had Lance Stephenson which really says more about me than it does the Pacers. lol

As for PG / Victor correlation with them being in the same town as the Colts I just have a hard time getting away from the fact that the Pacers don't seem to have the same organizational culture as the Colts and that is interesting... I don't think the Pacers can use the "smaller'ish market" as an excuse for them getting sideways with super star players. Colts players over the past 20+ years are extremely loyal to Jim Irsay and the Colts organization. All of these shitty journalist writing the same story every week - that would be one of the most compelling stories for me to read. Colts superstars have been life long Colts - they leave at the end of a career, go to another team and still claim the Colts #1.

Anyway - early yesterday around 10:00 a.m. when I saw Harden and Houston were likely on the outs for good I tweeted out that the Pacers should be get involved. I thought the Pacers should put together a package centered around Victor and Turner to see if they could make a run at Harden. While I wasn't correct in the player they were targeting - it appeared to me outside looking in as a perfect opportunity for the Pacers to get something for Victor. His numbers have been some what pedestrian IMO - so I think the Pacers were fortunate enough to find a team very desperate to make a deal.

So often in pro sports it seems that GM's have trouble dealing players with near expiring contracts. I am always wondering - like why wouldn't you go get something for this player? Even if it's just a future draft pick - like something is better than them hitting FA and getting no return. I realize you've got a lot of financial factors and that sort of thing at play.

Being a Cubs fan (Jason will concur with most of this) I watched the Cubs miss on value for the better part of the last 5 years. Part of that was because they were blinded by the 2016 WS and they thought a multi year WS run was possible... Fine. But it became quite clear (to me anyway) in 2018 that we were not going to be making a run anytime soon. The Cubs never got ANYTHING out of players like Addison Russell, Ian Happ, Kyle Schwarber, Albert Almora, Carl Edwards JR, Pedro Strop... You could make a similar case for Bryant, Baez, Rizzo - but they would have been much more difficult pieces to move for a variety of reasons.

My point is this - I watched the Cubs get nothing for these players. Even though I hate the Pacers brass - I am glad to see them get something for Victor who is injury prone and he's got a lot of drama to go with not an All Star caliber game. They got a little younger. They got a little healthier. They will get more use out of Lavert - I think.

Those are my thoughts... My only real interest in the NBA has come as a result of sports betting. I really enjoy NBA palyer prop bets - I couldn't care less about trying to bet on which teams are going to win on a given night. But following individual players is somewhat enjoyable for me so long as I can win some money.

Last edited:
Oladipo is not the same player he was prior to his knee injury, and he was not going to resign with the Pacers. The fact that we got LeVert in return , who I think is already a better player, is pretty amazing.

For Houston, they were more interested in an expiring contract than they were Oladipo as a player.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Hadn't heard. I quit watching pro sports last year.

I've never really followed the Pacers (or NBA) in general ever. I think it is terrible basketball. They're all extremely athletic and good shooters, but I find the game really terrible.

I used to follow the MLB when I was younger and played Cal Ripken ball, but I don't have the attention span to follow a 162 game season. It's just too long of a season and too many games.

The NFL is the only pro series I somewhat follow anymore and I admittedly follow it way less than I used to. I've mainly been following the Packers just to see how our guys are doing.

The biggest thing that turns me off to pro sports is the fact that most of the players make millions of dollars and then complain about everything. They also never stay on the same team for very long. The prices to attend a game are also just not worth it to me. The only time I have ever attended a pro game is if the tickets were given to me and quite frankly I would probably turn down free tickets at this point because that's how low my interest level is. As far as I'm concerned ISU football, basketball, and baseball fulfill my sports needs for the year and the occasional EIU games I also attend. There's also the affordability benefit and the not having to drive for hours to go to a game.

Hadn't heard. I quit watching pro sports last year.
You're actually missing out. The NBA product is actually pretty solid outside of a few shit heads in the league. Ironically enough, most of them now reside in Brooklyn so it is easy to skip specific games.

I loved the NBA of the 90's but the free flowing, offensive game of today is fun to watch, especially with the high level athletes in the league. I'm a Bulls fan, but watched a Pacers/Warriors game the other night and the ball movement alone in that game was worth the watch.

You're actually missing out. The NBA product is actually pretty solid outside of a few shit heads in the league. Ironically enough, most of them now reside in Brooklyn so it is easy to skip specific games.

I loved the NBA of the 90's but the free flowing, offensive game of today is fun to watch, especially with the high level athletes in the league. I'm a Bulls fan, but watched a Pacers/Warriors game the other night and the ball movement alone in that game was worth the watch.
Well, I've watched the Pacers since I was a kid and even followed them until the pandemic hit and then the kneeling. I am not supporting any pro sports now as they're all a bunch of hypocritical whiners who want to use the court or field to protest. That's fine if they want to do that, but I'm not gonna support it. As far as the NBA game. I find it boring as hell the last few years with the non stop 3 pointers. I like to watch good big men down low and that's almost gone now from most teams.

Back