One more recruit!

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Indians1

The Sycamore Level
I can't release the name and info, but I am sure Coach will in the next week or so. What a pickup for the Sycamores. This will make 8 for the incoming class.

I will give a hint......she is a transfer and was heavily recruited by the Sycamores as a high school player.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Where is she from o yea and what position does she play that won't give it away

Telling where she is from will give it away, but she is a guard (6'0") and will have 3 yrs. eligibility after sitting out one year.

Any guesses???

Telling where she is from will give it away, but she is a guard (6'0") and will have 3 yrs. eligibility after sitting out one year.

Any guesses???
Chris Paul? Man, please, please, please be Chris Paul. Dud... err, lady is unbelievable! :bigsmile:

Can she please be 6 or 7 inches taller and run as fast as Angela Phillips ?

:sycamores:

I guess we could stretch her. As far as quickness, she won't be first nor last. I would say by looking at her she will be one of the strongest on the team.

Here are some guesses:

Chelsea Buher of Lawrenceville, Ill., who played at the University of Illinois last season
Katrina Swingler of Teutopolis, Ill, who played at Southern Illinois last season
Brittany Johnson of Olney, Ill, who played at Ohio State last season
Emily Maggert of Paris, Ill, who played at Ball State last season

Buher and Johnson are listed at 5-11. Maggert is listed at 6-1 or 6-2.
If it is not any of the above, I got another guess or two.

Last edited:

A more likely scenario involves Emily Maggart. Ball State's coach resigned, so she may not want to be part of any drama there.

Reducing my list

My "guesses" were submitted in a certain order, with the top choice listed first.

I do not think that Ball State has named a new head coach yet. If interim Coach McDonald gets the job, I would think that Maggert would stay in Muncie as she seemed to flourish under McDonald. Other reasons for her being the fourth choice: I do not think that Coach Wiedie recruited Maggert very hard out of high school and she exceeds, by an inch or two, the height guideline.

I probably should move Swingler down a notch since I do not think she has played very much at guard, one of the guidelines. The program at SIU has been in a state of disarray, which induced me to list her, but she seems to be one of the few who has decided to stay.

Thus, I am reducing my first list of four to two:
1. Buher
2. Johnson

As Miss Illinois Basketball for 2007, Brittany Johnson cannot be happy with the 98 minutes she played last season at Ohio State. I do not know how well she adjusted socially in Columbus. That could be a factor in any decision she might make to transfer but I have heard no rumblings that she might leave. As I understand it, she was very close to her foster family in Olney. But I do not know if that family still resides in Olney; does anyone know?

For all the reasons cited above, and then some, I think Chelsea Buher is the top prospect to transfer even though she played big minutes in several games at Illinois last season as a freshman. The current Illinois coach is not the one who recruited her and, if I am not mistaken, Chelsea attended Wiedie's summer basketball camp.

Last edited:
A little bit about Chelsea Buher

Here is the press release issued when Chelsea Buher signed with Illinois in November 2006 before her senior year:

CHELSEA BUHER ? 5-11 ? Wing/Guard ? Lawrenceville HS/Lawrenceville, Ill.

Buher is ranked as the nation's No. 85 best senior in the class of 2007 by Blue Star Report. A wing player who can play both the 2 and 3 positions, Buher was named second team All-State by the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association and third team All-State by the Associated Press and Champaign News-Gazette as a junior in 2006 after averaging 22 points, 9.5 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals for Lawrenceville. In 2005, she was a third team All-Stater according to the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association and was named the Vincennes Sun-Commercial Area Player of the Year after averaging 19 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists per game as a sophomore. She is a three-time Street and Smith honorable mention All-American, a three-time Vincennes Sun-Commercial first team All-Area selection and a three time first team Little Illini Conference pick.

In addition to starring for Lawrenceville, Buher also played for the Indiana's Finest AAU Team. While not on the basketball court, Buher also stars on the volleyball court and softball field, as well as in the classroom. She is a 4.0 student who has never missed a day of school and has played in every varsity game for volleyball, basketball and softball teams during her first three seasons. Buher committed to Illinois in August after considering Northwestern, Indiana, Bowling Green and Indiana State.

"I chose Illinois because it was always my life-long dream to play for my home state," Buher said. "Even more so was the opportunity to play for Theresa Grentz and her staff. I knew if I chose this school that I would continue to grow as a player and become the best that I could be."

I too expected Coach Mac to get the nod. She is a go-getter and a really nice person. I am sure she along w/ Coach Marsha Frese will land on their feet somewhere.

Back