opinions on improvement

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

country123a

The Starter Level
I'm curious to know what your honest opinions are (not hopeful or heartfelt) that Miles will turn this program around within 2-3 years. By turnaround I mean a .500 or better program.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Two wins next year would be nice. From there it really depends on how well he continues to do with recruiting. I think .500 or better should be the expectation. I'd like to see us like other teams where we hover around the middle, occassionally having great years when we have a solid batch of juniors and seniors. If this team can't at least achieve that much a new stadium will be pointless. If we're just trying to get back to three and four win seasons like we had before West's arrival it won't matter much.

I think Miles would disagree with this statement, why not recruit kids who want to compete to win conference championships every year and compete to make the I-AA playoffs every year. I am sure he is not at ISU to bring the program back to mediocrity only. He seems like a competitive guy, one who is going to recruit good players who want to win all the time. Why would anyone want to hover around the middle and only occassionally compete for a conference championship?

I think 2 wins in 2009 is a reasonable goal, and actually I think this team might beat Missouri State in the last game, MSU is really depleted with injuries right now and has a defense that is WORSE against the rush than ISU. Just watch their results against the Bye-zun this weekend, it's going to be pretty ugly more than likely, and this game is in Springfield. ISU gets MSU in TH

Two wins next year would be nice. From there it really depends on how well he continues to do with recruiting. I think .500 or better should be the expectation. I'd like to see us like other teams where we hover around the middle, occassionally having great years when we have a solid batch of juniors and seniors. If this team can't at least achieve that much a new stadium will be pointless. If we're just trying to get back to three and four win seasons like we had before West's arrival it won't matter much.

i know this years' Freshmen are not looking at .500 by their Senior year as being successful. The goal is 2-3 wins next year, .500 the following, playoffs by their Senior year. Ambitious? Yes. Possible? Also yes, assuming continued positive recruiting. Here's hoping for the best, and hoping that they realize what it's going to take in the off seasons.

Recruiting is the key. If Miles keeps doing as he did last year, we'll be winning soon. My honest opinion after watching the progress the team has made is that we'll be close to .500 next year, and the year after that we'll win 7 or 8 games. Seriously. Of course, if the recruiting goes to heck, then all bets are off, but I'm not seeing or hearing any indication that that will happen.

I also put a ton of stock in Miles' statement when he was hired, that the goal was to win championships, not just win 4 or 5 games. That is a huge paradigm shift for ISU football. I think he's the man to do it.

I'm optimistic...:bigsmile::sycamores:

I'm just trying to be realistic. What I'm asking for already seems a bit much. There aren't that many teams that are a powerhouse, competing for the playoffs and championship every year. A lot of teams have to retool.

I saw them play SEMO and arrived expecting to see a team that did not belong on the field with another Div I team. And that was not the case at all. I know they have what seems to be a great coaching staff as well.

I really feel that they could win at least 3 games next year if their off season conditioning and preparations are dedicated. Just curious what everyone else thought - thanks for the replies.

I definitely expect closer games. We better score and we better hold more teams to less than 30. The last two weeks have definitely been a big step in the right direction.

The only obstacle facing Miles right now is selling a 30-35 game losing streak to recruits this offseason.

If next year is 0-11 and that streak jumps to 50 what do you say?

Uhh...we have a rec center?

The only obstacle facing Miles right now is selling a 30-35 game losing streak to recruits this offseason.

Kids take the easy road, so it will be a damn near impossible sell. That said, there are more available prospects then scholarships out there, so he'll fill the class.

I have heard from a poster on this and other boards, who I believe is intimately involved in our athletic department, that this next recruiting class is shaping up to be as good as (if not a little better than) last year's. That would be a major accomplishment, and if it comes to pass, then I will be totally convinced that the football program is well on the road to winning.

As I and many others have said, it all hinges on recruiting...

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

True. It's imperative that this team demonstratres, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it's on the way up next year. That will have to include 2-3 wins and at least be competative with the big boys of the conference (not blown out by 4-5+ TDS).

Miles & Co. will have to sell the parents as well... Knowing that he's devoted to academics and team conduct off the field as well. A lot of kids won't mind helping to rebuild a program if early playing time is involved and they buy into the coachs' vision.

Hopefully the fans will respond next year as well if they progress.

if the losing ends Saturday, which I really hope it does, then that could be a springboard into 2009.

Mizzery State is reeling with lots of injuries, the game is at ISU, and the last ISU win came against Mizzery State at ISU in 2006. (albeit ISU had an illegal player). So it would be nice to get a legitimate win for the 1st time since 2004. Man, that's a long drought.

Let's hope the improvements we've seen the past 2 weekends, however minimal, turn into a "W" on Sat.

Where do you long-time Sycamore fans see the biggest need with the recruiting (other than everywhere)? It would be nice not to have to list the same names multiple times on the depth chart for one thing.

seems like the offensive line is a good place to start, give the QB more time to pass and let plays develop, so he doesn't have to run for his life every play.

I am pretty sure ISU is last or near last in I-AA FB for sacks for loss.

Anyone know if Lee Tilley (the Auburn kid) is still at ISU????

Where do you long-time Sycamore fans see the biggest need with the recruiting (other than everywhere)? It would be nice not to have to list the same names multiple times on the depth chart for one thing.

I agree with CC, I would say our most pressing need is on the O-line. Part of the reason we can't pass the ball is because the QB has about 1/2 of a second before the protection breaks down. Big need, HUGE NEED, on the O-line.

I'd also say QB is a need, but I think any coach would tell you that he'll take a really good QB every single year. Hopefully, Schmidtke comes back next year, with a better frame of mind, and can help us be more than one dimensional.

If we could actually move the ball and score, we'd be in a lot of games. So, O-line is where it's at...

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

I'd say both sides of the lines. I've always heard that's the starting point for building a good football team.

seems like the offensive line is a good place to start, give the QB more time to pass and let plays develop, so he doesn't have to run for his life every play.

I am pretty sure ISU is last or near last in I-AA FB for sacks for loss.

Anyone know if Lee Tilley (the Auburn kid) is still at ISU????

Guys, re: the O-Line, I was stunned. Those guys need to hit the weightroom. One of those tackles had D-II tight end arms. One of the others was about 5'2". Recruiting. Strength and conditioning. New stadium.

:sycamores:

I, as an opponent's fan, actually think that you guys are on the right path to success.

1. You kept it a good game in Fargo for most of the first half.

2. You were competitive in lots of your games. All your team needed was an extra boost. That can easily be given by an outstanding QB recruited by your coach.

3. Your coach. An honest, hardworking coach is always a plus.

All that's needed to fix the puzzle is a little bit more recruiting, plus more excitement geared towards the fans.

The oline was the biggest area of concern going into the season. Miles verily had enough guys to fill out the roster. As for the QB, it will be interesting to see what happens with Schmitdke. I don't think there is any question he is the big time QB we need, if he comes back and stays out of trouble.

ISU has struggled for so long in so many sports that attendance isn't where any of us want it to be, but I think more fan interest will be there when we start winning. We've seen it with the success our women's basketball team has had. Fans will come when the team gives us reason to be excited. The attendance at some of the football games early in the season showed that's true. Also, when I went to the Northern Illinois game in Dekalb, there happened to be an ISU fan behind me, which was nice to see. I thought I might be the only one.

Back