Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Miles is a good coach, there isn't any doubt with his experience and track record where he has been, but if they're going to turn around this program it will be because he and fellow coaches burned the midnight oil and recruited well.

Being a Notre Dame football fan, one of the biggest problems when Miles was on staff under Willingham was recruiting. While it probably started at the top, I hope Miles does not follow the formula Willingham did as he spent more time on the links then he did closing out recruits for the Irish.

Further, while I know ISU doesn't have much pull or value to high school athletes -- inside or outside the state of Indiana, I think the staff can do this if they dedicate themselves to it. Recruiting is about personal relationships and selling something... and Indiana State is a good school where you can get a good education.

I hope they focus on kids from the midwest as there is a ton of talent in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. ABC... Always Be Closing.

bent20

The Odum Level
Recruiting is important, but sometimes it doesn't matter how much time you devote to it. A kid is going to go where he wants to go.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
I gotta think that if his first class is any indication, our recruiting will be in good hands. He's built a great staff, and he has the experience of watching what has happened to Willingham's programs. He knows why the ND thing went south, I'm sure. He's seemingly a very smart coach! I think we're in good hands...

BTW, did anyone else notice Coach Miles leading the football team into the game Saturday night? He didn't just tell 'em to go, he was there with them!!! This was after the football members of the Athletic Director's Honor Roll all showed up for their recognition at the WSU game in ties! They looked very classy! I don't know if Miles can win a game, but I like the way he's running the program!!!

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Recruiting is important, but sometimes it doesn't matter how much time you devote to it. A kid is going to go where he wants to go.
It's not just important... it's everything.

Of course you're not going to get every kid, but the problem lies when you don't have a backup plan. Too often (going back to Willingham) only a couple players were offered and Notre Dame missed out on them without having a plan B. I'm hoping Miles covers all the bases and makes sure he gets his needs taken care of.

sycamore51

The Varsity Level
Wasn't Willingham the one that brought in the players that had them in the top 10 a couple of years ago?

Ong Hop

The Sycamore Level
FB Recruiting

Obviously you haven't paid attention to the newspapers, ISU's wbsite or posts to this website.
Coach Miles has the #2 recruiting class in the Gateway and #7 nationally of non-BCS schools. He and his staff not only recruited well, they recruited great and more kids are wanting on board. Coach Miles also jettisoned several players that did not want to attend class and/or follow his "no nonsense" rules. We will see a dynamic change in our Football team this year and in years to come.

btisu22

The Varsity Level
Obviously you haven't paid attention to the newspapers, ISU's wbsite or posts to this website.
Coach Miles has the #2 recruiting class in the Gateway and #7 nationally of non-BCS schools. He and his staff not only recruited well, they recruited great and more kids are wanting on board. Coach Miles also jettisoned several players that did not want to attend class and/or follow his "no nonsense" rules. We will see a dynamic change in our Football team this year and in years to come.
Class is a word that has come to my mind with Coach Miles. Everything he has done to this point is making these kids respect the school and the COLLEGE game.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
One class does not a program make.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Wasn't Willingham the one that brought in the players that had them in the top 10 a couple of years ago?
Yep, he had one very good class, and the rest blew. The reason why Notre Dame was 3-9 was partly because Willingham was terrible on the recruiting trail and really didn't stock the pantry. There was a period when he took only two OL in two classes... you can't do that and succeed.

SydCamore

The Captain Level
This is not Notre Dame and Trent Miles is not Tyrone Willingham. Different story, different day.

Svoboda has some points, but I think this situation is totally different. We cannot compare Indiana State to Notre Dame. The players that go to these schools are totally different.

I'm an optimist.

Ong Hop

The Sycamore Level
recruiting

Coach Miles is not Willingham. Trent brings an energy, a belief and a committment that is seldom seen in coaching. Trent is a product of his family. Trent will make ISU, Terre Haute and the Wabash Valley proud. We now have a contingent of coaches that will put ISU in the forefront of our conferences and make ISU Alums very proud again.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
This is not Notre Dame and Trent Miles is not Tyrone Willingham. Different story, different day.

Svoboda has some points, but I think this situation is totally different. We cannot compare Indiana State to Notre Dame. The players that go to these schools are totally different.

I'm an optimist.
You're 100% correct, but it has to be noted that Miles has served under Willingham since 2001, his longest tenure under any one coach. I think it would be safe to say that he learned a lot from Willingham as most assistant coaches tend to take away many characteristics under the head coaches for whom they have served.

As for those that keep coming in here and discussing Miles' class and his other great characteristics, you're missing the point. This has nothing to do with Miles the man, or Miles the coach for that matter -- it has to deal only with Miles the recruiter.

The original crux of my post is that I hope that recruiting style was not one of characteristics that Trent took away from Tyrone.

As for the comment about this isn't Notre Dame, you're again 100% correct. That said, at the end of the day you're still recruiting high school kids and you're still selling them on your program, your institution and your city. From South Bend to Terre Haute to Gainesville to Bakersfield, it's the same process.

Good luck to Coach Miles and I hope you've got a video guy, an assistant, or alumni scouring the country for players right now. Recruiting never stops and you're not going to win at any level without them.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Coach Miles is not Willingham. Trent brings an energy, a belief and a committment that is seldom seen in coaching. Trent is a product of his family. Trent will make ISU, Terre Haute and the Wabash Valley proud. We now have a contingent of coaches that will put ISU in the forefront of our conferences and make ISU Alums very proud again.
An energy, a belief and a committment that is seldom seen in coaching? It's obvious that you've got a horse in this race as your responses are very defensive and off point.

This kind of thing is, has and always be a problem in Terre Haute and the Wabash Valley. Try to look at things objectively. While I have no doubts Miles has the experience to be a fine coach, especially at State, it's a little premature to be annointing him just yet.

Go get you some horses, Trent! ABC! Always Be Closing!

Ong Hop

The Sycamore Level
No horse in the race. My youngest is 26 and living in Nashville, TN. Knew Chuck Miles. Been watchful of the changes in the FB players attitudes, the new type of recruits and the energy of thestaff. Combine this with their wisdom (knowledge & experience) and we should all be dumbfounded if we do not see improvement and success.

bent20

The Odum Level
I saw in the Tribstar Miles is worried about their shortage of linemen. He said they're trying to address it, but didn't explain. Do they still have some openings and potential recruits to pick up before the season starts?

113TTN03

The White Level
This is The Truth

Coach les Miles has the a chance to be what a lot of major coaches are to their universities.......coaches like Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden or even the late coach Hep arrived on their respective campuses when the football programs were down and out just like state has been in recent years and not only turned around the football program but created an amazing surge that has lead to major expansions campus and community wide. He is a great man who just so happens to be a native of Terre Haute and a former player at ISU as well. My favorite thing about Coach Miles is the fact that he has put in his time on some of the biggest stages college football has to offer. With this being said he knows the importance of Getting players from High level winning programs, sending coaches to events like Nike camps, prep combines, Paying close attention to rivals to see what major high school programs are doing what in our area Etc??Yeah we may not be able to get a teams top two or three but that doesn?t mean that we cant get a diamond in a ruff by offering a team like Detroit Cass or Cincinnati Colerain or Even Indianapolis Warren Central?s 5th or 6 best players scholarships.
As a former player who had a pretty productive career at ISU I can tell you that it has never been a talent problem at State b/c we have always had the talent ??.two problems that we have always lacked heavy at Indiana State are Size in the right areas and A simple mentality.
Coach Miles has already addressed these issues heavy in this incoming class by signing a double digit number of lineman on both sides of the ball who have major DI size and also signing a number of kids from programs that have produced top talent in mid west year and year out. I know coach miles will not settle for just winning a few games. If we take care of coach miles from a foundation point of view (fan, salary, support, patience, etc) we will not have to worry about looking for a new coach for a long time.

sycamore51

The Varsity Level
It's good to hear the thoughts of a former player on this matter. I agree with you totally, winners win, pure and simple. If you bring in kids that are from winning traditional winning programs, year in and year out, then they will know what it takes to win and will be willing to make the sacrifices required of them. I think Coach Miles has the support of everybody as do the kids.