Recruiting

bent20

The Odum Level
I realize we're still a couple of months away from official announcements, but has anyone heard anything about how recruiting is going?

ISUCC

The Odum Level

bent20

The Odum Level
Yeah, that link doesn't go to the page I had up earlier. Now when I do the same search for Indiana State it doesn't show any players. I have no idea what I did wrong. Anyway, it had King listed and about eight others, including those listed by scout. Some had already signed with other schools (Northern Ill., Eastern Michigan), but there were quite a few two star players. Can't remember many of the names though.

True Blue

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
there aren't many players considering ISU compared to the other Gateway schools.

I'm just guessing here, but with as many players coming back as we have(barring defections), we may not be needing as many as the other teams.

bent20

The Odum Level
I'm just guessing here, but with as many players coming back as we have(barring defections), we may not be needing as many as the other teams.
That could very well be true, but I hope we get a few good recruits to keep the momentum going.

True Blue

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
We need just as many this year as last and the same or better talent.

I agree whole-heartedly. However, isn't their a limit on scholarships? I don't know the breakdown on what kids have what kind of scholarship from this years team.

new sycamore fan

The All-MVC Level
The first big group of official visits for recruits will be on campus this weekend. I'm sure the hosts will have them at the basketball game on Saturday. The scholarship number is 63--not sure what they have available, since they only lost 5 Seniors. I think as many as 18 of last seasons' Freshmen were walk-ons, so they will likely use some scholarships there (e.g. Ryan Roberts), and they probably have some number of partial scholarships to share. The program has to get to a point where they can entice kids with the partials, as many of the other MVC schools do, and use the redshirt option to develop the program. Of the 60+ players named to the all-conference team, only a handful were NOT redshirted at some point. That's a scary number, and reflects how far we have to go to get to where Coach Miles wants to be.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
you'll have to keep us updated new sycamore fan, signing day is in mid February isn't it?

Did some of the Asst. coaches really leave then, as someone posted in a diff. thread?

new sycamore fan

The All-MVC Level
Yes, I know the secondary coach will not be back, and possibly the OL coach. Hopefully they continue to get good recruits at all positions--some disturbing recent rumors about some upperclassmen maybe not coming back (Dowdell, Mcgrath...). I don't like the sound of this. The program can't compete, much less win in the MVC with some of the Freshman skill position players that they appear to be counting on and all young linemen. I think we would have won a couple of games with Dowdell at QB (yes, even with the turnover problems)--he is just simply a superior athlete and a much better passer.

Lights Out

The Sycamore Level
Dowdell may be a much better player, but if he and other players don't want to buy in to Coach Miles system then they need to go. They didn't win a game this past year, so I would bet that they could get rid of whoever they want and not do any worse. Football is the ultimate team game and if you have some bad apples (ISU has had its share of them) they can ruin an entire team. I have complete faith in Coach Miles and I know he will get this thing moving in the right direction!

new sycamore fan

The All-MVC Level
I agree that they need the players to buy in and accept the discilpline... However, they also need the talent to go along with the system. I didn't get the impression that Dowdell was a bad apple--yes he was suspended for the first game, but I'm not sure there were any big transgressions after that. Oh well, he's gone, so there's no sense to talk about that anymore.

A LB from Gulf Coast CC in Mississippi signed a LOI, I think the name is Santino Davis. Only 3 weeks until signing day. Hopefully the coaches are as happy with this incoming class as last years.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
I heard there were 12 recruits at the ISU/ISU basketball game, and there'll be 18 more in next weekend. Sounds like the pavement is getting a good beating from our football coaching staff...

bent20

The Odum Level
That was a great game for recruits to be at given the size of the crowd and the intensity of the game. I'm sorry to hear Dowdell is gone, but the turnovers doomed him. You can't give the ball up as much as he did and stay on the field.

SydCamore

The Captain Level
Tilley is not around.

We have not lost anybody significant due to transfer. (Dowdell, Middlebrooks, McGrath, etc.) These guys didn't contribute much last year. Good players but they can easily be replaced.

We are probably getting a DT transfer from IU, formerly of Warren Central. He will probably be an all-american here.

I hear that we are getting some kids from Center Grove. If we get Anthony Elias, expect a good Freshman year from him. He started in the MIC for 4 years.

Look for us to tap into the Western Pennsylvania market. We already got Corey Bichey last year........ We recruited this area when we were good in the 80s.

Signing day is the first Wednesday in February.

bent20

The Odum Level
Tilley is not around.

We have not lost anybody significant due to transfer. (Dowdell, Middlebrooks, McGrath, etc.) These guys didn't contribute much last year. Good players but they can easily be replaced.

We are probably getting a DT transfer from IU, formerly of Warren Central. He will probably be an all-american here.

I hear that we are getting some kids from Center Grove. If we get Anthony Elias, expect a good Freshman year from him. He started in the MIC for 4 years.

Look for us to tap into the Western Pennsylvania market. We already got Corey Bichey last year........ We recruited this area when we were good in the 80s.

Signing day is the first Wednesday in February.
I know it's difficult to say at this point, but based on what you're hearing how do you think this class will grade out? Will it be another strong class?