Schmidtke Arrested in Terre Haute

SycEm

The Sycamore Level
Calvin Schmidtke tasered by police on Sunday morning - not what Coach Miles needed at this point:
WTWO Story

ISU Quarterback Arrested

Monday, Oct 13, 2008 @07:05pm EST

The WTWO sports department has learned that Indiana State quarterback Calvin Schmidtke once again finds himself in trouble with the law.

Schmidtke was arrested at 12:15 Sunday morning after a party he was at was raided for underage drinking. Things got worse for the 19-year-old after that, because he ran from police. Schmidtke resisted arrest and the police actually had to taser him. He has since been released from jail.

ISU confirmed to the WTWO sports department this afternoon that ISU head football coach Trent Miles has suspended Schmidtke for one game.

Last edited:

bent20

The Odum Level
It will be interesting to see what Miles does. It's not the most severe violation, but he's coming in with a checkered past. You would think after all he's been through he'd realize the best thing to do is just stay and get caught, but who knows, maybe Miles gave him a list of things you absolutely can not do and getting caught drinking was one of them.

country123a

The Starter Level
Considering he got this opportunity as one last chance to get squared-away... I'm not sure a one game suspension cuts it for me.

ISUGUY

The Blue Level
Coach Miles should flat out cut the kid to demonstrate the ISU program will at least have integrity.

ISU football may stink but at least the program has integrity. Do the right thing.

If Miles fails to take severe action this issue will haunt him. A 0 Win Season, High Risk kid gets in trouble yet again.

Hooper

The Starter Level
other hooper

I would be shocked to hear anyone say they are surprised by this.
Just for the record I am friends with the Schmidke family and I know they read this board....so I want to clarify that I am Hooper, not Hooper#5....we are two different people.

My hopes are that Calvin stays around as we need to build the program. Drinking underage and running when the cops bust the party...happens every weekend in every town in America, folks. Also, the disposition of his troubles in Washington were relatively minor (I originally cracked jokes like everyone at 11 citations, but I later learned many arose out of the same incident and were dismissed).

Lou West let kids of MUCH more suspicious character on the team. Suspend Schmidke but don't boot him, I say.

country123a

The Starter Level
I'd like to see him help turn this program around as well but it's going to take full dedication from everyone involved. Underage drinking at a party... Yes that happens all the time. Drinking at a party large and loud enough to attract police attention... bad idea.
Running from the police... worse idea. Resisting arrest to the point of getting subdued with a taser... gosh AWFUL idea.

I'm willing to see him stay around and prove himself but if he as much as jay walks from this point forward he should be gone. Period.

treefromafar

The Sycamore Level
Just for the record I am friends with the Schmidke family and I know they read this board....so I want to clarify that I am Hooper, not Hooper#5....we are two different people.

My hopes are that Calvin stays around as we need to build the program. Drinking underage and running when the cops bust the party...happens every weekend in every town in America, folks. Also, the disposition of his troubles in Washington were relatively minor (I originally cracked jokes like everyone at 11 citations, but I later learned many arose out of the same incident and were dismissed).

Lou West let kids of MUCH more suspicious character on the team. Suspend Schmidke but don't boot him, I say.
I respect your friendship with the Schmidke family, but I think a firm stance is necessary. Not knowing the full details of what was spelled out to him by Coach Miles when he came here, I can't say exactly what the punishment should be. If he was given a no tolerance, he should be gone. Reading your post is disappointing. It is a glaring example of a lot of our societal problems today. Saying what he did "happens every weekend in every town in America" is a cop out. Does that make it right? Also defending his 11 other citations is not helping this kid. As a father of 3 boys, I can appreciate a parent / or family friend wanting leniency on their kid. However, by doing this, you must also look at the bigger picture. You are setting a precedence that is doomed to be repeated. Crack down now and the chances of similar actions happening later in life are less. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

bent20

The Odum Level
That's just it though. Without knowing the full details of what went on we can't make the call. WTWO says he's suspended for one game. It would appear that Miles reviewed the incident and made his decision rather quickly. I think it will be interesting to see where things go from here.

Calvin probably screwed up his chances to be starting in the next game. He was about the only bright side of the So. Ill. loss. My concern would be that other players see what happened, see the punishment and think it's unfair. Hopefully not and hopefully for his sake he can avoid further trouble.

Shoot, I attended underage drinking parties in college. I even got into bars underage without bothering with a fake ID. I guess being in a band often helped. Love ya Terre Haute!

bent20

The Odum Level
I'm comfortable with that answer from Miles, but nervous that he only suspended him for a game then decided to extend it. Why wasn't he comfortable with his first decision? The suspension is appropriate, so is giving Calvin a second chance (how many chances has this program asked its fans for?) but from here on out Miles has to make sure Schmitdke understands why he keeps getting into trouble. It's not just about football for Calvin at this point, it's about getting into more serious problems. If he doesn't get these issues lined out now that could happen. If he wasn't a star QB for ISU with a history of recent problems do you think he ever would have tried to get away? Absolutely not, but he has to know that you can't escape a situation like that and you have to deal with the choices you make.

treefromafar

The Sycamore Level
Again, my thoughts go back to what was discussed between Schmidke and Miles when he first came here. If Miles says he has always said he would be treated like any other player, then I believe him. His stance in the article would support that. Where I would have a problem is if Miles spoke with Schmidke prior to his coming here, and told him he would have some sort of zero tolerance type of arrangement due to his prior transgressions. If he did that, then his response in the paper would show a lack of character and integrity. I for one believe Miles, and I also believe he has shown tons of character and integrity since he came here.

hooper#5

The Blue Level
Good remarks by Coach Miles. He shouldn't turn his back on this young man. A good coach wouldn't. I do think he needs a firm hand and guidance. Hopefully he will get that here.

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
Veterans were kicked off the team without question for missing team meetings and told never to return. I watched it happen with my own two eyes.

But the number 15 quarterback in the nation is someone we, "can't give up on".

This one I won't attack, Schmidtke IS the cornerstone of a rebuilding effort. Without him, there is no chance. He is a once in a lifetime recruit.

Now that he has been given his...what is it....13th? Chance let's see if he can make something of himself.