Schmidttke Out?

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

TH_Sycamore12

The Captain Level
Just saw a report on WTWO that he's left the program. Anyone have further details on this or where he's going now?

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Raetz used to take chances on kids a lot.

Tom,

Do you recall any players that were in similar situations to Schmitke that actually worked out?

Is this for real that he's gone?? Bummer, because now we are in a real bad spot at QB. No matter the turnovers or the other issues, I'd be WAY more comfortable with Dowdell or Schmidke at QB. Hopefully Ryan makes some MAJOR progress this off season, otherwise we woill be looking at a 1 or maybe 2 win season at best.

Wow, that was poorly written. A lot of bad information in there as well. He was never actually on the WSU team was he? It would also be nice to see them quote a source, but it's a TV station, so that would be asking too much. Maybe Golden will have something that's more solid.

memories...lol...

syd...yeah, dennis took chances on trouble kids now and then...but the situation had to be right...and he basically would tell them coming in that it was his way or the highway....they had to go to class, stay academically eligible, be on time for classes, practices and workouts, stay out of trouble on and off the field....if they did those things, then he would give them a chance to prove everybody wrong....

probably the best person that fit that type of situation was a wide receiver from south bend by the name of charles swann. charles has been an outstanding talent in high school, earning long looks from notre dame, michigan, ohio state, nebraska...to name but a few of the national major powers that were interested in him.

but he got into some trouble as a senior....was thought of as somewhat of a problem child...he came from a broken home and often rebelled against male authority figures...it turns out that he had been abused as a child....but those problems scared away most, if not all, of the major schools...

raetz took a chance on him. i was working in the sports information office at the time. he was quiet, sullen, painfully shy. but dennis worked with him, took him under his wing. i, as well as others associated with the program, befriended him....he wound up being one of the the best receivers, physically-speaking, in school history....he came out of his shell...was a key performer, especially the game that he had against kansas state....he scored a couple of touchdowns that game on long passes...he could run fast, jump...he just outathleted people....he was a division i player at an i-aa school...sort of a poor man's larry fitzgerald....he got looks from nfl teams but his pro career never quite panned out....he is now a high school teacher in atlanta....

there were guys like wide receiver john story from east chicago (state track champion, big schools wanted him for both football and track but he had academic problems). raetz took him in and he prospered at isu.

or running back tori vactor. the son of a former nfl player, he was sort of the duane thomas of isu football (for any of you who can remember the former dallas cowboys running back from the 1970s). hard to figure out kind of guy.

raetz mostly had successes with those kind of players. but they had to toe his line or they would be gone. there were others than he tried to help that didnt work out. former ben davis running back steve holman, who left michigan state due to off field problems. he could never get eligible at isu.

more recently, they tried to get former ben davis quarterback james banks into school after he flamed out at tennessee. and even though his dad played for raetz as a running back back in the 1980s, they couldn't get the son into school due to his academic problems.

as for schmidtke, i dont know if he is really gone or not. personally, i think trent gave him a second chance. if he didn't take advantage of the opportunity, that falls on the kid and not on trent or his coaching staff. you either wanna be there or you don't. t

Good radiance. Pack your shit and get outta here. No time for that around here... I am glad to see Miles take a chance on a kid. They even went public with it to make it known they were taking a chance on the kid, probably in hopes to put the kid more in the public spotlight (I have no idea really). But it didn't work out, fine who cares.

Next up! I would start Johnson at QB anyways. Either that or bring Kyle Tony former Terre Haute South QB back from the dead and start him. He never got a fair shake as a college QB. How can he do any worse than what we have already seen? I mean really?

for now, it's ryan roberts

for now, its probably going to be ryan roberts at quarterback. the kid was a safety until midway of his true freshman year. had to learn the offense on the run, literally and figuratively. didnt have time to work on his passing skills since he was pressed into service so quickly and with so little work at the position during the early part of the season.

i like what roberts can give to the offense. big, tough kid. has been compared in some circles to a jeff miller-type of quarterback. not the passer that miller was, not yet anyay. he needs someone to get with him and work on it all spring and summer long. and i do mean really work at it.

i think he's more of a worker than some of the other guys who tried to play there. and he has shown that he has no ego to soothe, which would be a change. he's a football player, whether its at quarterback or as a safety.

for me, and i know this goes back quite a few years, he really reminds me of a guy by the name of john allman who played in the late 1970s and early 1980s at isu. allman came to isu as a running back and made the switch to safety early in his career. he earned all-missouri valley conference honors as a safety. he was a very good all-around athlete. went on to play pro volleyball for awhile.

i know its a reach, but i see roberts as someone who could run something like the spread offense that florida ran for tim tebow two years ago. when he wasn't as polished as a passer as he was this past season for the gators. he set up in the shotgun, threw short passes and ran the ball. he managed the game. and i think roberts can do that if given the time and the chance to learn.

anyways, that's my two cents worth.

i like what roberts can give to the offense. big, tough kid...

Met this young man recently and he definitely has good size/height and a great demeanor.
I can't attest to this QB specific gifts but he seems to have the physical traits and mental attitude to become a good QB.

I'm excited to see how much this team progresses in the off season.

By all indications, Ryan has his head on right and seems to be a worker. They will need to figure out creative ways to get Gates and Grey the ball in open spaces (or find another playmaker--Donald?), and hopefully they can find a tight end who can be a factor. Roberts will never run very effectively in the MVFC, but he does take care of the football. He got dinged up a few times last year, so they need to find a solid #2. Johnson looked decent in last years preseason scrimmages, so maybe it's him. With the QB situation last year, I'm sure if Toney had the ability, he would have been thrown in there also. Morgan--nice comment ("pack your ****, and...). Many of the players read this board also, show some restraint please.

show some restraint are you kidding me??? Are you being serious right now??? Please don't tell me to show some restraint.

It's called if you don't like what you are reading either A. Do something about it or B. Don't read the headlines. If you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen baby! Same goes for you!

I don't have problem with anyone reading my comment "pack your shit and get out" why do you? I have no need for thumb sucking losers.... None what so ever! If you want him on your team then he can play on your team. We gave the kid a chance and he came here and messed up. BYE!

Last edited:
You're starting your juvenile BS again?? What do you mean by "do something about it"?? I like reading your comments on the basketball board--you obviously know basketball, know the local kids, and have meaningful insight. On the football board? I can't say the same. Last response to this. (and it would be a 3-4 hour drive for me, so I can't really do the meeting at the local establishments).

Well obviously you like to take personal shots at every post I make. I mean can you please tell me in what regard I was wrong? You must hate it when people get on here and know what they are talking about and are blunt. I tell you what from now on when I am posting anything I will keep in mind the fact that you are reading it and you don't want to hurt anyones feelings and that you want to make everything sound ok around here. I'm sick of OK around here.... I am sick and tired of seeing below average programs and people like you getting on here and telling me to chill. You obviously are a "new sycamore" fan and wouldn't understand what it is like to support a program like Indiana State that has enjoyed little success over the past 15 to 20 years.

I actually have a passion to see Indiana State have successful programs man. I go to the football games, I go to the basketball games, I work the national Cross Country Championships. I think I have ever right to be a little frustrated with what's going on here. Don't you?

Last edited:
we're ALL FRUSTRATED.....

for me, it's football, men's basketball and whatever happened to isu's nationally-recognized baseball program.

and if the current football players read this website.....

that's good. it should give them some feeling on how much people care about their program and want to see it succeed. that said, those same supporters aren't going to stand for guys who don't/won't work hard, won't toe the line set by trent and his coaching staff, and play hard when they're on the field.

fans are tired of players who talk a good game. and if those players want people to quit dissing them or the program, then they should go about doing whatever they can to get the program turned around in short order. they need leaders among the players. will anybody step up is the question remaining to be answered.

M--I've responded to exactly 2 of your 130+ posts. I'll stop. It's not your message or your intention that I have taken exception to (I agree with the "good riddance" part), it's the carry on bashing. My age must be showing; I turned 50 this year. I clearly have not been a Sycamore fan for long (although I was wanting them to beat Michigan State back in the day), and I appreciate your passion for wanting the teams to stop the drowning. I've posted plenty of negative comments about the football program, just not directed to or at individual kids. If a kid doesnt have the talent to play, he should'nt be here--the coaches invited them. If a kid gets an opportunity and has the talent, then wastes it--shame on the kid. They realize both without the bashing.

If a kid doesnt have the talent to play, he should'nt be here--the coaches invited them. If a kid gets an opportunity and has the talent, then wastes it--shame on the kid. They realize both without the bashing.

New Fan,

Well Said!

Your mentioned getting a playmaker at TE. Luke Ecimovic has committed to coming here. He is from Western PA. 6'4" with good hands. Keep an eye out for this kid.

What I am encouraged about is........ Trent has been getting rid of the kids that are not willing to make a committment and stay out of trouble. This is the absolute first thing that needs to be done.

All the kids on our team now are dedicated and willing to put in the time. Otherwise, we would not have had the #7 recruiting class in the country last year. Coach Miles tells the kids what he expects upfront.

This is how Coach Wiedie has been successfull with the Women's BB program. Let's face it, Coach Wiedie is a very intense coach who can be very hard on the girls. Most girls cannot take this, so he makes sure that they can take it before he brings them in.

Coach Miles is doing this....... He lets the recruits know that we have a long way to go and that they are expected to put in the time and effort. They did this last year. If you watched all of the games, there was a very obvious improvement from game 1 to game 12. In my opinion, we actually should have won 3 games. None of the Freshmen quit. During the Lou West era, we have players quitting left and right because there was no discipline or accountability. It was a joke. That has changed.

I think everyone would hope he can come in and be a good QB, but I'd rather see him redshirt. Playing the teams he's played this year then jumping in to the MVFC is a huge difference--just ask Ryan Roberts. He will need some seasoning and growth, but I'd love to see him be a big part of turning the program around.

Back