Signing day!

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

SydCamore

The Captain Level
Matt King - QB - Rockville
and
Taylor Brothwell - DL - Heritage Hills

These two ISU committs were both named to the Indiana Football Coaches Association Top 50 All-State.

If you look at the other athletes on the Top 50 All-State team, you will find quite a few players headed to Notre Dame, Minnesota, Indiana, etc. These two are coming to ISU!

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
That's fantastic! It looks like their stepping up in class in Indiana, which is great. Some excellent athletes already--the kid from South Bend, Donald from Cahokia... Who are the "sleepers" in this class? I remember looking at the board last year, and all the talk was about the 2-stars from Michigan, and some others, but not much talk about Bichey, Roberts, Sewall, Lough...these guys had good production and gained some great experience. Hopefully we'll have some more under the radar guys like this.

That's fantastic! It looks like their stepping up in class in Indiana, which is great. Some excellent athletes already--the kid from South Bend, Donald from Cahokia... Who are the "sleepers" in this class? I remember looking at the board last year, and all the talk was about the 2-stars from Michigan, and some others, but not much talk about Bichey, Roberts, Sewall, Lough...these guys had good production and gained some great experience. Hopefully we'll have some more under the radar guys like this.

Good Point! Let's all remember that Scout.com or Rivals.com are pretty much worthless for players at our level. Am I right?

You are right, lasy year we were talking about a handfull of guys that were going to be impact players right away. However, we did not mention the players that ended up having the best Freshmen season. Sewall, Lough, Bichey, Roberts, Borchers, etc.

I'm hoping we have some more of those in this class. I think that people are really going to like Dillon Painter. DB from Fort Wayne Snider. My guess is that he may play right away in the defensive backfield with Sewall. That is going to be a great combination for the next 3 or 4 years.

I think we are all going to be impressed with Luke Ecimovic as well. He is a 6'4" TE from PA.

I have seen video on LB Brandon Foster from Gibson-Southern Indiana. He looks pretty tough.

It's hard to tell who the "diamonds in the rough" are at this point.

No Surprises!

I heard that ISU signed all 24 or 25 guys that they believed they were going to.

Is there a complete list available yet, or do we have to wait for the news conference?

I just put together a partial, pieced together list of what's been on this board and on the public sites--on the "Austen Wozniak" thread.

Where's the beef?? It looks like a lot of promising skill position players and good TEs and LBs, but where are the much-needed linemen? On defense, should be ok with the returning players, although one starter may be moving to offense? I'd have liked to have seen more than 4 incoming Frosh at 250+.

Wow, we signed like 3,000 tight ends. I can only assume some of those guys will be playing at other positions unless we're going to the four tight end set, which would be interesting to see. A lot of defensive ends, too. Looks like a promising bunch. How is the kicker from North? I seem to remember a lot of inconsistency from our kicking game last year.

I was hoping for a few more O-Lineman but with these three we will have 14 OLmen for next year and that is without position switches and late signees. 14 is just about 3 deep and the we seemed a little thinner on the D-Line, especially D-end and we got quite a few of them. It does look like we upgraded our speed which was a real need.

I was at the NLI announcement.

Coach Miles said that this class is better than the #7 ranked class we had last year.

A few of the TEs will end up as Guards or Tackles, per the coaches.

They showed a highlight video of all the players. I liked what I saw. I'm sure the video will be posted on the website in the near future.

Last edited:
So, from those of you that actually know what you're talking about (unlike me), does this class plug holes that we evidenced last season? Is it a continuation of what we saw last year? Miles' saying that it was better than last year's class is quite a statement.

What are your thoughts???

What impressed me was the number of kids that we brought in this year that were 3 or 4 year varsity players for state champions. It is important to bring in "Winners".

Miles indicated that we still have holes. That being said, he is happy with the class that we brought in.

You take away Schmitdke, which we now have, and last year's class probably wouldn't have been anywhere close to #7. We probably place too much emphasis on that ranking. Two solid classes in a row is good news.

You take away Schmitdke, which we now have, and last year's class probably wouldn't have been anywhere close to #7. We probably place too much emphasis on that ranking. Two solid classes in a row is good news.

Last year's class was ranked 7th looooooooong before Schmitdke decided to come here.

However, I do agree that we may put too much emphasis on it. Bottom line, it was a better class then we have had in YEARS! This years class is as good, if not better.

According to the coaches last night:
a) We got some solid kids with "work ethic"
b) We got 4-5 All-State kids
c) We took kids away from 1-AA & Div-1 schools
d) We improved (for the 2nd yr) our student athletes
e) We got "speed"
1) "break-away speed" @ RB
2) "seperation speed" with "good hands" @ WR
f) We improved our size
All-in-all things look good. The coaches have worked hard & are deeply committed to ISU.
However, we are dealing with 18 & 19 yr old Freshmen. Some will excel, some will meet expectations and others will fail. Sports are like life; "survivor of the fittest" and most determined. Over all we are better. We have a President that cares, a determined & hard working Athletic Dept., coaches that "bleed blue", and Football players who want to be here. Things are getting better at ISU!

Syd is correct.

Schmidtke was not part of the original isu recruiting class last year. He came in after the fact a few weeks later. So that No. 7 ranking did not include him.

Now for a personal comment. I don't think losing Schmidtke is going to hurt the program one bit. As been said earlier on this site, you want to have players who fit into and accept what the coaches are doing. They have to buy in to the program and they have to want to be here.

Now I never met the kid. But that being said, I wonder if he thought he was "too good" to be at Indiana State? I wonder if his ego isn't one of his biggest obstacles. I admit that I could be wrong. But that seemed to be the case from the outside looking in.

I watched Ryan Roberts get around and talk to people at the letter of intent get together Wednesday night at Hulman Center. He talked to little kids and signed autographs, shook hands with fans. He really looked at ease with himself.

If you want a quarterback to the face of the program right now, Ryan seems to be right out of central casting. Saw another player, tight end Kye Butler, take a kid around to get autographs of other ISU players. That was great!!!!

That's what you want in your players. Good athletes, good workers, good students and good people. I know this is a used "coach-speak" slogan, but you want players with good character and not players who are bad characters.

Just my two cents worth.

It was great to see Ryan Roberts there sitting as close to the coaches as possible. He appears to be taking on the role of the team leader.

Also in attendance were Ben Geffert, Darius Gates, Mike Woods, Daniel Millington, Kye Butler, and I also saw Brandon Pence and Alex Sewall at the basketball game.

Good to see!

Coach Miles mentioned the support that he gets from former players and that is awesome. I believe that was lost over the last several years. Tom James you obviously deserve some credit for this. The newsletter that you send out to former players and coaches is working and engaging our alumni.

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but....

Derelle Hankins (DL) and Broc Miller (QB/WR) have transfered to and signed with Marian College. Just ignore this if you already knew about it, I'm just a bit behind I guess.

Back