So who is coming back and who's leaving

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

EvilleSycamore

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
Now that the season is done, I am wondering who we think will be not here next year or should i say who will not be here? Thanks!

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Now that the season is done, I am wondering who we think will be not here next year or should i say who will not be here? Thanks!
My only guess is that I would find it hard to believe that a former PAC-12 player who barely played at all in the MVC would return.

Regardless of names, I will also say they need to balance the classes so they can recruit evenly. Having a glut of 6 guys with sophomore eligibility is not a good thing so at least one scholarship needs to be found there. Unless the school is letting him go over the 13 limit with a waiver of some sort, we have to cut one just to be square.

I think the staff probably needs to find another two, maybe three, if we're being honest with what we watched this year. We need a PG that can handle the ball in the worst way, we need another shooter and I'd also like a frontcourt guy that can play both the 4/5 and bang down low, offensive rebound, and defend the post.

Just my thoughts, no inside knowledge, I think we see 4-5 departures. Hittle, Tucker & Peterson the most likely with Key being included as a departure.
We needed better play at the 5 and since JS didn’t try to develop Hittle and Tucker, I have to believe the writing is on the wall. Same with Peterson, JS obviously didn’t feel he could help with our lack of ball handling and burned his redshirt without giving him quality minutes (I know playing him @ UNI felt like a must).

I’m hoping he brings Crawford back because I love his athleticism, length and shooting potential. JS said earlier this year, Cam would have redshirted if Key would have played. I think he could develop into a Coupet-type player from SIU.

Regardless of names, I will also say they need to balance the classes so they can recruit evenly. Having a glut of 6 guys with sophomore eligibility is not a good thing so at least one scholarship needs to be found there. Unless the school is letting him go over the 13 limit with a waiver of some sort, we have to cut one just to be square.

I think the staff probably needs to find another two, maybe three, if we're being honest with what we watched this year. We need a PG that can handle the ball in the worst way, we need another shooter and I'd also like a frontcourt guy that can play both the 4/5 and bang down low, offensive rebound, and defend the post.
Why do we need a PG when we have Larry, Peterson and Thomas?

Thomas is not a PG. Peterson couldn’t even get into games that were blowouts before our walk-on (should tell you where he stood in the HCJS mind). Out of the 3 Larry is the best option but he can’t be depended on to run the point all season long as he also draws the other teams best player on the defensive end. Even if he is the starter we will need another quality player for the position.

Thomas is not a PG. Peterson couldn’t even get into games that were blowouts before our walk-on (should tell you where he stood in the HCJS mind). Out of the 3 Larry is the best option but he can’t be depended on to run the point all season long as he also draws the other teams best player on the defensive end. Even if he is the starter we will need another quality player for the position.
I think Thomas and Peterson can either one play PG. I guess we'll just have to see.
As far as Peterson not playing. He and Crawford should have been playing. Either could have outplayed some of the guys that were on the floor. But, again, we'll see. I just hope our two talented FR do not give up and leave.

Well, to say Rob Martin is a ball handling PG is an understatement. The only question is will he be able to get on the floor next year.
And if he is on the floor, do we have anybody else that will play defense to replace Larry.
Even as a poor shooting team, if we had just tried to rebound and play D and value the ball this year our record would have been much better.
In my mind, we need size and shooting but we also need IQ and effort. We do have some decent athletes. And our team offense was not good. What happened to the team that played Old Dominion?

This reads like a 5-YOs Dear Santa wish list

We'll have to see if the fat ol' elf is generous in 2022

Question......Did Peterson play enough to burn a year????? What are the maximum playing time for burning a year????
Before his injury and health issues, I thought JS thought highly of him.

Question......Did Peterson play enough to burn a year????? What are the maximum playing time for burning a year????
Last time I checked it was any time on the floor. Not sure if that's correct now.

a frontcourt guy that can play both the 4/5 and bang down low, offensive rebound, and defend the post.
I've watched Avila play on YouTube and I can't tell if he is a banger. He plays the whole game and I think he is supposed to avoid fouls. One game I noticed that he stepped up his play in the 4th quarter.

he's credited with 35 minutes over 4 games

is that under the max allowable for RS years?

Last edited:
my prediction:

Tucker - gone

Key - gone

Hittle, Peterson, Crawford, Thomas - pick 1 maybe 2

We don’t really have a point guard on the team. If we’re being technical, Cam Henry was our most used PG this year. Out of our most commonly used lineups, Henry was the one who facilitated the offense the most.

I don’t know if that was out of design or necessity, but I’m thinking more out of necessity. We just need more guys who can handle the ball proficiently. Just about everyone on the team is a below-average or worse ball handler.

Going off of pure turnover rate, Micah is the only player on the roster I would say is a PG, but his play drastically fell as the season went on. I do expect him to be much better next year, though.

We don’t really have a point guard on the team. If we’re being technical, Cam Henry was our most used PG this year. Out of our most commonly used lineups, Henry was the one who facilitated the offense the most.

I don’t know if that was out of design or necessity, but I’m thinking more out of necessity. We just need more guys who can handle the ball proficiently. Just about everyone on the team is a below-average or worse ball handler.

Going off of pure turnover rate, Micah is the only player on the roster I would say is a PG, but his play drastically fell as the season went on. I do expect him to be much better next year, though.
In conference play, Thomas and Larry were the only players with more assists than TO's. Larry was far and away the best. Henry was the facilitator a lot, though.
But defensively, we did have the three guys that are quick enough to play the 1.

Too bad everyone can't improve their handle like DB did. We need more layups and less jump shots.

In conference play, Thomas and Larry were the only players with more assists than TO's. Larry was far and away the best. Henry was the facilitator a lot, though.
But defensively, we did have the three guys that are quick enough to play the 1.

Too bad everyone can't improve their handle like DB did. We need more layups and less jump shots.
You have to factor in usage when evaluating A/TO. I won’t bore you with the details, but let’s just agree that nobody on the team was any good at it. Bledson had the most positive assist numbers, but he also lead the team in TO%…by a lot.

I thought all year that Larry was too conservative with his passes. He really didn't have enough TO's. You have to take chances sometimes to generate shots. It's like a pitcher throwing too many strikes, which can happen in softball.

Coach seemed to want Henry start the offense. If he can improve his decision-making he has the talent to do that well.

Martin is just what the doctor ordered for playmaking. His height does limit him, though. That's why we got him.

You have to factor in usage when evaluating A/TO. I won’t bore you with the details, but let’s just agree that nobody on the team was any good at it. Bledson had the most positive assist numbers, but he also lead the team in TO%…by a lot.
By the way, I love details and statistics. That was my job for 30 years.

Back