Summer Workouts

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I like how Voss looks in his video. Obviously theyā€™re not going to show him missing, but in just about each clip it shows him making contested, tough shots. Thatā€™s a huge quality to have in the Valley with the physical play the league is known for.

Iā€™m also seeing Miller getting some regular run with what looks to be our top 8-ish guys. Are we (or maybe just I) underselling what he brings to the table and his PT potential?

I assume none of us know how they stack up, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller get quality minutes.
I've watched them all on Youtube. Voss is an athletic scorer that can shoot. I think his talent is up there with Henry. If we get some good play at the 4-5 and defense in the middle; fill in around Voss and Henry and we should be ok. I'm pretty sure Cade, Stephens and Avila can help inside.

I assume none of us know how they stack up, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller get quality minutes.
I've watched them all on Youtube. Voss is an athletic scorer that can shoot. I think his talent is up there with Henry. If we get some good play at the 4-5 and defense in the middle; fill in around Voss and Henry and we should be ok. I'm pretty sure Cade, Stephens and Avila can help inside.
I would be surprised by it too, but the last time I remember buzz around a relatively unknown player we were talking about Tre Williams.

Iā€™m just interested by how much Millerā€™s name continues to come up, but that could also just be Luke Martin looking for content.

looks like Miller came prepared to fight for minutes just like everybody else. If he is able to learn and fit in with offense and defense then he might find playing time on a loaded roster . If he shows out thatā€™s another recruiting score for a coach that many people feel like still needs ā€œto prove itā€ at the d1 level. We just need it to translate to success on the court. Iā€™m hopeful. āœŒļø

So many interchangeable partsā€¦..I think the only players who will definitely get major minutes will be Voss, Henry, Neese, Stephens and Kent. Strictly speculation of course.

So many interchangeable partsā€¦..I think the only players who will definitely get major minutes will be Voss, Henry, Neese, Stephens and Kent. Strictly speculation of course
Last year Schertz admitted he didnā€™t want to play stephens with another big. If he decides to throw that out the window that changes how stephens and McKnight see the floor.

Also, Gibson should be running point and getting big minutes.

Early is the offseason and Schertzā€™s lineups are always unpredictable, but my guess right now.

Gibson/Larry/Martin (maybe redshirt)
Neese/Hobbs/Miller (Hobbs and Miller in a dogfight)
Henry/Kent/Crawford (hope he uses his redshirt
Voss/Avila/Bledson
Stephens/McKnight

-A lot of new faces that need to prove themselves at the MVC-level, but a ton of depth here.
-Big difference for Jabo to be at the bottom of the depth chart.
-Kent could be really good coming off the bench.
-Havenā€™t seen enough of Avila to say much about him playing at the 5.
-Just from videos Iā€™ve seen, Cade is going to have to work on his agility to guard at this level.
-We lost so many close ones last year. I think depth and talent improvements result in a winning season in Year 2.

looks like Miller came prepared to fight for minutes just like everybody else. If he is able to learn and fit in with offense and defense then he might find playing time on a loaded roster . If he shows out thatā€™s another recruiting score for a coach that many people feel like still needs ā€œto prove itā€ at the d1 level. We just need it to translate to success on the court. Iā€™m hopeful. āœŒļø

I'm not sure that he needs to prove anything to me... But so what if he does? The guy has been a D1 coach for 12 months now... Anyone that enters into any job surely has something to prove if they want to keep that job. So like - yeah he should personally feel like he has something to prove.

And as it relates to Miller or anyone else "IF" they show out as you say then it's a recruiting score. That is ummm always the case for literally every coach in the country. If you recruit a player. They become successful. That equals a feather in the cap and recruiting score. I thought we all kinda understood that was how the process worked - but maybe not. For those that didn't know good to remind them I suppose.

I can't see Gibson getting many minutes.
I canā€™t remember if I had this conversation with you or somebody else butā€¦somehow most of the full tusculum games on YouTube seem to be his worst. If you go by that then I donā€™t blame you because he had a few duds. But if you scout the box scores and listen to the people who know him way better than we do then you hear great things about his scoring, passing, and defense. Heā€™s a fifth year dude who stacked up accolades throughout his career.

last yearā€™s team often played without a point guard because M Thomas got benched quite a bit. Even in the positionless system a great point guard changes things quite a bit. I thing Gibson is that dude as long as he competes and wants it. I have no reason to believe he wonā€™t want to be that guy.

I'm not sure that he needs to prove anything to me... But so what if he does? The guy has been a D1 coach for 12 months now... Anyone that enters into any job surely has something to prove if they want to keep that job. So like - yeah he should personally feel like he has something to prove.

And as it relates to Miller or anyone else "IF" they show out as you say then it's a recruiting score. That is ummm always the case. If you recruit a player. They become successful. That equals a feather in the cap and recruiting score. I thought we all kinda understood that was how the process worked - but maybe not. For those that didn't know good to remind them I suppose.
I think he has to prove it because most people on the team started out higher on the depth chart. Plus everybody says the system is hard to get acquainted to. He has to learn it and heā€™s doing that now.

On the recruiting thing: hypothetically what if Miller is awesome and gets big minutes and buckets all yearā€¦doesnā€™t Schertz get a ton of credit for bringing in a d2 player and stashing him as a walk-on. If all of those things happen then the commentators are going to bring up ā€œd2 walk-on is one of the best players (or whatever.) thatā€™s a recruiting coup, steal, isnā€™t it? Another feather in the capā€¦

I think he has to prove it because most people on the team started out higher on the depth chart. Plus everybody says the system is hard to get acquainted to. He has to learn it and heā€™s doing that now.

On the recruiting thing: hypothetically what if Miller is awesome and gets big minutes and buckets all yearā€¦doesnā€™t Schertz get a ton of credit for bringing in a d2 player and stashing him as a walk-on. If all of those things happen then the commentators are going to bring up ā€œd2 walk-on is one of the best players (or whatever.) thatā€™s a recruiting coup, steal, isnā€™t it? Another feather in the capā€¦

I don't really buy into the "hard to get acquainted" to noise very much. It's basketball and most of these guys have been playing since they were what 6 years old or so? In that time they've played for a lot of different coaches and a lot of different styles of play. All the noise about his system being difficult to grasp is all hype to me. What is hard to understand about cutting - moving without the basketball - sharing the basketball - driving it and looking to kick to shooters - look this is all just basketball and these guys shouldn't have any issues adjusting to this system.

You are paying more attention to the commenters talking about D2 recruits than I am... I guess if you want to put a little higher level of score on a recruit that comes from D2 then go for it. That is also playing right into the hands of they very commenters that you are talking about. If he gets a higher score for a D2 recruit being successful then aren't you kind of admitting in a round-about-way that those guys might be less likely to succeed at this level? I don't see why they should be viewed any differently than any other recruit? I ran track against plenty of really really talented D2 guys back in the day that could have competed just fine for Indiana State and many other D1 schools.

I don't really buy into the "hard to get acquainted" to noise very much. It's basketball and most of these guys have been playing since they were what 6 years old or so? In that time they've played for a lot of different coaches and a lot of different styles of play. All the noise about his system being difficult to grasp is all hype to me. What is hard to understand about cutting - moving without the basketball - sharing the basketball - driving it and looking to kick to shooters - look this is all just basketball and these guys shouldn't have any issues adjusting to this system.

You are paying more attention to the commenters talking about D2 recruits than I am... I guess if you want to put a little higher level of score on a recruit that comes from D2 then go for it. That is also playing right into the hands of they very commenters that you are talking about. If he gets a higher score for a D2 recruit being successful then aren't you kind of admitting in a round-about-way that those guys might be less likely to succeed at this level? I don't see why they should be viewed any differently than any other recruit? I ran track against plenty of really really talented D2 guys back in the day that could have competed just fine for Indiana State and many other D1 schools.
I dont even think we are arguing different points here:

I have faith that the d2 guys are going to be fine. Mostly because they are handpicked by a coach with a ton of success who knows what heā€™s looking for. Iā€™m more saying this for the people who donā€™t have faith. There might be some here but really just thinking out loud instead of arguing with people on Twitter.

this is for the people all over the world who donā€™t understand context. D2 doesnā€™t always mean less talented. I understand now that there are many reasons why dudes go d2. Schertz hopefully makes hay by finding hidden gems and gives them a chanceā€¦

one of the points with Miller is that you donā€™t typically expect impact in games from walk-ons. If Miller finds himself in the rotation then Schertz looks very smart for stashing a capable player as a walk-on. Instead of 13 players you have 14. That is all.

I canā€™t remember if I had this conversation with you or somebody else butā€¦somehow most of the full tusculum games on YouTube seem to be his worst. If you go by that then I donā€™t blame you because he had a few duds. But if you scout the box scores and listen to the people who know him way better than we do then you hear great things about his scoring, passing, and defense. Heā€™s a fifth year dude who stacked up accolades throughout his career.

last yearā€™s team often played without a point guard because M Thomas got benched quite a bit. Even in the positionless system a great point guard changes things quite a bit. I thing Gibson is that dude as long as he competes and wants it. I have no reason to believe he wonā€™t want to be that guy.
I admit, I could have seen him at his worst. It looked to me like he didn't have the D1 vertical that he needs to be a player. I guess we find out in November, if not before.

I admit, I could have seen him at his worst. It looked to me like he didn't have the D1 vertical that he needs to be a player. I guess we find out in November, if not before.
Thatā€™s probably fair. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen him dunk or play above the rim.

some people here will probably hate me for saying this but his game reminds me a lot of Jake odum. High free throw percentage, capable scorer at all the levels. Has to outsmart his opponents instead of physically dominating. Good at hiding in passing lanes and reading plays before they develop on offense and defense. Knows when to leave his man and provide extra help defense. Crafty passer who can thread the needle. Contorts body to make difficult layups and midrange shots, which often leads to opponent fouls.

Iā€™ll be crucified for this but i think Gibson has similar PG intangibles and tangibles that made odum elite.

if Iā€™m way off and Gibson doesnā€™t play much then Iā€™ll be gladly eat a serving of crow next March. āœŒļø

Thatā€™s probably fair. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen him dunk or play above the rim.

some people here will probably hate me for saying this but his game reminds me a lot of Jake odum. High free throw percentage, capable scorer at all the levels. Has to outsmart his opponents instead of physically dominating. Good at hiding in passing lanes and reading plays before they develop on offense and defense. Knows when to leave his man and provide extra help defense. Crafty passer who can thread the needle. Contorts body to make difficult layups and midrange shots, which often leads to opponent fouls.

Iā€™ll be crucified for this but i think Gibson has similar PG intangibles and tangibles that made odum elite.

if Iā€™m way off and Gibson doesnā€™t play much then Iā€™ll be gladly eat a serving of crow next March. āœŒļø
You sound like you have a better grasp of his abilities than me.

Back