Sycamore Mt. Rushmore

View of the Valleys

The Recruit Level
On the latest episode of View of the Valleys TJ gave his Indiana State Mt. Rushmore at the 31:10 mark of the show. Here is the link to the show on Apple & Google podcasts.

Let us know what you think.

Sycamorefan96

The Captain Level
I listened to it this morning. Duane Klueh should have been on there in place of Jake Odum. He was one of our best players we've ever had here, besides Bird of course. He was the 1948 NAIA Tournament MVP where we finished as the national runner up and is one of three players to have their jersey retired at ISU. Before the 19-20 season him and Bird were the only 2 up there, although Carl Nicks without doubt deserves to be up there.

He also became a coach here later on for mens basketball and has more wins here than any other coach. In my opinion they should rename the court after him.

I would personally make a case for Larry Rzeskewski who was the 1950 NAIA Tournament MVP and an all-American in 1949. We won our only national championship in 1950. I know it's not Division 1, but a championship is a championship.

But for me the mount rushmore here has to have the three guys who's jerseys are retired (you got 2 of the 3). Number 4 is debatable, and John Sherman Williams is a pretty reasonable pick. I'm curious as to what the other Sycamore fans on here will say.

View of the Valleys

The Recruit Level
Thanks for listening! We really appreciate it.

I gave strong consideration to Duane Klueh for the reasons you mentioned, especially the contributions as a coach. Like I said on the show, there was probably recency bias for Jake. He was one of the most identifiable players when I started paying close attention to The Valley and they were successful as well.

Sycamorefan96

The Captain Level
I was intrigued by the top 3 list of nicest basketball arenas. I can't really disagree with the MVC list too much, but Tennessee Tech definitely has the best arena in the OVC and I was surprised they didn't even make the list.

Here's my list for MVC for all 10.

1 MSU
2 ILSU
3 BU
4 SIU
5 UE
6 ISU
7 UNI
8 DU
9 LUC
10 VU

When the HC renovation is complete later this year we should move up to at least 4th on my list if it turns out the way I think it should. UE is nice, but the seating arrangement is just odd especially for basketball.

View of the Valleys

The Recruit Level
I apologize, I didn't realize I had made the "University of Indiana" mistake until you pointed it out. I should have known better.

What year did Indiana State go DI? From what I have been able to find they played DII into at least the late 1960's.

View of the Valleys

The Recruit Level
I was intrigued by the top 3 list of nicest basketball arenas. I can't really disagree with the MVC list too much, but Tennessee Tech definitely has the best arena in the OVC and I was surprised they didn't even make the list.

Here's my list for MVC for all 10.

1 MSU
2 ILSU
3 BU
4 SIU
5 UE
6 ISU
7 UNI
8 DU
9 LUC
10 VU

When the HC renovation is complete later this year we should move up to at least 4th on my list if it turns out the way I think it should. UE is nice, but the seating arrangement is just odd especially for basketball.
I had my first trip to HC this past season and I am excited to see the renovations. That's a great point about the seating at UE, sometimes hosting both hockey & basketball make it difficult. The folks at Bradley make it work as well as anybody.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
I apologize, I didn't realize I had made the "University of Indiana" mistake until you pointed it out. I should have known better.

What year did Indiana State go DI? From what I have been able to find they played DII into at least the late 1960's.
really? you want to crank out podcasts on the Valley and OVC and you're NOT going to do your homework?

Indiana State completed their transition to Div I in 1971. The 1971-72 season is considered the "start" of Div I status by the NCAA.

They do mention our entire history prior to 1947-48 as well but for your reference point; 1971-72 is the "first" season of Div I.

Last edited:

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level

Dan Bush played D1. He was MVP at a tournament we won in Las Vegas.

I should be more patient when others make mistakes, but i thought the D2 thing was a serious error.

Sycamorefan96

The Captain Level
I had my first trip to HC this past season and I am excited to see the renovations. That's a great point about the seating at UE, sometimes hosting both hockey & basketball make it difficult. The folks at Bradley make it work as well as anybody.
The lower bowl at the Ford Center is actually nice, but the upper bowl doesn't make much sense. I'd like to know who's idea it was to not make it go all the way around and then have most of the seating up there at the one end.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
The lower bowl at the Ford Center is actually nice, but the upper bowl doesn't make much sense. I'd like to know who's idea it was to not make it go all the way around and then have most of the seating up there at the one end.
Perhaps the plan was to optimize construction for concerts vice minor league hockey and never-sold out Div I MBB... Thinking I was last in the place in 2013 or 2014