Sycamores at Bradley

goindystate

The All-MVC Level
ISU currently trailing by 6 in the 1st half, the game is on the radio only, no live stats for this one as Bradley plays their women's games off campus.

It's on the Crock927.com

Indians1

The Sycamore Level
Doesn't sound like we are shooting the ball too well. Hope this improves in the second half as we are still in the game.

goindystate

The All-MVC Level
ISU is getting blown out in this one, currently down 18 with less than 4 min. to go. Sounds like alot of turnovers have plagued ISU.

Meanwhile Illinois State is crushing UNI, so ISU will fall into a 2nd place tie with Creighton with a HUGE game coming up Feb. 7th at Illinois State. That game is on ESPNU too for those who have it.

now 7-2 in the MVC and 11-9 overall. For being down 3 key players that's still pretty good.

N

nothinbutnet4me

With being down three key players why is coach not playing his entire bench. Why are some of the players sitting the bench and getting no playing time and others continue to turn the ball over and get beat baseline and others not even be given a chance. Come on coach give the bench a chance they might just surprise you.

I

Ilovebasketball

With being down three key players why is coach not playing his entire bench. Why are some of the players sitting the bench and getting no playing time and others continue to turn the ball over and get beat baseline and others not even be given a chance. Come on coach give the bench a chance they might just surprise you.
glad you brought this up have waited and talked to many of the isu players and would like to see other kids get a chance. Consistent turnovers and lazy defense for some of the players give some of the others on the bench a chance Weide. I have listened to the last few interviews and you comment on players needing to step up with the injuries that you have had. How can kids show you what they have if all they do is sit there play them all

Indians1

The Sycamore Level
First and foremost it is "Coach Wiedie", and I think he is doing a fantastic job. The youth on this team, injuries, etc.....would make most of us wonder "Why Me?", but Coach is going out day in, day out w/ confidence in his team. Instead of questioning who is playing and why someone is not.....support this team and the outstanding job they are doing. I have faith in his ability to judge talent and perhaps some just aren't ready to be thrown into the fire. It is a big jump from high school to college and everyone makes strides at different times. If someone is put in when they are just not quite ready, it could send them back insofar as confidence, and they may never be the player they could have been.

This team has so much talent and with more coming in next year I would venture to say there will be some battles for playing time next year. You have to bring it every day in practice in order to get better and gain the confidence of your teammates and coaches.

bent20

The Odum Level
Given how well they've been playing of late, it would seem the coach has been doing a really good job. This was supposed to be a down year for the women's program. I think it's exciting to see what they've been able to accomplish. You do have to prove yourself in practice.

I

Ilovebasketball

First and foremost I never said anything bad about Coach Wiedie all I said was I have listened to several of his interviews after the "injuries" and he talks and names all the players and says someone is going to need to step up. How can a player do that while sitting? that is my question and if you are down by twenty then give another kid a chance. I am sure that these kids do give it all in practice and then some, but how can Coach say one thing and do another. I have seen the last couple games where certain players have had numerous turnovers and dumb fouls and he still doesn't give them all a chance. I think Coach Wiedie has handled the situation with the injuries well but see what all your players can do not just certain ones. Go Sycamores keep up the hard work !!!!

ssoats

The White Level
First off,Indians1,great post. This team is 7-2 in conference at this time and I am sure if someone told Coach Wiedie or any of the players on the team that at the halfway point in the conference this is where they would be, they would be pleasantly surprised. I am not sure about the negative posts about a few of the players not seeing the court. They were put in on Sunday at the end. The reason some are getting alot more playing time than others is the way they practice. We are not there during practices and although it is easy to look from the sidelines and gripe, how do we know which players out there are playing not only in games, but also in practices with the same intensity that comes with a winning team? Which kids day in and day out are giving Coach Wiedie what he asks for on the practice floor? This is where we need to dig deep because this is the heart of the team.

I

Ilovebasketball

I agree with both of you they are doing great in conference and we are not there at practice. Coach Wiede stated in his interview that the bench is going to have to step up and he named three or four players by name I am just saying how can one do that when they see little or no playing time. I am not attacking just simply asking a question that's all. I have not missed a game and have enjoyed watching the success of the Lady Sycamores, despite the injuries.

Indians1

The Sycamore Level
Believe me, I Love Basketball, I know and understand your frustration in the playing time of some of the "bench players". It is hard to go to practice, try hard, and not reap the benefits of playing in a game. I think the adjust as a freshman is very tough. Most come in as their "star" player of their high school team, only to get junk time in games. It is a serious learning curve that some just can't adjust to. Role players are very key in the college game. If coach needs you to go in and relieve a teammate for two minutes, then that young lady needs to bust her butt to give 100% for that two minutes. If a player doesn't get in, then her role is to encourage her teammates on the floor. Perhaps to her that isn't a big "role", but it truly is important to the success of each and every team. To some girls just being part of the team is enough reward, while others want to play and contribute in game situations. All girls on that team are contributing 100% to the success of this years team even though they aren't seeing floor time. It is much harder to come in off the bench and get the feel for the game. A coach once told my daughter in junior high, that it is not who starts, but who finishes the game. A good example of this recently is Cooley. She started early in the season and is now 6 man. When she enters the game, it give a huge boost to the team by her presence. She seems content w/ this process and never skips a beat in her leadership. I haven't heard much resentment from any of the players, so I think, as usual it is harder on those who love these kids to watch than those who are participating. We all want the best for these kids and this team.

Let's not be like some of the supporters, and I use that term loosely, of the men's team.

Ong Hop

The Sycamore Level
When Coach calls the girls out by name he is sending a signal. Apparently they & you are not getting it. He's telling the girls:
a) you still don't know the plays,or
b) you don't work hard enough in practice, or
c) both of the above
This is not intermurals. If they don't get with the program and appreciate the opportunity they now have, someone else will. Scholarships are NOT a 4 year deal they are year-to- year. It's simple, learn the plays and play in practice like it's a game.
Everyone has to earn their playing time and that means in practice or you sit the bench & ask why.

I

Ilovebasketball

Indians 1 great post and i agree with everything you said it is very frustrating to watch all the different kids play or not play, and from game to game it does change. As for you Ong Hop when he calls them out by name in an interview and states how well they are doing in practice and working hard then does not play them makes no sense to me. We all know this is not intermurals. Who said anything about scholarships?