Terry Parker Resigns to Accept Assistant Coaching Position at University of Alabama at Birmingham

GoSycamores

The All-MVC Level

Indiana State head basketball coach Greg Lansing announced today (July 1) that assistant coach Terry Parker has resigned to accept a similar position at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Parker recently completed his sixth season as a member of the Sycamore basketball coaching staff.

More...

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Surprised we got six seasons out of him. Not shocked he is heading back to the South considering he is from Georgia and recruited the region for us. Good luck over there.

Will be interesting to see who is hired. Does he elevate Jake? Does he go after another former player in Khristian Smith over at Texas Tech? Does he go after someone with no ties? Would also be interested to see if the salary for that spot dropped in light of the pandemic so that may very well hamstring who he can/can't target.

child

The White Level
Jake seems like a natural, hope it happens. But whoever can recruit best that we can afford appears to be the answer.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
I'd love to have Jake promoted to Asst Coach, but it wouldn't surprise me if the timing isn't quite right. He's only got a single season of 'voluntary asst' under his belt, he may need a little more experience before getting that promotion.

Hooper

The Starter Level
Surprised we got six seasons out of him. Not shocked he is heading back to the South considering he is from Georgia and recruited the region for us. Good luck over there.

Will be interesting to see who is hired. Does he elevate Jake? Does he go after another former player in Khristian Smith over at Texas Tech? Does he go after someone with no ties? Would also be interested to see if the salary for that spot dropped in light of the pandemic so that may very well hamstring who he can/can't target.
After finishing 3rd in the Valley with 10th-place resources and playing in a construction-zone arena, ISU still refuses to extend Lansing's contract. That will make it that much harder to bring in an assistant when they know their boss only has this season left on his deal. Yet another self-imposed hurdle making it that much harder to succeed at ISU. It just gets so tiring.

Sycamorefan96

The Captain Level
I think Clinkscales wants to hire his own guy as HC and I wouldn't doubt that Lansing's ex-wife wants him gone either. If Lansing has a losing season this coming up season I'm not sure how he saves his job. He should have got a one year extension after this past season to help us with our recruiting. How can he even recruit right now? You got guys that are going to be juniors and seniors in HS and Lansing can't even offer a guaranteed scholarship because he could get canned and the new coach could just bring in whoever he wants. They could also end up coming here and not fit into the system and the new coach cuts them. You can't really fire a guy after a 3rd place finish, but a decision should have been made besides just doing nothing.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
I wish coach Parker nothing but the best at UAB.

I would love to see JO promoted.
I too, wish the best for Parker! And agree, would love to see Odum promoted, we watched him during the games we attended last year and loved his enthusiasm towards the players, he was so much more positive than Lansing, who always wore a scowl on his face and rarely got excited when good things happened for ISU. We need people with better positive attitudes on the bench and Odum would be awesome!

jben

The Recruit Level
All the best to Coach Parker....a good guy. As for the next hire......it is all about the money. Tough times and tough decisions ahead.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
After finishing 3rd in the Valley with 10th-place resources and playing in a construction-zone arena, ISU still refuses to extend Lansing's contract. That will make it that much harder to bring in an assistant when they know their boss only has this season left on his deal. Yet another self-imposed hurdle making it that much harder to succeed at ISU. It just gets so tiring.
Pretty much why I think it will be JO. Easy to convert and I assume he was paid a couple peanuts last year so a paying gig would be a step up, even if it is three peanuts. Normally I'd bitch but seeing what the virus is doing to business everywhere, I understand. I'm still just hoping there will be a hoops season.

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
It will more than likely be JO promoted for a lot of the reasons already discussed (lack of funds, his familiarity with the system, Lansing’s short contract, etc.). My concern with JO is how quickly can he establish relationships in recruiting circles? I doubt as an unpaid assistant that he had much of a hand, if any, in recruiting where TP was definitely hitting the pavement on behalf of the program.

Maybe Carey and Richardson can handle the load, but an assistant has to do more than just coach.

shootingsycamore

The Sycamore Level
There's a website that some here are probably familiar with, "Indiana Gateway" there is a section that you click on "Public Employee Compensation". There you can enter any public employee in the state. That includes all ISU employess including the President, Athletics, Alumni Affairs and Foundation employees. Terry Parker made $73,594.53 in 2019.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
There's a website that some here are probably familiar with, "Indiana Gateway" there is a section that you click on "Public Employee Compensation". There you can enter any public employee in the state. That includes all ISU employess including the President, Athletics, Alumni Affairs and Foundation employees. Terry Parker made $73,594.53 in 2019.
Lansing said TP will be doubling his salary at UAB.

HOOPSFAN

The Varsity Level
Need new blood ...... Lansing needs to move on.

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
This thread is funny... You go away for the summer and this is what happens.

1. TP was a great guy and I am happy for his new opportunity! I enjoyed getting to know the man and am so glad he was able to coach in TH for the past 6 season. I hope he continues to do great things in the coaching world.

2. I would love to see JO elevated. Any question about his experience in being able to get a promotion is ridiculous. It's 100% the move they should make - if they don't I would question if JO wanted it...

3. I've said in the past - just because they haven't released details about a contract extension doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed or at least verbally agreed upon. No hiring news has come out of ISU that I can recall post COVID-19. They have not replaced or announced the replacement for CC Coach Kyle Walsh - that season is just around the corner and should tell you all that you need to know about ISU intentions in releasing any information re. a contract extension... Simply not important right now.

4. The suggestion that Angie Lansing wants Greg Lansing "gone" is ridiculous. Even if she thought that she wouldn't say that to anyone outside her immediate family - my family and I have known Angie for years and she is not that type of person. I am not sure what that has to do with anything and why you would even bring that up.

Thank you.

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
Why is questioning JO’s experience ridiculous? He has none, and while I think he has a ton of potential his lack of track record should at least be brought up. It’s clear that he has a connection with the players, but it’s unclear to me what he does outside the lines.

This is no knock on JO. It’s just worth discussing. If he wants the job, it’s most likely his to turn down...especially at the salary TP was making.