TH North/TH South Game

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

SydCamore

The Captain Level
Might as well start a new thread for the North/South game.

Predictions?.....................

I am not predicting this one because I am not in position to do so. However, I am interested in your thoughts.

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
Whoa! Hold up. why are you not in a position to predict? Please elaborate?

South 62 North 48

Odum goes for 20 pts 10 stls 10 ast. 6 blocks
Jarvis goes for 22 on 4 of 9 from 3pt

The rest is history!

HoopMaster

The Varsity Level
6 blocks for Odum?

The game will be decided by the officiating. I don't mean this in a bad way.

If the officials are more "let them play", its all South, all night.
If they call it tight, then that will help North keep it close.

Tight officiating will cause South some problems with their press, and I think depth for South is an achilles for them. An illness to Odum, who plays point? McGill? Rose?

I say 69-54 South

Odum 20
Jarvis 17
McIntire 14

Gant 20
Anderson 19

HoopMaster

The Varsity Level
Hehe, not a problem, he does almost everything, but 6 blks seemed out of place.

Whatever the outcome it would be nice to see Odum, Jarvis, Gant and Anderson to all have good games.

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
Hehe, not a problem, he does almost everything, but 6 blks seemed out of place.

Whatever the outcome it would be nice to see Odum, Jarvis, Gant and Anderson to all have good games.

I concur! I would love to see those guys all play well. If THN had a true PG they would be dangerous. Zach Harrison is a solid player - shoots the ball well. But he does not have very good handles.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
my prediction? More will see this game than (actually) attended any ISU game this season.

P

prof. hardwood .

I concur! I would love to see those guys all play well. If THN had a true PG they would be dangerous. Zach Harrison is a solid player - shoots the ball well. But he does not have very good handles.

on the contrary zach has become very adept at putting the ball on the floor.

HoopMaster

The Varsity Level
Zach has for sure added that to his game, he is not a catch a shoot only now, but he still looks unsure bringing it up court against pressure.

Too much ball pressure I think for North to be able to get it to the bigs

True Blue

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
Craig,

I could not get the podcast to work. I do have a question though. There has been some discussion on here about whether or not Odum is the best pg in the state. I assume you or Andy have seen a lot of players and I was wondering where you think he ranks? Does he have a shot at Mr. Basketball? Not many players have the stats he does across the state. Might make for a good article in the paper!

TH_Sycamore12

The Captain Level
South won 49-46. They at one time had a large lead but North made a final push in the 4th. North's Gant had a chance to tie the game with a late fast break but was blocked by Adam Austin. Great play. I don't know about the rest of you but I think this kid (Austin) deserves a scholarship to play somewhere, maybe a JUCO or something. He hustles, grabs rebounds and if he's on the bench is the first one on the court high-fiving the ones coming off.

Odum had a good game. Sorry I dont have his stats right now. JMJ was a no show. I'm pretty sure he didn't score over 5 points if any. But that's not his fault. I find myself questioning Saylor's play calling in "big" games.

SydCamore

The Captain Level
I do not have bias opinion here. I am a neutral fan.

The play where Gant "missed" a layup or had his shot "blocked" was right in front of me. He did miss the initial layup when he was trying to adjust for the defenders after making a great steal. He got the rebound and was fouled hard on the put-back. No Call! The officiating was terrible both ways. I do not think that either team gained an advantage from the below average officaiting.

IMHO, Gant was by far the best player on the floor. It's really not even close. THN actually put the 6'8" Gant on Odum on defense. It worked very well because Gant played it smart and did not go for the jukes and fakes and did not let him get to the basket. Great coaching job by THN's staff! They obviously studied a lot of film and watched South play quite a bit.

Odum played well. He handles the ball very well and makes pretty good decisions. He is also a very good defender.

I had the same question about the Adam Austin kid. He is not DI material, but he can play. I was told that he is probably going to college on a Track and Field Scholarship.

South keeps plugging away. What is it 14-3, now? I think they will make a good run in the state tournament. Good Luck to Coach Saylor and THS!

HoopMaster

The Varsity Level
wow

I was at the game, wow. The only player I was dissapointed in was Jarvis. If Chase Jones from North can hold him to 5 points.......

Odum struggled with his shot some with North putting Gant on him, but as good players do he got his other teamates involved and thats how South ended up winning.

Gant had a hard time getting the ball against the 1-3-1. He was open many times and they didnt see him, or couldnt beat the pressure.

Gant's breakway to tie was CRAZY........great hustle by south to get back and it appeared that he did get fouled but I dont fault a no call either.

Excellant gameplan by North,but souths bench beat Norths to decide it.

ISU needs Odum and Gant

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
Supporter
So what's the verdict? Is Odum an immediate, automatic impact player for us, a potential starter, depth or what? what about speed and quickness for D1 ball. Strength?

HoopMaster

The Varsity Level
wow, thats hard to answer. Odum is very crafty, which can make up for some physical limitations. Gant did a nice job on him and has probably never guarded a PG before.......any idea when Odum plays North Central? Ill see how he does with their guards.

True Blue

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
I thought Gant did an o.k. job. I never thought he was the best player on the court, especially the second half. I actually thought the Gauer kid played the best for North for a stretch. He only had 2 points but had a game high 6 assists and took over the pg role for the first time in his life there in the second half. Odum got to the basket just about whenever he wanted but passed it out to 3 point shooters or cutters most of the time. THS's gameplan was interesting to say the least. They played right into THN's hands by slowing it down. THS should have ran North into the ground. Also, I would of had Odum drive right at Gant everytime down court to draw some fouls on him. If they play in the sectional, I think THS will run, run, run and you will see Odum go right at Gant.