The Basketball Non-Con Schedule You Want

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
For those of you who's day is ruined after having seen the men's non-con schedule, you should check out the women's...you'll either love it or find something to complain about it...

Indiana State 2022-23 Women's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule
November 3 – LINCOLN (Mo.) – 6 p.m. (exhibition)
November 7 – SAINT LOUIS – 11 a.m.
November 16 – CENTRAL MICHIGAN – 6 p.m.

November 20 – at Purdue – TBA
November 26 – OHIO – 1 p.m.
November 29 – CHICAGO STATE – 6 p.m.

December 10 – at Western Michigan – TBA
December 14 – WESTERN KENTUCKY – 6 p.m.
December 18 – PURDUE FORT WAYNE – 1 p.m.
December 21 – DETROIT MERCY – 6 p.m.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
For those of you who's day is ruined after having seen the men's non-con schedule, you should check out the women's...you'll either love it or find something to complain about it...

Indiana State 2022-23 Women's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule
November 3 – LINCOLN (Mo.) – 6 p.m. (exhibition)
November 7 – SAINT LOUIS – 11 a.m.
November 16 – CENTRAL MICHIGAN – 6 p.m.

November 20 – at Purdue – TBA
November 26 – OHIO – 1 p.m.
November 29 – CHICAGO STATE – 6 p.m.

December 10 – at Western Michigan – TBA
December 14 – WESTERN KENTUCKY – 6 p.m.
December 18 – PURDUE FORT WAYNE – 1 p.m.
December 21 – DETROIT MERCY – 6 p.m.

I'd argue Chicago State has no ability to sustain themselves as a legit D1 athletic program... legit schedule, good on the WBB staff for limiting lower classed teams to exhibition - the way it should be

I see why people complain about lower class teams on the schedule as it "looks bad" to the average fan, but you does everyone understand it hurts our ranking metrics to play a "Chicago State" as it drags down the SOS and heaven forbid you lose that game.....yikes! Playing against teams from other divisions simply doesn't count toward NCAA ranking metrics. So, bitch about it all you want, but the smart play is to go lower division if you can't schedule a game with middle tier or better.

I see why people complain about lower class teams on the schedule as it "looks bad" to the average fan, but you does everyone understand it hurts our ranking metrics to play a "Chicago State" as it drags down the SOS and heaven forbid you lose that game.....yikes! Playing against teams from other divisions simply doesn't count toward NCAA ranking metrics. So, bitch about it all you want, but the smart play is to go lower division if you can't schedule a game with middle tier or better.

so by your logic; we should only play the mandatory MVC games and the rest of the MBB schedule should be filled with games vs. NAIA Div II teams, NJCAA teams (bring in Wabash Valley, Lincoln Trail, Moberly Area and the always powerful VU Trailblazers...), round out the remaining games with A/A games to HCAC and Crossroads League teams

so by your logic; we should only play the mandatory MVC games and the rest of the MBB schedule should be filled with games vs. NAIA Div II teams, NJCAA teams (bring in Wabash Valley, Lincoln Trail, Moberly Area and the always powerful VU Trailblazers...), round out the remaining games with A/A games to HCAC and Crossroads League teams
By God, that is precisely what I am saying......seriously, how is this your response to what I said? I would love to have our OOC schedule filled with Purdue, IU, Notre Dame, Illinois, St. Louis, (insert your top level mid major here), but that isn't happening. Most mid majors have a tough time filling the Non Con with good teams, unless you live in a state that requires you to play other state schools, (i.e the state of Iowa). I made the erroneous assumption you would realize I meant when you have the option of playing a Chicago State or non D-I team, you opt for the latter when trying to build the best metrics resume.

By God, that is precisely what I am saying......seriously, how is this your response to what I said? I would love to have our OOC schedule filled with Purdue, IU, Notre Dame, Illinois, St. Louis, (insert your top level mid major here), but that isn't happening. Most mid majors have a tough time filling the Non Con with good teams, unless you live in a state that requires you to play other state schools, (i.e the state of Iowa). I made the erroneous assumption you would realize I meant when you have the option of playing a Chicago State or non D-I team, you opt for the latter when trying to build the best metrics resume.

Playing a game vs. a non-D1 provides nothing to the team nor to the fans. How many Tree faithful will watch the Trinity Christian game? How many times have we all watched the team slog through a game vs. an NAIA or D2, D3 opponent?

At the end of the day - it just doesn't freakin' matter how a mid-major team stacks their schedule to "break the (latest) formula" the P5 schools have crafted for themselves because every couple of years, there's a "new formula to capture the most 'ACCURATE' data to (continue) giving a random Top 100 P5 school who wins 18 gms, (incl their conf tourney), inishes in a 4-way tie for 6th in a 18-tm P5 conf an at-large to the NCAA over a more deserving mid-major

So, I say "F**k the formulas, go schedule the BEST (NCAA Div I) teams we can and win those games, home or away.

the P5 schools are NOT going to cede power and scheduling NAIA and Div 2, Div 3 teams are not the answer to seizing power

Every Div I conference would get 2 auto bids, one for the real (regular) season champ and one for the school that gets hot and wins their 3-4 day conf tourney

If a conference only has a team that wins both, the conf sends it's designated team

would people scream about expanding the NCAA MBB tourney? sure but to hell with them - add 16 more slots

Last edited:

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
It absolutely does matter how an MVC school puts their schedule together because NET ranking is the current tie breaker after head-to-head for conference tournament seeding. Now, that may be changing with 12 schools and unbalanced schedules, but as it stands right now we should be doing everything we can to be in the best NET position possible.

I have no misconceptions about our future at-large opportunities, but getting the 4th seed at Arch Madness versus the 5th is HUGE.

It absolutely does matter how an MVC school puts their schedule together because NET ranking is the current tie breaker after head-to-head for conference tournament seeding. Now, that may be changing with 12 schools and unbalanced schedules, but as it stands right now we should be doing everything we can to be in the best NET position possible.

I have no misconceptions about our future at-large opportunities, but getting the 4th seed at Arch Madness versus the 5th is HUGE.

Sure and the MVC could also craft an MVC-specific formula for the same purpose.

NET isn't going away, until it does for the NEXT formula, I guess I'm just a fan who prefers a team WIN enough games to NOT fall into the the "... NET ranking is used as the current tiebreaker option 3.5.9"

Are sports changing? Sure, will that drive more or fewer people to watch them? Remains to be seen -- but look at the crap that MLB has dumped on the fans in order to "quicken the game" (but only if it goes into extra innings...)

ISU is division 1 and we should only be playing other division 1 schools in both football and men's basketball. There's 350+ of them now; it shouldn't be that difficult.

My perfect schedule as of today's climate, not necessarily listed in order of preference.
1) Ball State
2) Western Kentucky
3) South Dakota State
4) North Dakota State
5) Eastern Illinois
6) Southern Indiana
7) Northern Kentucky
8) Wright State
9) P6 Buy Game
10-12) MTE

Honorable Mentions that I'd be perfectly happy with if any of the top 8 couldn't be scheduled for some reason:
Northern Illinois, Toledo, Miami OH, Ohio, Milwaukee, Green Bay, SE Missouri, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, South Dakota, Bellarmine, Arkansas State, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee, IUPUI, Ft Wayne, Eastern Kentucky, Cleveland State, Oakland, Detroit Mercy, Akron, Kent State, Morehead State

I named off 34 realistic good options pretty easily. If we can't get 8 of those schools to schedule us in H/H's then it's from a lack of trying.

Back