YES - I VOTE FOR THIS

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

HOOPSFAN

The Starter Level
Supporter
Can confirm reports that the ACC basketball coaches are proposing an ALL-IN NCAA tournament. "Just working on the bracket," said a source. Who doesn't want a 350-team bracket?? Wow.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Will they all get a participation ribbon, and will a player's mom bring snacks and juice boxes for after the games?

Why not 4 AQ's per conference? You want talent more distributed? Make the structure permanently like that and players will go where ever they need to go to optimize chances to play in the NCAA tourney. Either shrink it to 32 or 64 with only auto qualifiers or expand it with auto qualifiers to 128, 256 or everyone.

I am not opposed to, and in fact favor, an all-inclusive tournament. A lot of the local big school fans loved the non-class, every body in the field HS tournament. All the litanies about the little guys having just as good of a chance as Ben Davis and Lawrence North. Well college is inherently more fair than HS because every school can recruit the same number of scholarships. Inequities will continue to exist but somehow Rosedale playing TH North each season seems far worse than Gardner Webb vs. Kentucky.

I'm all for this. Make the non-conference season shorter, play the conference games, and then go straight to the tournament. If they want to seed it based on NET or whatever go for it. At least everyone gets a shot.

I agree but I am totally against arbitrary or subjective seeding. Draw them out of a hat. Sounds like Hoosier Hysteria.

I agree but I am totally against arbitrary or subjective seeding. Draw them out of a hat. Sounds like Hoosier Hysteria.

Imagine how big the ratings would be (as well as the hype and discussion afterwards) if you had the list of every team that was going to be in the tournament and drew names out like a ping pong ball system to fill in the bracket. Talk about must watch TV.

It is obvious they are trying to recoup potential losses by their athletic's department. They know if they televise more tournament, they can squeeze out more money. IMO, this proposal makes much more sense:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1303706034544939008

I would be happy with this system. Now the small conferences would get their best teams in and not have their 7th place team have a great 3 day stretch, make the tournament and be less competitive against the bigger schools. The regular season should be rewarded more than what it is.

I would be happy with this system. Now the small conferences would get their best teams in and not have their 7th place team have a great 3 day stretch, make the tournament and be less competitive against the bigger schools. The regular season should be rewarded more than what it is.

Another method is to scrap the 34 conference tournaments. Each conf gets 2 autobids; one for the conf champion, the other to be selected at the conf's discretion; that's 68 teams and the NCAA tourney remains at current size

OR

increase NCAA to 128 teams; each conf gets 3 autobids; one for conf champion, two for conf's discretion, that's 102 picks; allow for 26 at-large teams.

Back