'18 TN PG Trenton Gibson (4/9/2022)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

I know I'm new around here and all but when guys talk about depth aren't we talking about more than just warm bodies? I just figured we were all talking about actual talent behind talent when depth is discussed.
Yes, depth is synonymous with a more talented bench. I am glad that you and most people get that. : )

Running with 5 guys sounds good if you have 5 guys that never get tired, injured, or commit fouls. If not, then depth is pretty important.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I was just looking at Yesefu's stats the other day. Guy couldn't get off the bench except with the walk-ons.

I think Key would play more than Yesefu, but unless Texas Tech is losing several guys, I don’t see Key playing 25+ minutes per night there.

Oklahoma might be a better landing spot based off Moser and less competitive guard play.

Short article by Todd Golden has been posted regarding Gibson’s signing. I found the following quotes from Schertz to be pretty interesting:

"The question every team has to answer, and you don't know right away what the answer will be, is what the commitment level going to be? How competitive will we be? How connected and unselfish will we be? How resilient are we going to be? How will we handle adversity? Will we stay healthy? Those will be questions answered over the year, but the base question of do we have the talent and the character to compete for championships. We feel we have the roster to accomplish special things," Schertz said.

No more post game excuses about the lack of talent or about our margins being thin. Schertz himself says we have the talent to compete for championships.

Short article by Todd Golden has been posted regarding Gibson’s signing. I found the following quotes from Schertz to be pretty interesting:

"The question every team has to answer, and you don't know right away what the answer will be, is what the commitment level going to be? How competitive will we be? How connected and unselfish will we be? How resilient are we going to be? How will we handle adversity? Will we stay healthy? Those will be questions answered over the year, but the base question of do we have the talent and the character to compete for championships. We feel we have the roster to accomplish special things," Schertz said.

No more post game excuses about the lack of talent or about our margins being thin. Schertz himself says we have the talent to compete for championships.
I just watched the Tusculum loss to Newberry. Gibson had a pretty bad game. Didn't come close to a 3. Three airballs. Lost the handle a few times. Made some nice passes. Can finish with contact. Average athlete.
I'm not convinced he is a starter after watching this particular game.
I understand it is probably not a typical game for him.

I just watched the Tusculum loss to Newberry. Gibson had a pretty bad game. Didn't come close to a 3. Three airballs. Lost the handle a few times. Made some nice passes. Can finish with contact. Average athlete.
I'm not convinced he is a starter after watching this particular game.
I understand it is probably not a typical game for him.
I know it's 1 game, and I know they play different positions, but what would you say about Gibson's athleticism in relation to Cam Henry?

I know this is premature, but athletically he reminds me of a Devonte Brown or Scott. He is NOT an NBA prospect IMO.
Any of you can watch it and form your own opinion.
I want to emphasize that he made some outstanding passes and has great court vision. Certainly ranks up there with Odum or Bledson in that regard.
He seemed reluctant to shoot mid range jumpers but ok at creating contact on drives. Anybody that has watched Martin knows that he does the same thing.

I know this is premature, but athletically he reminds me of a Devonte Brown or Scott. He is NOT an NBA prospect IMO.
Any of you can watch it and form your own opinion.
I want to emphasize that he made some outstanding passes and has great court vision. Certainly ranks up there with Odum or Bledson in that regard.
He seemed reluctant to shoot mid range jumpers but ok at creating contact on drives. Anybody that has watched Martin knows that he does the same thing.
If Gibson gets to the line like Brown I won't be mad at all. Dude couldn't shoot from deep but he was a bulldog.

I know it's 1 game, and I know they play different positions, but what would you say about Gibson's athleticism in relation to Cam Henry?
Not close. He is not a jumper. Will not be able to drive in traffic, but I think he can kick it out if he can get into the lane.
Not sure how quickness and handle translate to D1.
He is a team player and I think he plays pretty smart with good court vision.

Back