2020 ISU (and MVC) Baseball Season Thread

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Sycamorefan96

The Green Level
Preseason Poll just released today.

1) DBU= 61(5)
2) MSU= 51(1)
3) ILST= 49
4) ISU= 40(1)
5) BU= 38(1)
6) UE= 21
7) SIU= 18
8) VU= 10

I believe Max Wright is our only returning position player (catcher). Colin Libertore was our weekend's second day pitcher last season and did pretty well. I am thinking this will be a little bit of a rebuilding season for us, but I am still expecting us to have a fairly good season. I heard our recruiting class was really good.

DBU is always good and I guess they return a ton of players from last year. They are ranked 23rd in one national poll. MSU was down last season, but is normally pretty good. I think ILST lost their really good pitcher to the draft last season but they still should be decent. Bradley was decent last season, but wasn't good enough to make the NCAA Tournament.

The MVC Tournament is going to be at SIU this season. Thankfully it is not at MSU or DBU. It will be close enough that I should be able to attend again.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Indiana State vs Pittsburgh

Its a rough start to the year for our Sycamores. Pitt leads 6-0 in the 5th inning. Offense is struggling to do anything, Collin Liberatore, who shined last season, is getting rocked today. Giving up 3 2-run homeruns. I hope its just a slow start, but this lineup doesn't appear to be very good....atleast early on. I will be following all season, whether we are good or bad. Just was hoping for a better start.

This is definitely going to be a rebuilding season for us. Every position player we had last season graduated except for our catcher. I do expect us to improve and contend for a top 4 spot in the MVC standings. I haven't heard any official word, but I assume that the MVC baseball tournament will have the same format it had this past season.

It has only gotten worse. Now 10-0 in the 6th...however the Sycamores have runners on base, threatening to score.....and we do, but only one. Had the bases loaded with one out and one run in....but had back-to-back strikeouts to retire the side.....Man this is hard to watch after the season we had last year.

Last edited:
It can be hard to watch at first, but also enjoyable to watch the guys grow into their roles. It is only the first game. Lots of baseball left to be played.

Sycamore Baseball Drops Season Opener at Snowbird Classic to Pitt

image_handler.aspx

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – Nine Sycamores made their first career starts for Indiana State Friday as Indiana State dropped its season opener to Pittsburgh, 11-1 at the Snowbird Classic in Port Charlotte.

More...

Kent State Downs Sycamores in Extras, 4-3

image_handler.aspx

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – Indiana State baseball fell in 10 innings to Kent State, 4-3 on day two of the Snowbird Classic in Port Charlotte, Florida Saturday afternoon.

More...

Kent State Downs Sycamores in Extras, 4-3

image_handler.aspx

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – Indiana State baseball fell in 10 innings to Kent State, 4-3 on day two of the Snowbird Classic in Port Charlotte, Florida Saturday afternoon.

More...

I know we are only 2 games in, but Dallas Baptist and Missouri State are the only two undefeated teams left in the MVC. SIU won the series with Jackson State 2 games to 1. Everyone else has yet to win a game. Today we take on Ohio State who is ranked 24th in the Baseball America poll.

Got it tied up in the bottom of the 9th after trailing 6-4. Going to extra innings. Had bases loaded but couldn't get the final run in to win it. We lead 12-8 in hits and Ohio State has 5 errors compared to our 1. Would be nice to get this win.

Sycamores Drop Extra-Inning Affair to #24 Ohio State

image_handler.aspx

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – No. 24 Ohio State used four runs in the 10th inning to secure a 10-6 victory over Indiana State Sunday afternoon at the Snowbird Classic.

More...

Rough start to the season starting 0-3. ISU probably should have won the last 2 but they're pretty inexperienced. I think it'll take some time for this team to really get it going. Max is out for awhile with that broken wrist and that's a huge loss especially for the pitching staff. I'm not sure they'll be a real contender in the MVC because this will likely be a rebuilding season. Never know with baseball though. Maybe they catch their stride soon and go on a big run. We'll see. Hope to see some of you at some baseball games this season!

ISU has some winnable games this weekend in Florida. Omaha on Thurdsay, Dartmouth on Friday, Omaha again on Saturday, and Chicago State on Sunday. Here's to hoping they can get back to .500 or gain some confidence before the schedule gets tougher.

Watching DBU play UT Arlington right now. DBU is up 2-0 in the 6th. They are definitely a first class program. Even their TV broadcasts are A+ quality and they're free to watch. Sometimes I complain about the travel down there but we really are lucky to have them in this conference.

Sycamores Continue Play at Snowbird Classic with Four Games

image_handler.aspx

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – The Indiana State University baseball team continues play at the Snowbird Baseball Classic in Port Charlotte, Florida this weekend. The Sycamores face Omaha Thursday at 3 p.m., Dartmouth Friday at 3 p.m., Omaha Saturday at 1 p.m. before wrapping up a seven-game stretch with Chicago State Sunday at 1 p.m. All four games will be played at the North Charlotte Region Park and will be available via FloSports, a subscription based streaming service. Live stats will be available via GoSycamores.com.

More...

Lineup for today's game against Omaha:

LF Dominic Cusumano
2B Brian Fuentes
1B Miguel Rivera
CF Sean Ross
DH Mitch Barrow
SS Jordan Schaffer
3B Diego Gines
RF Brandt Nowaskie
C Grant Magill

First pitch is set for 3:05 ET