Harry ineligible

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
BUMMER.

But as a guy who graduated from ISU despite not always having the best academic semesters I can say, I feel for ya buddy.

I'm sure Harry will turn it around and come back strong in 2009. Hopefully even make some appearances in late 2008.

Not that there's a bright side, but this will force Rasheed and Tyler to step it up sooner rather than later.

Wasn't Harry initially a walk on with an academic scholarship? I feel for the kid, but without any info, we don't know what happened. Logic would lead you to believe if he was a good enough student to get an academic scholarship, he is pretty smart. He probably got a bit lazy in his studies, meaning I think this was due to a lack of effort on his part, not a lack of smarts. Just my opinion. Hope he gets it staightened out.

Wasn't Harry initially a walk on with an academic scholarship? I feel for the kid, but without any info, we don't know what happened. Logic would lead you to believe if he was a good enough student to get an academic scholarship, he is pretty smart. He probably got a bit lazy in his studies, meaning I think this was due to a lack of effort on his part, not a lack of smarts. Just my opinion. Hope he gets it staightened out.

Excellent point about his academic scholarship. I forgot about that. Golden's comments really don't help, but I understand why he can't say more.

This was discussed before I believe on the other board...it wasn't an academic scholarship it was a 21st Century Scholar which is more for an outstanding person rather than an outstanding student...

The 21st Century Scholar is for moderate to low income families. Students must apply in the seventh and eighth grades with the family meeting income guidelines.

Where are Henry Viligas and Dick Bender when you need them. Someone has to pay attention to academics.

Interesting. I have no doubt Harry can get the grades up if that is the problem. I remember being in a math class with Steve Hart back in the day. I was only a sophomore and he was in what must have been his fourth or fifth year of college. I remember he and others staying after class to get some help. I can relate, math has never been my strongest subject, but the TA in that class had a real talent for making it easy to understand. Instead of going through multiple examples in a rush he'd take one and break it down. I went from failing the class a semester earlier to an A.

All,

I'm not sure it was a "he can't get the grades" issue. Sources say otherwise.

Bottom line, Harry will miss some games. He will be back and this will not be an issue in the future.

Hooper, you are incorrect on the 21st Century scholarship requirements. Quoting from the ISU website:

Freshmen applicants must meet 21st Century Scholars Program requirements designated by the State of Indiana; have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average based on a 4.0 scale; and strong SAT/ACT scores and class rank.

There are requirements for the specific institution as well as state requirements for the scholarships. My point was is that financial need is only ONE of the requirements for the scholarship.

Back