It's time to dump ALL available resources into the program...

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
That $100 million endowment is relatively new as well... I believe that Dr. Curtis was charged with getting that endowment over the $100 million mark by 2025... and she did it...

She was pretty open, vocal, PUBLIC with her desire, goal to grow the endowment VS. working on the Annual Fund yearly. The endowment "works forever," the Annual Fund is collected every year & spent every year...

Further it? We play 4 schools from North and South Dakota.

Holy F*ck...

Smithfield, Rhode Island - home of your beloved Bryant Bulldogs is only 989 miles from Terredise
Charleston, South Carolina - home of Charlie South Pirates is 799 miles

Grand Forks, N. Dakota - home of UND Hawks is 914 miles
Fargo, N. Dakota - home of ND State Cows is 835 miles
Brookings, S. Dakota - home of SD State Bunnies is 758 miles
Vermillion, S. Dakota - home of USD Coydogs is 658 miles

Guess you DON'T buy your own diesel

Last edited:

At some point we have to realize just how poor the football program has been. Is it contributing materially to student and community success? There are lots of very good people in the program and have been. Still, would it be the end of the world to move down the ladder with football to ensure success in other programs?

I'm a fan of this concept for many reasons but one of them isn't that I hate football. Football is an incredible sport but not every school has to be great at every sport. See the Big East as an example--they aren't even a football conference.

At some point we have to realize just how poor the football program has been. Is it contributing materially to student and community success? There are lots of very good people in the program and have been. Still, would it be the end of the world to move down the ladder with football to ensure success in other programs?

I'm a fan of this concept for many reasons but one of them isn't that I hate football. Football is an incredible sport but not every school has to be great at every sport. See the Big East as an example--they aren't even a football conference.
Yes! For those that want to keep football and drop down to a lower conference to save money is a win for both sides of the argument. You antis get your money for basketball, and we keep football. Man, why can’t you antis agree with that? If the students didn’t want to pay their portion for football, then they would and should disagree with it. After all, it’s their money.

Yes! For those that want to keep football and drop down to a lower conference to save money is a win for both sides of the argument. You antis get your money for basketball, and we keep football. Man, why can’t you antis agree with that? If the students didn’t want to pay their portion for football, then they would and should disagree with it. After all, it’s their money.
This isn't something you should include in your argument. For one, it's a collective fee for all of athletics and, two, if there was ever a survey asking students if they'd want their fees to go to football, you wouldn't like the responses lol

Some variation of "the walk" happens at least twice a week while campus is in session. It's only during homecoming when it happens in the daylight that all the Karen's suddenly care
Nothing has changed since I was a student. Moving down the ranks of the football ladder will not change anything about the way fans and students behave. Winning would change that but let's be serious here: affording a contending football program would be more resource intensive than it would return.

So if you wanna know if the crawls will end: nope. Nothing will change about student behavior.

Totally. In fact, ISU and Terre Haute have already proven with the "Ralley in the Valley" that they can hold a tailgate-type of event downtown. Homecoming could simply be moved to the first home basketball game of the year (early November)....still have the parade, still have Trike, etc.
Even trike sucks. What a joke they have made of a once fun event. No flying exchanges, stuck behind a slow trike in pit lane. It's bad

At this point more than ever I'm not too overly interested in dumping everything we have into men's basketball just to help the Big 10, Atlantic 10, SEC, etc. develop players and coaches. We should do what we can to compete in the MVC, but being the Gonzaga of the Midwest is a pipe dream unless we find a billionaire that wants to adopt us.

Quite frankly baseball is where it's at for ISU and that's because it's a non-revenue sport. Plus we were lucky enough to have Bob Warn build up the program, and later find a CWS alum in Mitch Hannah's that has continued to do the same. Basically two coaches that were/are 100% passionate about ISU and view(ed) this place as their dream job.

If only there was a way to make ISU basketball more attractive and more likely to be a "dream job" for basketball coaches...
This isn't just about coaches though. When a B1G school is offering $250K in NIL to one of our star players, we can't compete with that. I think I read our entire NIL collection was $270K and that was during a good year where people were more than willing to donate. Keep in mind that some of that money does not go towards basketball. Terre Haute isn't a rich community and we don't have Chaifetz ($LU), Koch (W$U), or some other billionaire funding us.

I brought up baseball, because outside of maybe the $EC and southern ACC schools, I doubt too many college baseball players are getting huge offers. Most of the scholarship guys (11.7) are probably getting something at this point, but it isn't anything like a good football or basketball player will get, unless said athlete really knows how to market themselves.

If only there was a way to make ISU basketball more attractive and more likely to be a "dream job" for basketball coaches...
I think it would have to be an alumni or local person for this to be a dream job. the top end at other locations will always look better for someone who wasnt.

Trying to be a Football Conference is a PRIMARY reason the FBS landscape looks the way they do today

Back