Starters?

bent20

The Odum Level
Does anyone have a pretty good idea who will be starting this year? I know who will at a couple of positions, but beyond that I can't say. I was looking at the roster on gosycamores.com and was curious.

Don't know for sure if you are meaning for basketball or football but I would say that school is still out on both fronts at this point unless you plan to pick them by media information only and not by any other reasonable method?

TJames

The JSW Level
hard to tell by going by the current roster on the isu website

the roster hasnt been updated with people like schmidke or the new offensive lineman. or the none of the preferred walkons are listed either.

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
Expect most of the freshman to start. Miles has absolutely gutted the old team. Unless some of the veterans show up in camp and just absolutely play football then they will start, but I see Miles cutting the old from the new in a straight line, not diagonally.

S

S.W.In99

OHH...this is gonna lead to a very successful team in the next few years to come. There's gonna be several frosh starters and they're gonna gain valuable experience. Look for a Frosh Qb, Wr,OL,DL, and LB to be starting. Might kinda be a long year as wins and losses go, but the trade off is worth it for the years to come.
I expect Schimdke(Sp) to start as Qb, with 2-3 freshman WRs starting and/or in the Wr rotation. Calvin's got himself kids to throw to for his college career(if he stays outta trouble). I expect a very good passing game for the next 4 years.

bent20

The Odum Level
So does everyone think it's a given that Dowdell won't be the starter at QB? He already has some experience and a lot of people seem to think he has talent, too.

S

sycamorefanatic1

I believe the quarterback position to be wide open. Dowdell showed some promise last year and has the most experience. Schimdke is obviously very talented. Don't forget their are three other talented QB's. I am sure Coach Miles will go with the QB who earns the satarting spot and gives us the best chance of winning. With just one win in 3 years I would guess their are zero guaranteed spots although we have some talented returning players who will most likely start. I am very impressed with our recruited receiving corp. so there will be some great targets to throw too along with some talented running backs. If our pieces come together look-out!! You will -Fear the Trees !!!!!

TJames

The JSW Level
dowdell no. 1 for now

this is just a guess, but i would think dowdell would be the starter for now. he's been in the system for a bit longer, albeit just a few months longer. still, i would think he would be no. 1 heading into camp. schmidtke will have to earn the job. they're not going to hand it to him. and even if he eventually does win the job at some point, probably early in the season, i wouldn't be surprised to see them use dowdell as a receiver or running back. he's too good of an athlete to keep on the sidelines. they could line him up outside and run reverses or a pass off a reverse. or line him him in the shotgun like texas did with vince young and let him handle the ball. while dowdell is not a great passer, he's pretty raw right now, he does throw well enough to make some things happen in the right kind of situation. or you could see a two quarterback system, depending on the situation, until one or the other wins out.

S

S.W.In99

SchImke(SP) will definetly come in and earn the spot. No doubt it my mind. He is way way to talented. Atleast 2-3 times better than Dowdell is. No way in heck this kid sits behind a Qb a class ahead. He is also a smart,savy, accurate pass. No of those apply to Dowdell. Plus play where Schidmke played in Washington was better football than Dowdell played and put up better numbers and suceeded. He will not be far behind in experience. Plus he has already been giving the playbook and stayed a week with Deidrek this summer. They want him to start. Seliger and Toney are not talented enough to play D-1AA football in the MVC and succeed.
And those Wrs are gonna give the Qbs chances. 2 Indiana All-star football players. Blue is a big time athlete I hear. Very polished for as young as he is, and he's a tall kid, who I've seen in Jasper have great hands. I hear that Dorset kid is kid too. Big time body. COuld be good in the Redzone. Roberts is an athlete but will be new too the position. Could take him a year to learn the position. Kramer is very quick and could be a slot, but appears alittle little right now. I really think most of these Wr's will be as good and/or better than your current crop. Get them experience now!!! With Schimdke!!!!