'12 IN SF Nick Wiggins (Wichita State Verbal)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Wichita probably has the best recruiting class for a valley team in a number of years. Couple juco all americans and a espn top 100 guy to go along with other solid players. They wont be as good as they were last year but yikes in two years they will be very tough.

Who is the ESPN top 100 guy?

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
van vleet. the PG from Illinois

Sorry, that was an attempt at sarcasm. Mr. Vanvleet has been controversial on here so I was stirring the pot. WSU has a good class coming in will be interesting to see if Hawkins and Early qualify. If they do the show might be able to stay out of the basement next year.

Last edited:
Since this thread took decidedly WSU recruiting class turn, I'll tell you what I know and try to be objective.

Cleanthony Early - 6'8" SF JuCo AA and PoY. 40% from 3 as a JuCo Fr, 35% as a So. I've seen videos of him dribbling to lead a fast break and using a crossover at full speed around the FT line to get an easier shot. No eligibility issues known.

Fred VanVleet - 5'11" PG - top 100 by espn, scout, and cbs. #138 and "most underrated" on Rivals.

Deontae Hawkins - 6'7" SF. Thought to be an immediate contributor, but unlikely to qualify.

DeRail Green - 6'7" SF out of Houston. 40%+ from 3. Considered a RS candidate to bulk up a bit.

Henry Uwadiae - 6'11" Nigerian post - Definite RS candidate if he gets past the NCAA clearinghouse, which is an issue. He's been in something like 5 prep schools in the last 2 years.

Nick Wiggins - 6'6" Jr - JuCo AA - SG/SF - WSU signed him over Baylor and Oregon State. Can score from 3. Known to be a slasher.

There are some interesting players coming off of either redshirts or transfers:

Malcolm Armstead - Sr - 6'1" PG who started a lot of games for Oregon and has the Oregon single-season steals record.

Ron Baker - Fr - Unheralded 6'3" SG who was the best shooter in practices last year. In practice, he was better at putting the ball in the hoop than Ragland, Kyles, Smith, or Murry. He's athletic and has decent handles, but he played for a small HS in western KS and didn't play AAU ball, so he's "unheralded". Probably one of the early subs at SG.

Joe Mitchell - 6'1" SG - JuCo AA. Not expected to see much court time.

Starters could be:

C - Hall/Orukpe
PF - White/Hall
SF - Early
SG - Williams
PG - Armstead - VanVleet may get some starts later in the season.

I don't know whether next year is a "rebuild" or "reload" year for WSU. Of the potential starters, 5 have 1 to 3 years of D1 experience. Probably 3 of the first 4 subs have no D1 experience.

I see a lot of potential for the Shox next year, but the Shox have to rely on a number of unproven players. If those players come through like Moore, Sawvell, Daniels, Tuttle, and many other MVC Fr last year, then the Shox are reloading and could challenge for top 3. I'm really expecting a 5 or 6 finish next year, but look out in 2013-14.

Last edited:
Back