2023-2024 Eligibility Chart

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

dino

The Varsity Level
Supporter
I can’t currently wrap my head around Crawford, Martin, and Avila being in the same class. Would be true as long as Crawford maintains redshirt. 🤯

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
McCauley is a once in a decade player with 5-6 years of experience. Not holding my breath on a replacement. I'd be satisfied with 4-5 guys averaging in double figures.
I think Avila is going to be our "centerpiece." He touched the ball about 8 times the other night and had 6 pts and 2 assists. The MO POY surely has a place and, from what I've seen, we signed 3 players with a lot of potential. I'm expecting Crawford and Kent to be solid.
I'm ok with what we have.

One problem could be a FR backup center, but I doubt that we will correct that.

So you asked Jason if he's seen Holmes practice... We've seen Crawford play (so I don't need to see him practice) what have you seen from Crawford to expect anything? I'm not saying he might not develop into a nice player - but what I've seen thus far gives me very little expectation that he will be solid. Kent on the other hand is very solid - but he's not going to be "the man" I don't think??

So who becomes the man?? Because you've still typically got to have a guy or two that can go get you a bucket when you need one - teams in recent memory that haven't had that guy or that we've asked that guy to do too much haven't been good teams. Avlia is that guy for you? Maybe... Two years from now I can defiantly see that being a possibility I like what I've seen from him thus far.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Have you seen Holmes play in practice?

Don't need to. He's a walk-on that had no other D1 offers. Could he and the staff develop him into something? Definitely. However, the odds of that are not favorable. Rooting for it but have very low expectations. All my "GM" thoughts are rooted in logic and reason.

Looking at the wing bucket, just look at the odds he has to overcome there alone to get on the floor. That also makes it easy to see why the staff probably can't afford to give him a scholarship unless we have attrition.

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
Supporter
Yes, I agree with all of that. I watched him again and he does not seem to be very athletic. But I don't consider Bledson, Cooper, Hobbs, or Gibson to be athletic.
Like you said, it may just be a matter of what we have and need. I'm curious as to why they would redshirt him.
The bottom line is do we need a non-athletic wing that can handle, pass, shoot and rebound.

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
Supporter
After the last 2 games, I NOW think we should do some spring cleaning. The SO and JR are in their 3rd and 4th years of experience. If they can't get into the rotation, they need to be replaced. IF we can recruit over them.
Does anybody else think having so many D2 players puts us at a disadvantage in size and quickness?

dino

The Varsity Level
Supporter
After the last 2 games, I NOW think we should do some spring cleaning. The SO and JR are in their 3rd and 4th years of experience. If they can't get into the rotation, they need to be replaced. IF we can recruit over them.
Does anybody else think having so many D2 players puts us at a disadvantage in size and quickness
I’m sure there are plenty of d2 players who would be d1 if they were taller, longer, faster, etc. So I think you are on to something.

but in all honesty, is this not a knee jerk reaction to one loss? Gut the underclass men because the (mostly) upper class men lost a game? I don’t think I’d entertain idea at all without a ton more context.

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
Supporter
I've always been a BIG proponent of experience and slow to give up on players. But they all have an extra year of experience now and I'm wondering if a SO or JR can't go out and give you 10 or 12 pts even occasionally, maybe he's not going to develop.