DEFENSIVE "STATEGY"

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

sycamorebacker

The Nicks Level
Supporter
If the college offensive strategy is to penetrate and kick it out for the open 3, then why do defenses shift/collapse and leave the 3-pt shooters open?

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
If the college offensive strategy is to penetrate and kick it out for the open 3, then why do defenses shift/collapse and leave the 3-pt shooters open?
Sort of like in baseball your pitching strategy is to get ground balls. But as a hitter you are taught to put the ball on the ground. Doesn’t make sense

I believe Jason has been referencing this most of the season with respect to doubling down inside leaving the outside shooter open.

Sort of like in baseball your pitching strategy is to get ground balls. But as a hitter you are taught to put the ball on the ground. Doesn’t make sense
Funny you should say that. I have a softball coaching background so I was thinking it's like a pitcher throwing outside to a batter with a closed stance.
Also, in basketball, I ain't no coach but I always taught my grade school kids that 2 quick passes could generate an open shot. Now, it's just one pass and go one-on-one.

The NBA is a bit ahead of college with this strategy. Defenders in the NBA will absolutely not help off of a corner three point shooter and will give up a layup at the rim. I’m guessing as the college game gets more and more reliant on the three, you’ll see the same.

The NBA is a bit ahead of college with this strategy. Defenders in the NBA will absolutely not help off of a corner three point shooter and will give up a layup at the rim. I’m guessing as the college game gets more and more reliant on the three, you’ll see the same.

This is exactly it. The college game is hanging on to legacy coaching paradigms.

It has driven me absolutely nuts the last couple years, especially since more and more 3FGs get shot on a yearly basis.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Of course there is the threat of the drive if the defense spreads too much and the players are skilled enough to be effective at the rim.

We need to get players that can take it to the rim and finish. Some of our best players in the past drove more in the later years. Young players have trouble recognizing opportunities and reading the defense.

It will be interesting to see where the shift occurs: NBA / College when it comes to guys who are driving JUST to look for a kick out. Odum was a great finisher, but from time to time would drive the lane, jump, and then try to kick (often because teams collapsed on him with reckless abandon). Key was a finisher / get to the line guy and absorbed a ton of contact, which led to a ton of FT.

As soon as a few teams take the old school and-one with the help defenders not leaving the arc, the story will shift. Super athletic guard / wind in the mid-post for a few sets per half can create all kinds of foul troubles.

This said, it would be interesting to her coaches talk about whether a, "bad," three attempt is better than a good two?

It’s just about percentages. I’d rather take my chances with letting our bigs guard another big with no help than give up an open three because we doubled. If a player is shooting 40% overall from three, then that player probably hits 50%+ when wide open.

Back