Gonzaga to the Big 12?

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
This also will tie into the Valley a bit. Because of Gonzaga's reign, they lifted the profile of the WCC and they usually finished above the MVC due to the Zag's success. If they leave, I don't see how they don't cascade down a bit. That could potentially lead to consideration for bids as WCC usually got an at-large most years.

St Mary’s will dominate that league without Gonzaga but you are right it will be a one bid league going forward.

I bet the WCC would backfill with Seattle and Grand Canyon to get back up to 10 schools if this ends up happening. Those are two decent programs in two major markets. Those schools aren't BYU and Gonzaga, but the WCC would still be a good mid major conference.

I think this will gain a lot more traction this time around. It’s just matter of does Gonzaga want to stay at the top of the WCC every year or does the money talk and worth the move now and not be guaranteed a bid.

I think this will gain a lot more traction this time around. It’s just matter of does Gonzaga want to stay at the top of the WCC every year or does the money talk and worth the move now and not be guaranteed a bid.

I think Gonzaga grows into an even bigger power with the move.

They'll now get $15m and they're already spending more than most P5 schools on hoops -- they were in the Top 25 last time without any real media deal revenue. So they can literally spend just a third of that $15m and be in the Top 5 spending, will no longer have to play most of their top flight opponents neutral/road, and can literally have alumni divert money into NLI stuff to get their players.

As long as coaching stays good, they could get launched into the stratosphere with the move. I think it will be Kansas/Gonzaga vying for the league title on a yearly basis.

To me this move makes more sense for Gonzaga than it does for the Big 12, especially after the additions of the "4 corner schools". Gonzaga's value will always be limited due to them not having football. The Big 12 isn't short on good basketball teams either.

I think Gonzaga grows into an even bigger power with the move.

They'll now get $15m and they're already spending more than most P5 schools on hoops -- they were in the Top 25 last time without any real media deal revenue. So they can literally spend just a third of that $15m and be in the Top 5 spending, will no longer have to play most of their top flight opponents neutral/road, and can literally have alumni divert money into NLI stuff to get their players.

As long as coaching stays good, they could get launched into the stratosphere with the move. I think it will be Kansas/Gonzaga vying for the league title on a yearly basis.

What are the odds the WCC tells Gonzaga to take all of their sports to the Big 12, not just MBB?

What are the odds the WCC tells Gonzaga to take all of their sports to the Big 12, not just MBB?

Probably nil since non-revenue sports simply don't matter in the grand scheme and it is hard to find regional opponents to keep travel low for them.

My guess is they'd agree to non-con Saint Mary's or someone else every year if they had to trade something to keep it civil if someone did get a wild hair.

Probably nil since non-revenue sports simply don't matter in the grand scheme and it is hard to find regional opponents to keep travel low for them.

My guess is they'd agree to non-con Saint Mary's or someone else every year if they had to trade something to keep it civil if someone did get a wild hair.

Agree -- still be interesting if there is some hard-noses in the WCC wrt a possible Zags departure. Seattle U. - former WCC member really wanted to rejoin when they re-elevated their Athl Dept to Div I... they'd be a great fit too...

There are some very interesting issues for non-revenue sports moving forward; sadly, I can see a fair amount of programs struggling to hang on.
The Western/West Coast schools have long had their Olympic sports aligned outside of their primary conference; probably more so than Midwestern schools...

Agree -- still be interesting if there is some hard-noses in the WCC wrt a possible Zags departure. Seattle U. - former WCC member really wanted to rejoin when they re-elevated their Athl Dept to Div I... they'd be a great fit too...

There are some very interesting issues for non-revenue sports moving forward; sadly, I can see a fair amount of programs struggling to hang on.
The Western/West Coast schools have long had their Olympic sports aligned outside of their primary conference; probably more so than Midwestern schools...

Yeah, I think the NCAA will relax requirements in the future just like they did for FBS ticket sales this year.

Money will consolidate up if schools have to start provide revenue sharing and that means non-revenue sports will either have to start generating revenue or will be pared back. Or schools will go into even more debt, steal more money from students, etc.

Yeah, I think the NCAA will relax requirements in the future just like they did for FBS ticket sales this year.

Money will consolidate up if schools have to start provide revenue sharing and that means non-revenue sports will either have to start generating revenue or will be pared back. Or schools will go into even more debt, steal more money from students, etc.

I'm still waiting for certain elected officials start "getting involved..." the more money is consolidated with a few "power" schools (i.e. Public Universities...) I think the more inclined some officials will start to get involved...

call in the lawyers but 'interstate commerce'... anti-trust... monopolies... IIRC, money consolidation was all the rage ~2010 when TCU and Boise State were trying to "break in" to the BCA/BCS/BS football "playoff..."

Back