Hulman Center ch-ch-changes...

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
There are many new and exciting things happening this year. We will be installing the new scoreboard in the Hulman Center. It will be a state of the art scoreboard that will be center hung over the competition basketball floor. It will have a video board system that will allow us to advertise, do instant replays, promote Athletics Department and University events and many other uses. We will also be reconfiguring some seating by installing courtside seats to bring fans even closer to the action. These additions will create a more intimate and collegiate experience kind of an atmosphere in the Hulman Center for Men?s and Women?s Basketball games. I am grateful to Charlie Potts and the Hulman Center staff for their work to bring some of these changes to the building. We are already seeing improved ticket sales for Men?s and Women?s Basketball this season.
This is pretty exciting news. For anyone that has ever been to a game, the fans could never get into it since any seat in the house felt like a nose bleed. And the old scoreboards... that goes without saying.

Exciting.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I never had a huge problem with the seating arrangement although closer seating is always good. The center hung scoreboard is a great addition and honestly shouldhave been done 10 years ago. New coach, new website, a promising roster, big changes around the HC and SycamoreHoops.com......it's a new era of ISU hoops!

I never had a huge problem with the seating arrangement although closer seating is always good. The center hung scoreboard is a great addition and honestly shouldhave been done 10 years ago. New coach, new website, a promising roster, big changes around the HC and SycamoreHoops.com......it's a new era of ISU hoops!
Well, as a student, if you didn't sit in the tiny student section down low, you were up in the balcony area. They need to get it where the students are on top of the action and actually give the Sycamores a home court advantage.

Is the new student seating going to be on the sidelines or behind a basket?
That's a good question. I'd hope some of the new courtside seats would be designated for a student section. The student section has always been behind the basket next to the band.

As a former student (at a different University) I've sat in a student section that started on the sidelines (Cincinnati Gardens), and then was moved to behind the basket (Cintas). The sidelines were ok... but they were true sideline seats. You sat right to right of the bench with all of the players and right behind it. As a result there were not a ton of seats. Overflow was sent to the nosebleeds.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
As a former student (at a different University) I've sat in a student section that started on the sidelines (Cincinnati Gardens), and then was moved to behind the basket (Cintas). The sidelines were ok... but they were true sideline seats. You sat right to right of the bench with all of the players and right behind it. As a result there were not a ton of seats. Overflow was sent to the nosebleeds.
That is how it was at Indiana State for the behind the basket student section. There was literally one tiny section behind the basket as half of it was for the band and Sparkettes (dancers) and the rest went into the nosebleeds above it.

Considering how low attendance was, I see absolutely no reason they couldn't find a configuration to get any student in attendance down on top of the action.

Back