ISU at Southern Illinois

ISUCC

The Odum Level
sadly this game has history written all over it, as in this could be the worst blowout in Gateway history. Right now it's at 62 points which was set last season. This could be really ugly. And it's on TV to boot.

I expect ISU won't score and SIU could put up anywhere from 80-100 points or more.

the SIU paper talks about Miles' plight at ISU

http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/2008/10/08/sports/26208009.txt

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
Same propaganda and same words. But you really have to hand it to him for not budging an inch on his talk of the future. Its almost like this season is a technicality. Maybe he didn't have any expectations coming in...very possible you know? I wish this was like the videogames where we could press a button and sim through to next season.

treefromafar

The Sycamore Level
Same propaganda and same words. But you really have to hand it to him for not budging an inch on his talk of the future. Its almost like this season is a technicality. Maybe he didn't have any expectations coming in...very possible you know? I wish this was like the videogames where we could press a button and sim through to next season.
Propoganda? Are you saying Miles is not sincere in what he's saying? I realize you had first hand experience of the way it was, an may or may not be a bit dis-gruntled because you were asked to leave (or left on your own). The fact remains the same. A true leader has the courage to do things that are not accepted by all, but continues to do them anyway. I truly feel that Coach Miles will be the one to turn this program around. However, he may not be the one that ultimately is around to reap the rewards. I think true rewards will take 5 years, and he won't be here in 5 years. I am more sure of that now, than I was when he was hired. Society is too much instant gratification. What I feel will happen is a Ron Zook - Urban Meyer scenario. Zook took over Florida at a time where Spurrier had reached a recruiting stand still for the previous 3 years, and recruited some great talent, only to be jettisoned before he could see any rewards. In comes Meyer, and bam, he wins a National Title in year 2 with Zook's players. Now, I realize Florida was in much better shape when Zook took over than ISU has ever been, but you can understand the analogy of instant gratification. I truly hope I'm wrong, and Miles is here long enough to see the rewards.

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
Propoganda? Are you saying Miles is not sincere in what he's saying? I realize you had first hand experience of the way it was, an may or may not be a bit dis-gruntled because you were asked to leave (or left on your own). The fact remains the same. A true leader has the courage to do things that are not accepted by all, but continues to do them anyway. I truly feel that Coach Miles will be the one to turn this program around. However, he may not be the one that ultimately is around to reap the rewards. I think true rewards will take 5 years, and he won't be here in 5 years. I am more sure of that now, than I was when he was hired. Society is too much instant gratification. What I feel will happen is a Ron Zook - Urban Meyer scenario. Zook took over Florida at a time where Spurrier had reached a recruiting stand still for the previous 3 years, and recruited some great talent, only to be jettisoned before he could see any rewards. In comes Meyer, and bam, he wins a National Title in year 2 with Zook's players. Now, I realize Florida was in much better shape when Zook took over than ISU has ever been, but you can understand the analogy of instant gratification. I truly hope I'm wrong, and Miles is here long enough to see the rewards.
What else can you do but call positive talk right now propaganda? As of right now very little has been done to back it up. Yes, plans and a foundation have been laid, but they are still a good year away from even beginning to come to fruition.

I meant to respond to your remark in another thread about my situation and how I left. Miles is good at one thing, reading people. He saw right away that I was disillusioned with the entire program/school/everything. He had me in to his office to talk and I told him I didn't like football anymore due to the previous seasons experiences. He told me that he couldn't accept that as part of what he was trying to do and gave me 3 days to think about it. I took my 3 days, thought about it, and decided to leave. I think I've written a few times here how awesome he was when I left (I was the first one to go) and how supportive and understanding he was. I wasn't angry at all, I had plenty of reasons to leave, all more important than 2 more years of college football at a school I had mastered (4.0 G.P.A in the ISU honors program).

I got disgruntled with what I heard happened after I left. How some of the hard working guys I played with were being treated. A few instances in particular stick out in my head as being absolutely incredible in heartlessness. As I've said before though, those guys are still on the team so I'm assuming he realized where he went wrong. I don't claim to know anything about his coaching style past January of this year.

So I guess you could go so far as to call it a mutual disagreement. He didn't want a player that had no love for the university and I didn't want to waste my time there anymore. Form an opinion of each of us from that as you will.

bent20

The Odum Level
Interesting how these other papers paint such an optimstic view of the Sycamore's future. I don't see us beating SIU and I'd be surprised if a new stadium is up within 5 years. Sure hope that is the case though. I hope this team improves and we get a new stadium on campus.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
What else can you do but call positive talk right now propaganda?
What should he be saying? "Yeah, we suck. We're gonna suck for a while. That giant sucking sound you hear is our football program." :krazy:

If he weren't concentrating on the future, I'd be really worried. All of the problems he inherited are going to take time to fix. The players he inherited are probably the biggest problem, and are going to be the hardest to work magic on. Only when he's got 75% of the team that are his players, can we expect a great deal of progress. I keep hearing, "...talent was never our problem, we've got a lot of very talented guys (from West's tenure)..." That's a load of BS. It's gonna take time to fix that very large, gaping hole.

REAL ISU fans need to give this time. I hate getting our heads blown off every week as much as anyone, but the football future seems brighter than it has since the early 80's.

treefromafar

The Sycamore Level
What else can you do but call positive talk right now propaganda? As of right now very little has been done to back it up. Yes, plans and a foundation have been laid, but they are still a good year away from even beginning to come to fruition.

I meant to respond to your remark in another thread about my situation and how I left. Miles is good at one thing, reading people. He saw right away that I was disillusioned with the entire program/school/everything. He had me in to his office to talk and I told him I didn't like football anymore due to the previous seasons experiences. He told me that he couldn't accept that as part of what he was trying to do and gave me 3 days to think about it. I took my 3 days, thought about it, and decided to leave. I think I've written a few times here how awesome he was when I left (I was the first one to go) and how supportive and understanding he was. I wasn't angry at all, I had plenty of reasons to leave, all more important than 2 more years of college football at a school I had mastered (4.0 G.P.A in the ISU honors program).

I got disgruntled with what I heard happened after I left. How some of the hard working guys I played with were being treated. A few instances in particular stick out in my head as being absolutely incredible in heartlessness. As I've said before though, those guys are still on the team so I'm assuming he realized where he went wrong. I don't claim to know anything about his coaching style past January of this year.

So I guess you could go so far as to call it a mutual disagreement. He didn't want a player that had no love for the university and I didn't want to waste my time there anymore. Form an opinion of each of us from that as you will.
As I said, I did not know the circumstances surrounding your departure. I commend your honesty. The only problem I see, is just what you said above, you got disgruntled from something you heard. Neither one of us knows the whole story behind the scenes. I just say what I feel, as I'm sure you do. I stand by what I said a long time ago. Lou West littered this roster with players who had no business playing scholarship football at this level, and it shows on Saturdays. Miles has and will get better talent in here, but I don't think he will be around to truly benefit from it.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
interesting that ISU plays in 3 straight homecoming games the next 3 weeks, the last one is ISU's homecoming, which they will have no chance at winning either.

I bet everyone want's to schedule ISU for their homecoming at this point.