[January 22, 2020] Indiana State (10-7) at Loyola (13-6)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Some on here just want to keep sugar coating Lansing's record and our play after losses. I personally don't believe in it. I'm tired of mediocrity! This community deserves BETTER! The desire for a winner was evident at the '79 reunion game. Hulman Center should be packed like that every game. This basketball program is stuck in neutral.

there weren't 200 desiring people willing to give $1,000 per remaining year on his contract.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I'm a big Lansing supporter, but this game was on him. Both offensively and defensively. We had zero answers for executing anything on either end of the court. Although, that 1-2-2 zone in the second half was, ahem, ummm...interesting.

Some on here just want to keep sugar coating Lansing's record and our play after losses. I personally don't believe in it. I'm tired of mediocrity! This community deserves BETTER! The desire for a winner was evident at the '79 reunion game. Hulman Center should be packed like that every game. This basketball program is stuck in neutral.

This community deserves better...

What actions have The Community taken to become better?

Part of it's on the admin (5 Univ PRES in past 40+ years), part on Athl Department, Coaches, Athletes and the fan base -- be it students, alumni and Wabash Valley residents

After a performance like last night -- hard to ask for donations or to receive donations but the Community has to do more than throw rocks from a blog or bar stool or barber chair

over what time span? Lansing era? MVC? Or program tenure

honestly im just curious if its harder to win during the week on the road. id take any stat really. I remember back in the day we rarely lost in the evening at home, it could have been that those were often non-conference games early in the season but it threw off the other team's schedules a little

They should have asked for $100 from 2,000 --- cast a wider net; you'll catch more fish, albeit smaller

Yeah, they didnt get that either.

Glad to see you read this board Mrs. Lansing. His teams have zero toughness season after season; just like him. His record the last 5 yrs is below .500. What have you done for me lately?

Had a response but I’ll edit it out so as not to drag wives into this.

Last edited:
Come on, guys, the sky is not falling. We, and every other team not named Duke (and even them, sometimes), lay a total egg once in a while. Yeah, we lay a lot of them, but this game was a serious outlier for this season. We haven't gotten blasted like that at all this season (I don't count Louisville). If we get curb stomped in the next two games at home, start worrying. Right now, we're still 10-8, and we're still looking at staying out of Thursday night in St. Louis.

We have, what? 11 games left? Let's wait until the season wraps up and then decide whether or not we suck. Because up until then, anything can, and usually will, happen...

What would this place have looked like in 1978 when our 13-0, fourth ranked Sycamores lost five in a row? Crap happens. Stick with the team until the season is over. Then argue about what happened.

What would this place have looked like in 1978 when our 13-0, fourth ranked Sycamores lost five in a row? Crap happens. Stick with the team until the season is over. Then argue about what happened.

empty because nobody had the internet :cheeky:

I'm going to walk in to Dryer and Reinbold BMW later today and tell them I'm tired of my mediocre car and I want a really good one but I don't want to pay the costs associated with having good things. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lansing has no ambition or he would have voluntarily left before now. $250-300 a year is a pretty sweet gig in Terre Haute Indiana. $500 up is for winners in richer communities. He is riding it out because he knows he will not get a better job or maybe not even an assistant job anywhere. I'm sure there are better coaches than him willing to take his place when he is gone. Its not like they are going to have to hire some YMCA or Boys Club coach although there are probably a few that could do a better job.

Greg Lansing is the winningest ISU basketball coach since Carter left the White House. He’s got a career winning record and this year’s team is above .500. If he’s fired are you sure you want Clink making the hire? Every one of his hires that don’t involve a swimming pool are well, well below .500. I hate to point that out as I’ve met these coaches and I know they’re working their butts off and have passion—but you are what your record says you are. And yes, Mallory has awards and has to play in a stadium that should have been demolished decades ago. And Hall is in rebuild mode. I get all that and I’m willing to be patient and see what they can do, but some of you need perspective. Not only is Lansing one of the winningest coaches in the history of ISU basketball, he’s currently one of the winningest coaches in the entire ISU athletics department. All the while dealing with the lowest MVC budget, lowest MVC salary pool, and aging facilities.

But, yes, last night was a poor performance.

Unfortunately this post says more about Indiana State athletics in the negative than it does for GL in the positive.

Lansing has no ambition or he would have voluntarily left before now. $250-300 a year is a pretty sweet gig in Terre Haute Indiana. $500 up is for winners in richer communities. He is riding it out because he knows he will not get a better job or maybe not even an assistant job anywhere. I'm sure there are better coaches than him willing to take his place when he is gone. Its not like they are going to have to hire some YMCA or Boys Club coach although there are probably a few that could do a better job.

When you post a screen shot of the contribution you made to the athletic department to buy him out (whatever amount it happens to be), then I will listen to(read) your rants.

I just got back from the BMW dealership. As it turns out, if you want nice things in high demand (lux cars and winning athletics programs, for instance), you either need to:

1. Be very lucky or get them by sheer happenstance;
2. Cheat/break the rules/break the law; or
3. Pay the amount necessary to have the luxury.

The sooner some of you on here realize that, and the sooner ISU admins and BOT members apply one of the above three principles, we can get there. I don't recommend #2 but many universities do it as we know.

Until then, be thankful Lansing has done as well as he has with the limitations he's saddled with.

People throw out this winningest coach thing like he's having an outstanding coaching career. He's six games above .500 and has had five losing seasons in a row. He's only the winningest due to the absurd degree of mediocrity our administration has allowed for decades and because the administration has spent its money elsewhere (hard to argue against improving infrastructure and facilities).

Glass half-full fans: Lansing has the second most wins of any Indiana State coach all-time!
Glass half-empty: He also is closing in quickly on Waltman for the most losses of any Indiana State coach all-time!

That is more of an indictment of the school though, no?

I believe there have been three eras of college basketball even though most like to classify them into two -- the pre and post "When March Went Mad" times. I tend to believe you have the beginning to 1978 then the "When March Went Mad" era of 1978-1991 and then "Fab Five" era of 1992-on. I believe the early 90s is when globalism took flight and big money basically started the destruction of college football/basketball.

In the Fab Five era, Lansing and Royce have been our best coaches by a long shot and Lansing overlapped Royce's success. The reality of the matter is nobody wants to come play ball in Terre Haute when they have similar mid-major offers in big cities, at more prestigious schools, etc. The fact he is six games over .500 is impressive all things considered.

The school has never made a commitment to have a winning athletics program in any capacity.

Did you watch the same game I did? If so you are easily impressed - effort my #&* - a pathetic showing.

I watch every minute of every game, and then I go back and watch them again a second time. Effort was not the issue. Those boys played hard last night when nothing was going right.

You can talk all the shit you want about whatever you wish, but you're letting your hatred towards a man you've never even been within 10 feet of cloud your judgement.

I watch every minute of every game, and then I go back and watch them again a second time. Effort was not the issue. Those boys played hard last night when nothing was going right.

You can talk all the shit you want about whatever you wish, but you're letting your hatred towards a man you've never even been within 10 feet of cloud your judgement.

Effort =/= Execution

To quote a great movie...

"But he worked really hard, grandpa..."
"So do washing machines."

:lol:

Seriously, no one out there is trying to lose, but something is getting lost in translation. The execution must improve.

Back