My thoughts on the 2007-2008 season

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

S

Sycamore1

Once again in 2006-2007 we started off fairly well in the non-conference schedule but faltered greatly in the Valley portion. After the spanking we gave Purdue I thought that the team could have finished in the top half on the league. Anyway, let's hope Coach McKenna can turn it around.

I would like to see the starting lineup as follows.....

F- Jay Tunnell, Jr.
F- Adam Arnold, Jr.
G- Marico Stinson, So.
G- Gabe Moore, Sr.
G- Cole Holmstrom, So.

That doesn?t give us much size up front but we could easily start Mick Yelovich if we are playing a much bigger team. Stinson and Moore have to be on the floor the majority of the time because they are instant offense. Tunnell showed signs of being a good post player last year but also had spells of where he did nothing. Arnold rebounds very well for someone under 6-7 and really works hard around the basket. Off the bench, Harry Marshall has given us a pretty decent spark and provided solid minutes. Anybody know if he earned himself a scholarship? Todd McCoy was a solid contributor in his first year of division 1 ball but I think his lack of height hurt his production a lot. At 6-4 he should be more of a wing player but he seemed more comfortable in the post. Don't know what to expect out of Brant Leitnaker this season. At 6-10 his size would be valued but he looked rail thin sitting on the bench last year and I'm wondering if he can bang with the beef in the Missouri Valley. I can see Isaiah Martin making an immediate impact off the bench this season. He is long and has a strong basketball IQ. Martin was also ranked as one of the top 20 prospects coming out of high school in the state of Illinois. Aaron Carter is going to be a solid contributor, just not right now. Give this kid around 2 or three years and he could be pretty good. Jordan Printy comes from a good program in Iowa and will see the floor to give Holmstrom some breaks but doesn?t expect to see him play over Marshall. My dark horse in this entire group is Lamar Lee. I saw Lee play a couple of times while at Lafayette McCutcheon and he is an athlete to the fullest. Once Gabe Moore leaves I full expect Lee to step in and not have that big, if any, fall off. I'm not sure where McKenna wants him to play but I would allow him to green light most of the time because this kid is also a great shooter.

I cannot overstate the loss of Clayton Vette; he was the Iowa Mr. Basketball who was released from his letter of intent to attend Indiana State after Waltman was fired. Vette ended up heading for the Big 12 and Iowa State. This kid was going to give us a major scoring presence on the inside probably starting next season. It would not surprise me to see him flourish at Iowa State in the future.

I see this years Indiana State team being improved from last season and finishing in the top half of the league but still missing all postseason tournaments. I was a little disappointed to see the Sycamores don't have a marquee home game this season after hosting Indiana, Butler, and Purdue in the past two years.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I was a little disappointed to see the Sycamores don't have a marquee home game this season after hosting Indiana, Butler, and Purdue in the past two years.

The Purdue series is for 1 home game and two games at Mackey. As far as Butler it's our turn to play there and IU won't play us at the Hulman Center anymore since we have owned them here.

Welcome to SycamoreHoops.com and very solid first post!

On the subject of Clayton Vette. Yes, it was a pretty large blow losing him, but the Sycamores would have committed recruiting suicide had they declined his transfer request so they really had no choice. That said, pairing him with Martin would have given State one helluva bright future in the post. I have total faith in Coach McKenna hitting the recruiting trail and bringing the program back from obscurity.

I hate to put the pressure on him but I see Adam Arnold accumulating a double-double (rebounds/points) game after game after game after................. He does a great job on the boards, particularly on the offensive end, and with his putbacks or assists to one of our 3-shooters in a more open offensive style, he is going to thrive this season.

I just don't think Stinson can start. My guess would be either McCoy or Carter would start over Stison. Marico's instant offense off the bench is a spark to our team. I think a more physical player should start.

Back