new football coach

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

B

Blazer

new football :sycamores:coach should be announced tomorrow

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
A crediable source or else I would not have posted it. Should not mention their name, however. No idea who it will be. I excited to get the program going!

The announcement about the press conference is on the Trib-Star website. Let the speculation begin...

:meditate:

Edit: The press conference is set for 4:30 p.m. and will be available live on gosycamores.com...

As long as it's not one of the area high school football coaches it should be a step in the right direction. Of course when you're ISU's football team just about any step you take has to be positive. What's the alternative?

I have gathered info from and unamed source, that Trent Miles will be introduced as the new Head Football Coach of the Sycamores later this afternoon.

Sounds like a decent choice if its true. He has some impressive experience, but has he ever been a coordinator?

• Trent Miles (University of Washington) — Miles, 44, is in his third season of coaching the Huskies’ running backs.

A graduate of Terre Haute South High School (1982) and Indiana State (1987), he played four seasons at wide receiver for Raetz.

Since then, Miles has been an assistant at ISU (1987), New Mexico (1988-89), Oklahoma (1990), Northern Illinois (1991-94), Hawaii (1995-96), Fresno State (1997-99), the NFL’s Green Bay Packers (2000), Stanford (2001), Notre Dame (2002-04) and Washington (2005-07).

Hope we are not settling for a guy just because of local ties. He has had no prior Head Coaching experience at any level or any experience as an Associate Head Coach. We are ready to give him a rebuilding job like this, hope he knows what he is in for.

I doubt that RP will "settle" for anyone. I believe that Ron has a good eye for talent, and that if he feels Trent can do the job, then Trent can do the job. Besides, Trent knows it can be done, because he was a part of it!

Whoever it is deserves the support of all Tree fans. And I can only imagine what the new coach has been promised as far as scholarships, facilities, time to get the job done, etc. Those kinds of things had to be part of the sales job, or who would come here with simply the status quo???

Good luck Coach Whoeveryouare!!!

:bigsmile::sycamores::bigsmile:

Hopefully Trent Miles can be a good head coach. He definitely has an impressive resime with the schools he has coached at. Hopefully ISU will be willing to spend some money on facilities and in other areas to help turn this program around.

It is my understanding that Miles was not the first choice....that was actually Jeff Monken from Navy. Congrats and Welcome Home Trent!

Last edited:
Going in house so to speak, might bring a little more pride to the program. His connections to those other big programs should give him something to lean on when recruiting. Hopefully, he can bring in Willingham's approach and success and make an immediate impact. Maybe we can take the first step next season by losing with a respectable score.

The team is so bad right now it's hard to evaluate the recruiting classes West brought in and what potential they might have.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Trent accept this monumental challenge. You could tell in his voice that this is where he wants to be, and that he will make us winners again. One of my favorite quotes (at least as close as I can remember it): "I got sick and tired of watching the ticker on ESPN rolling by and always seeing ISU losing. That stops today."

One person asked if he was ready for the adjustment of becoming a head coach. He simply replied, "I've been preparing for this every day of my life."

Asked about his offensive philosophy, he stated, "Score more points than the other team."

I don't know if he can coach, but he sure said all the right things.

I would have liked to have seen ISU pick a coach who has some experience turning around a horrible program, but Miles is worth a shot.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Trent accept this monumental challenge. You could tell in his voice that this is where he wants to be, and that he will make us winners again. One of my favorite quotes (at least as close as I can remember it): "I got sick and tired of watching the ticker on ESPN rolling by and always seeing ISU losing. That stops today."

One person asked if he was ready for the adjustment of becoming a head coach. He simply replied, "I've been preparing for this every day of my life."

Asked about his offensive philosophy, he stated, "Score more points than the other team."

I don't know if he can coach, but he sure said all the right things.

He said the right things and in the right way. I was there, and you could feel the passion and the sincerity. He talked well about developing young men academically, socially, and athletically. The answers to the media questions were without hesitation, direct, and not a spin. He was speaking from his heart. He obviously comes from good stock.

One quote that made an immediate impression: "I'm going to pick up in the community where my dad left off."

A very strong first 10 minutes. He accepted the responsibility for everything, said he would do things the right way, and then specified what he meant by that.

not sure what to think, but we'll see.

In one of the photos he kind of resembles "mini me"

Good hire... considering Ty Willingham is getting the axe at Washington anytime now... likely tomorrow.

Miles is going to need more than the three years Willingham has been given at Notre Dame and Washington (or Lou West at ISU for that matter), but he has to show improvement over time.

Back