Sycamores Take Finale with Missouri State; Win First Road Series Over MSU since 2007

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

GoSycamores

The Newsom Level
image_handler.aspx

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Indiana State baseball clinched its first series win against Missouri State on the road since 2007 with a 5-2 win over the Bears Sunday afternoon at Hammons Field.

More...

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I watched Sunday's game. A few things stood out:

1. Impressed w/ Javin Drake's control thru 7 innings. After adjusting to wet mound/field conditions (subpar to say the least), HE SETTLED into throwing a helluva game. In the late innings, it was obvious that fatigue was setting in as he was "hanging his pitches." Mo St's powerful 1B (Whetstone) is NOT one to give a "slurve" letter high to, as we soon discovered. In a nutshell, we were lucky to get out of the 9th inning w/ a win. Coaching staff has to be more pro-active re: use of relievers when the symptoms which I described 1st appear. Besides...there's NO GAMES for 4 dayz, so it's not like you'll exhaust your pitching staff arms!

2. Hannah's showed signs of confidence in using the bunt as both a decoy and weapon a couple times in the game. For a squad w/ a team BA of under .280, this is essential to moving runners. But again Sunday, in the 7th or 8th inning & up 4-0, we had runners on the corners w/ only 1 out, and grounded into a DP. We could've used that "insurance run"...

Drake's performance Sunday solidifies the Sycamore's RH pitching options. Given his excellent control, I wouldn't hesitate to use as either a starter or long reliever.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Back