Vicki Hall out as Coach

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

I don’t usually follow girls HS basketball. I know that boys basketball in Indiana is highly regarded throughout the country. What about the girls? Is Indiana also noted for its girls teams?

I also noticed that our current women’s roster has only one player from the state of Indiana. The rest are from out of state, or out of country!
Could there be a correlation? What did the rosters look like when the women were posting 20 win seasons?

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I don’t usually follow girls HS basketball. I know that boys basketball in Indiana is highly regarded throughout the country. What about the girls? Is Indiana also noted for its girls teams?

I also noticed that our current women’s roster has only one player from the state of Indiana. The rest are from out of state, or out of country!
Could there be a correlation? What did the rosters look like when the women were posting 20 win seasons?

Mostly midwestern girls. Mel B from the dominant THS teams was the big get and why the ladies were so good. There was a period back in the early 2000s when THS had girls teams that could compete national. They had her, Russell that went to Penn State, Clary who was really solid.

Any coach that can recruit and develop talent should be able to build a competitive, winning team recruiting in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio alone. I think Ohio is one of the states that produces the most WNBA talent.

And what about the costs? Aren’t out-of-state scholarships more costly than in-state?
Wasn’t Dennis Raetz prohibited from recruiting out-of-state football players at one point?

And what about the costs? Aren’t out-of-state scholarships more costly than in-state?
Wasn’t Dennis Raetz prohibited from recruiting out-of-state football players at one point?

Yes. However, State has several scholarship programs for Midwest states. I believe there is a Midwest Consortium and individual state scholarships that cut the rate. So when the 15 scholarships are billed back to the school, there is a negligible difference. See the non-resident reduced rate at the link below.

Thanks.
That cuts it to 5 players on the roster that wouldn’t qualify for the reduced rates.

If I was a crossdresser I probably could've averaged 30-40 points a game in high school on the girl's team with that itty bitty ball they play with; and maybe picked up a scholly at ISU.

WBB has to be hard to recruit for. Not a lot of super athletic girls out there and a lot of the better ones are kind of butch and more aggressive than average. Usually the same 6 teams are in the running for the Final 4 every single year. If the worst D1 men's team played Stanford (WBB Nat'l Champs) I'd put my money on whatever SWAC school was playing.

If I was a crossdresser I probably could've averaged 30-40 points a game in high school on the girl's team with that itty bitty ball they play with; and maybe picked up a scholly at ISU.

WBB has to be hard to recruit for. Not a lot of super athletic girls out there and a lot of the better ones are kind of butch and more aggressive than average. Usually the same 6 teams are in the running for the Final 4 every single year. If the worst D1 men's team played Stanford (WBB Nat'l Champs) I'd put my money on whatever SWAC school was playing.
One year Center Grove had 5 D1 players but only one stayed in the state at UE. They went to Cleveland St, Miami, Morehead St. and Northwestern.
I don't know if in-state schools recruited them.
We had that problem in softball. I had 2 teams that won a combined 3 state titles with 8 D1 players plus a future Miami, O. track athlete that's in their athletics hall of fame. I never saw the ISU coach at tournaments.

We had that problem in softball. I had 2 teams that won a combined 3 state titles with 8 D1 players plus a future Miami, O. track athlete that's in their athletics hall of fame. I never saw the ISU coach at tournaments.

So, as the coach, you didn't see the need to reach out to ISU and talk up your players?

No. That's not how it's done.

@Coach '72 you ever reach out to Indiana State about some of your Decatur Central kids?

I already know the answer since we've talked about this very thing but figured since you were a long time Indiana high school basketball coach, your first hand expertise would be helpful.

No. That's not how it's done.
Just wondering what you mean by this.

As a former coach at the middle and high school levels I would get a hold of some assistant coaches (track and field) at ISU and basically say "look out for this kid" whether they were on my team or a team I was competing against. Now I would never try to push or influence a kid to go a certain direction and if ISU isn't for them, it's not for them. But I don't see any harm emailing/messaging/talking about a potential recruit that's out there.

If I was coaching so to sr at a school I would do that if I talked to them first about it. In summer ball, the kids and parents are really into the college selection process. We entered large tournaments and handed out team booklets to coaches. The IU coach called me once and a Yale coach talked to me, but most of the communication was between the kids, parents and coaches.
Our main complaint was that the in-state coaches were out in CA recruiting. Of course, there were a lot of players out there.

As the Varsity coach, it is your responsibity to promote your kids and your program. I have always tried to lead my kids to ISU. I have made calls to the coaches on players whom I've seen and coached against that I feel could help the Blue. I will tell you the truth about my dealings with some my experiences on recruiting of Decatur Central and Indiana State. DC is one of the best 5A football programs in the state. They have had many football players go to Div.1 schools to play football. In those years, especially the last 10, I have never seen an ISU football coach in our hallways recruiting these kids. We had one kid that went to State and he was seen at their camp. It's also a mystery that Coach Mallory who played for Dave Enright at Bloomington South has not shown any interest in DC kids where Kyle Enright, Dave Enright's son coaches. Recruiting nowdays have changed. In basketball everything is done at summer tournaments where they can see many kids at one setting. I only coached one Div. 1 player and he went to IU. During his recruitment I only had one, just one, coach that asked me what kind of kid is he?" Guess who that one coach was? Answer- Royce Waltman, the only one among many. Recruiting is on a different level nowdays, Can't wait for the hoops to begin. Really enjoy reading all of you. Thanks and stay safe. Go Blue.

Just wondering what you mean by this.
In case it is not clear, I was a summer ASA/NSA JO 16U fastpitch coach. I was explaining how it is in summer softball. It's not like basketball where coaches are lined up in the gyms. I just thought coaches should have shown more interest in the best team in the state with multiple D1 players.

Back