What Happened to Key Softball Recruits?

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

SycamoreSage

The Captain Level
The ISU softball team open its 2008 season Feb. 22 in New Mexico, I believe. While checking the roster and schedule online, I noticed that the names of three key freshmen are missing:

Abby Calloway of Martinsville;
Ashlee Clendenden of Pendleton Heights; and
Alyssa Heller of Cedar Falls, Iowa, who is the daughter of the UNI baseball coach

What happened??

http://www.indstate.edu/athletic/softball/2007/Releases/Signings 11-10-06.htm

Last edited:

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
The Answer(s)

One did not qualify academically, another enrolled but developed some personal issues which -- at least for the time being -- prevents her from competing, and the third did not enroll but, much to her parents' distress, moved to Germany to be with her boy friend.

All had excellent athletic credentials. I can imagine that the coach is unhappy.

SS, I went to Pendleton Heights HS, which category does the PHHS recruit fall under??? I think PHHS had 3 girls sign with ISU this year.

One did not qualify academically, another enrolled but developed some personal issues which -- at least for the time being -- prevents her from competing, and the third did not enroll but, much to her parents' distress, moved to Germany to be with her boy friend.

All had excellent athletic credentials. I can imagine that the coach is unhappy.

I saw most of their fall exhibition contests, so I can take a stab at which ones are which using logic:
-Calloway and Heller were both here in the Fall - Calloway was wearing a boot on her foot; Heller played. Calloway is still on campus, so I would put her in the "personal issues" group above. Calloway also did not participate in softball most of her senior year at Martinsville - don't know if that was physical injury related or "personal issue" related. Heller was dating a former basketball player from UNI who is good enough to play professional basketball at some level, so I would guess she is the one that moved to Germany to follow boyfriend. She is not here this Spring.
-Clendennen was never here in the Fall. I would guess she never qualified academically based on NCAA standards, but that is a guess.

Last edited:
I also just noticed that Leslie Fakes is listed as a Fr. on this year's roster. She was supposed to be here as a Fr. last season and never enrolled - she should make an immediate impact offensively to the squad.

Back