FBS realignment talk is back in season...

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator

If the Big 12 would lose their two most storied programs in Texas an Oklahoma, it would likely cause a pretty drastic free for all from them and then the cascade of conferences needing to add teams. This also could be the opportune time for North Dakota State to finally make the jump so it could hit the MVFC.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.

If the Big 12 would lose their two most storied programs in Texas an Oklahoma, it would likely cause a pretty drastic free for all from them and then the cascade of conferences needing to add teams. This also could be the opportune time for North Dakota State to finally make the jump so it could hit the MVFC.

Betting there are a fair number of folks in the texas a/m community who will fight to keep OU and Tx out of the $EC

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ge-football-top-conference-formed-perfect-fit

This would likely be the beginning of the end for the Big 12. Texas and Oklahoma are huge programs, so I can't imagine the SEC turning them away, regardless of what TX A&M thinks about the whole thing.

That would leave the B12 with 8 teams (TXTC, TCU, OSU, KU, KSU, IASU, WVU, and Baylor). I could see the Big Ten trying to add Kansas and maybe another B12 school (WVU makes sense).

The growth to 16 team super conferences is the logical conclusion to the shifts that have been underway for years. There is a lot to be said for 8 team divisions in all sports simplifying travel and opening up scheduling opportunities. It may also open up conference upgrade opportunities for state schools which have access to 70,000 seat FB facilities, markets with lots of eyes on the screen, modern 10,000 seat basketball facilities and some level of tradition and name recognition. A conference like the Big 12 was already in need of teams and if the two mega-stars leave there will be an even greater need to find schools offering an optimal fit

I'll add that if Oklahoma and Texas do in fact leave, and the Big XII doesn't lose anyone else, I think Houston and Cincinnati would by far be their best two options available.

I'm actually kind of hoping that the Big XII does get raided by the Big Ten and the SEC, so that the Big XII steals most of the good programs from the American Athletic. I'd just hate to see Wichita get left behind (not).

This would likely be the beginning of the end for the Big 12. Texas and Oklahoma are huge programs, so I can't imagine the SEC turning them away, regardless of what TX A&M thinks about the whole thing.

That would leave the B12 with 8 teams (TXTC, TCU, OSU, KU, KSU, IASU, WVU, and Baylor). I could see the Big Ten trying to add Kansas and maybe another B12 school (WVU makes sense).

There ain't a no sno-balls chance in hell that the B1G ever invites West Virginia -- it's not remotely close to the current conference lineup from an academic perspective;
There are plenty that aren't fully sold on Nebraska joining - again, academics driven

As to tx - given the inherent greed of utexas, it'll be interesting if they give up the longhorn network $$ w/out demanding a 'bigger piece of the $EC pie' -- they demanded a U$C slide of the PAC-12 pie, which is why they're still in the B12

And a hearty eyeroll to DyedBlue's point on 16-tm "super conferences' (split into 8 divisions for "ease of scheduling, travel...") -- how about keeping conferences at their original size, footprint of 8-10 schools which ENSURE ease of scheduling, travel

Last edited:

There ain't a no balls chance in hell that the B1G ever invites West Virginia -- it's not remotely close to the current conference lineup from an academic perspective;
There are plenty that aren't fully sold on Nebraska joining - again, academics driven

As to tx - given the inherent greed of utexas, it'll be interesting if they give up the longhorn network $$ w/out demanding a 'bigger piece of the $EC pie' -- they demanded a U$C slide of the PAC-12 pie, which is why they're still in the B12

And a hearty eyeroll to DyedBlue's point on 16-tm "super conferences' (split into 8 divisions for "ease of scheduling, travel...") -- how about keeping conferences at their original size, footprint of 8-10 schools which ENSURE ease of scheduling, travel

There ain't a no balls chance in hell that the B1G ever invites West Virginia -- it's not remotely close to the current conference lineup from an academic perspective;

I am recognizing that conferences returning to 8 or 10 teams has far less momentum than ending up at 16. It is just an economic reality overwhelming any nostalgia or logic associated with eight or ten team leagues. I can focus on a Big 10/16 East and West, Pac12/16 North/South, an SEC 14/16 East West and also an ACC and Big 12/16 North/South. They will quickly work that into FBS playoff spots for each division plus some at large for them instead of conference championship games in a 16 team playoff .

I am recognizing that conferences returning to 8 or 10 teams has far less momentum than ending up at 16. It is just an economic reality overwhelming any nostalgia or logic associated with eight or ten team leagues. I can focus on a Big 10/16 East and West, Pac12/16 North/South, an SEC 14/16 East West and also an ACC and Big 12/16 North/South. They will quickly work that into FBS playoff spots for each division plus some at large for them instead of conference championship games in a 16 team playoff .

Oh, I completely understand the alleged "power 5" FBS conferences are looking LONG-TERM at building 4 16-team conferences... for the math majors, 4x16=64

Lo and behold, 64 is the "perfect" number for a MBB tourney WITHOUT any pesky mid-majors crashing the party

maybe NIL puts a wrinkle in those plans... maybe not.

the ncaa is swirling around the drain, college athletics in the next 5-10 years will be vastly different than pre-COVID

it'll be 'destroyed' and the 'destroyers' will claim its progress

Last edited:
You could see that one coming from a mile away.

The other 7 Big XII schools are just not that attractive to anyone I don't think. As 4Q pointed out WVU doesn't have great academics. There is obviously a reason they are not in the ACC or Big Ten and that is probably it. Iowa State, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State are all second class schools in their states. Baylor, Tech, and TCU are obviously no where near Texas or even A&M in popularity.

If they need three schools I wouldn't bet against them being Cincy, Houston, and Boise State. BYU might also be considered. That would still be a pretty good conference. Cincy just finished in the AP top 10 in football and Houston just made the Final 4.

You could see that one coming from a mile away.

The other 7 Big XII schools are just not that attractive to anyone I don't think. As 4Q pointed out WVU doesn't have great academics. There is obviously a reason they are not in the ACC or Big Ten and that is probably it. Iowa State, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State are all second class schools in their states. Baylor, Tech, and TCU are obviously no where near Texas or even A&M in popularity.

If they need three schools I wouldn't bet against them being Cincy, Houston, and Boise State. BYU might also be considered. That would still be a pretty good conference. Cincy just finished in the AP top 10 in football and Houston just made the Final 4.

Louisville's academics are not a that much better than W.Virginia's but enough to "satisfy the ACC"...

There are some B12 schools that could fit in the Big 10 as well or better than Nebraska but Iowa State brings a dozen or so pairs of TV eyes...

U.Cinn, U.Houston & U.Boise would help the B12 but would really stretch the travel budget(s)

The MVC needs to be pro active with this latest set of conference movements.

Has the MVC begun sponsoring FBS football (again)?

Any moves are FBS (football) driven... MVC will be as much a player as the Atl-10 or Summit League

SPN reported Thursday that both Texas and Oklahoma would likely owe the Big 12 upward of $76 million apiece to buy out the remainder of their grant of media rights agreement, which runs until 2025. A new agreement with the SEC, however, would likely make that price tag easily affordable for the two powerhouse programs.

SPN reported Thursday that both Texas and Oklahoma would likely owe the Big 12 upward of $76 million apiece to buy out the remainder of their grant of media rights agreement, which runs until 2025. A new agreement with the SEC, however, would likely make that price tag easily affordable for the two powerhouse programs.

$150 total is the figure being tossed around... be interesting to see if the B12 can hold their feet to the fire and squeeze every penny outta them and/or keep em in the conf until 2025

https://sports.yahoo.com/se-cs-cour...big-12-pac-12-big-ten-and-ncaa-190134687.html

I recently saw a story where the American Athletic might try to poach some teams from the Big 12. Yes you read that right. I think the AAC is delusional, but I guess you have to give them credit for trying.

The poaching order will likely be SEC / B10- B12- AAC- CUSA- SUN BELT / FCS. The Big 12 will likely keep their "power" status for now, but if more schools defect then I see them losing it and becoming the "new AAC". OKSU, KSU, IASU, TXTC, and Baylor will likely be the only schools left in that conference that have been BCS / Power schools for more than a decade.

I think the big 12 still has too good of a nucleus to be raided by the AAC. The AAC better be worried about Houston, Cincy and to a lesser extent SMU jumping ship. This shift does seem to have a different “feel” to it as it leaves some schools (mainly Baylor) in a somewhat vulnerable position. But I still think you’ll see b Big 12 grab from the AAC which will scrap from the c-USA which will pick from Sun-belt. And maybe just maybe the MVC/MVFC feels something with a NDSU move.

Back