[February 13, 2024] #23 Indiana State (22-3) vs Illinois State (11-13)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Hey..I've made bold suggestions on here before...I Suggested a couple weeks ago that I could see someone throwing a zone at us...and basically got lampooned by you guys for even suggesting it...and what are we seeing...zones being played.against us...

Even NBA teams have gone to sittong guys....it's not about icing guys...its a rest thing...I think we should sit Conwell for the road game at Valpo too...
The issue is that in the NBA it's an 82 game season and you can afford to drop a random game or two in order to get rest for your key players. Not the same situation when you need to win every game in order to have a shot at an at-large bid. On top of that, NBA rosters are far deeper than college rosters are.

With all due respect to Illinois State, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to win this game by 20+ points.

With all due respect to Illinois State, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to win this game by 20+ points.
Totally, they also had 3 bodies out at SIU on Saturday. If they can’t go again, we’re looking at some serious bench mins

I know they are down on their team, but they are capable just wildly inconsistent shooting the ball and turnover prone in the games I watched. They have like the worst eFG% and near the worst TO% on offense and when those are off, it's hard to win in this league.

Last game I watched of theirs was the UIC game and they couldn't hit shit. Game should be comfortable as long as we make them have to fight for good looks.

Illinois State just doesn't do anything well. They're kind of below-average(ish) in just about every statistical category. They play slow (makes sense with Pedon coming from the Big 10), so I expect them to try their best to slow the pace down considerably.

They're decent at getting to the free throw line, so we'll need to watch our fouls and switching to make sure we stay in front of their dribble-drives. They're also pretty good at grabbing offensive boards, but we've done a really good job with our defensive rebounding (thank you, Mr. Kent!) so I don't see this as a real area of concern.

Provided we come out with energy and focus, this should be a near 20-point win.

Just noticed that Illinois State is the least deadly team from 3 in the Valley. It had been Evansville for awhile but they've moved in front of the Redbirds.

scoringmatrix.png

This would be a great game to get back into a shooting rhythm before going back on the road to Southern. Would like us to see us try to establish more cutting like we did early in the season so effectively.
I am afraid the zones we are going to see from here on will reduce that part. Hope we’re working on zone offenses. We’ll figure something out.

Back