[February 13, 2024] #23 Indiana State (22-3) vs Illinois State (11-13)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

I am afraid the zones we are going to see from here on will reduce that part. Hope we’re working on zone offenses. We’ll figure something out.

The “zone” is less of a product of - this is the recipe to beat Indiana State and more of a product - we’ve tried everything else and we can’t guard them man to man.

Teams have sold out on the 3, teams and have sold out on doubling Avila, teams have sold out on no help, teams have decided to leave Kent only alone the reverse box in one.

They are zoning not because this is the way to beat Indiana State - but it’s the only thing that we haven’t completely crushed. If we shoot the ball well enough a team will come out of zone pretty quickly I feel like.

Either way - we need to be clear about this “zone defense” discussion it’s not so much of a strategy as an omission that we can’t guard you straight up. Ya all be mentioning a zone like it’s the most obvious way to defend one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country. Come on.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Teams are learning how to defend us. It doesn’t always work, but in conference, the teams know each other better. I think that has a lot to do with our diminished shooting numbers. I also have a lot of faith in HCJS to adjust and continue to add wrinkles that will get us open looks. Which we did yesterday, at a good clip. We'll find our range again, and when we do, look out!!!
It was not Missouri State's defense that was the problem. We just missed open shots. It happens.

Hey..I've made bold suggestions on here before...I Suggested a couple weeks ago that I could see someone throwing a zone at us...and basically got lampooned by you guys for even suggesting it...and what are we seeing...zones being played.against us...

Even NBA teams have gone to sittong guys....it's not about icing guys...its a rest thing...I think we should sit Conwell for the road game at Valpo too...
Maybe we should sit coach?

The “zone” is less of a product of - this is the recipe to beat Indiana State and more of a product - we’ve tried everything else and we can’t guard them man to man.

Teams have sold out on the 3, teams and have sold out on doubling Avila, teams have sold out on no help, teams have decided to leave Kent only alone the reverse box in one.

They are zoning not because this is the way to beat Indiana State - but it’s the only thing that we haven’t completely crushed. If we shoot the ball well enough a team will come out of zone pretty quickly I feel like.

Either way - we need to be clear about this “zone defense” discussion it’s not so much of a strategy as an omission that we can’t guard you straight up. Ya all be mentioning a zone like it’s the most obvious way to defend one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country. Come on.
No. I think the best way to defend us is to keep people under the basket, limit our back door chances and hope we miss 3s. Almost worked for Missouri State. Redbirds would be dumb to not try same thing.

It was not Missouri State's defense that was the problem. We just missed open shots. It happens.
I know this. My point is like in the Valpo game we didn’t shoot well from outside and we started attacking the basket and got 56 points in the paint.

No one in this conference can beat us if we get points that easily. And yes I know Valpo sucks. I do not fear zones and don’t think we play badly against zones, and I am confident we are working to enhance our zone offense for when we see them again.

No. I think the best way to defend us is to keep people under the basket, limit our back door chances and hope we miss 3s. Almost worked for Missouri State. Redbirds would be dumb to not try same thing.

You can accomplish this without playing zone… You just go under picks - don’t even need to switch 5. Sag the paint off Kent and Larry force them to beat you with the 3.

If you want to see the Sycamores in Hulman, better jump on tickets tomorrow....the UIC game is SOLD OUT and less than 5 remain available for Murray State
ISU social media should be pushing that message given we have 3 games left and just got ranked for the first time in 45 years. The final two games are sell-outs basically, come while you can to cheer on your ranked sycamores

Watching the Valpo game and Renn and other guy putting a 'Y' in Avila's name. It shouldn't bother me but drives me a little nuts and it's a short drive.

Damn - thought I was safe in getting tickets - had to go to Subhub and very few left, nothing in lower bowl

Do you want some weird coincidence stuff???? During the 1976-77 season the Sycamores finally were ranked in the top 25.....their opponent was
Illinois State on the road. They lost 64-70. At least this one is at home against a not strong Il. State team.
Let's go next step.....if the Sycamores defeat Il.State they will have another 10 game winning streak (second one this season). They will then go
to Carbondale for a difficult road game in a packed house....our last game against a Valley opponent after 10 wins in a row was the road loss at Drake.

Still can't believe we are ranked...amazing...what a helluva job this coaching staff and players have done....Thank You!!!.....from a life long Sycamore fan.

Do you want some weird coincidence stuff???? During the 1976-77 season the Sycamores finally were ranked in the top 25.....their opponent was
Illinois State on the road. They lost 64-70. At least this one is at home against a not strong Il. State team.
Let's go next step.....if the Sycamores defeat Il.State they will have another 10 game winning streak (second one this season). They will then go
to Carbondale for a difficult road game in a packed house....our last game against a Valley opponent after 10 wins in a row was the road loss at Drake.

The rankings you mention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976–77_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_rankings

Back