Fudōtokuna: $chertz to $LU

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I guess all the cards will be laid on the table within a week or two. A week to see if we keep coach and another week to see if anyone leaves. THEN we join Portal Wars 2024 with whoever may be in charge.

Also, that NIL money won’t stop coming in. Sure it may slow down over offseason, but if people hear that coaches/players are returning they are more likely to donate (or donate more) given they know who it’s supporting. You can’t tell me 3/4 of the fans there last night wouldn’t pay $25-50 a month to see that next season.

Also, that NIL money won’t stop coming in. Sure it may slow down over offseason, but if people hear that coaches/players are returning they are more likely to donate (or donate more) given they know who it’s supporting. You can’t tell me 3/4 of the fans there last night wouldn’t pay $25-50 a month to see that next season.
Even if coach and the players depart, if people would just continue to fund and support the program to this level, we'd have a lot more success going forward. It gives me hope. The last thing we need if they all leave is for many of the program's supporters to feel betrayed, cast blame, and zip the wallets and purses back up. Of course, it also requires good leadership for people to stay invested and keep their faith in the program.

It looks to me like Shertz has a lightning in a bottle right now. If I were slu I would be very worried and getting a backup plan. Then again, if Shertz leaves ISU for SLU at this point then "goodbye" and I can't imagine why slu would want a coach that would leave a program that is in as good of shape that isu is in now as long as the school is working hard to fork out the dollars and the NIL dollars are on the table. If he wants to leave after everything that has happened then he can go because he's not the type of person that terre haute or the basketball gods deserve.
Imagine him leaving and taking players now... He would be envisioned as a greedy and heartless person by the nation. Not the best position for a coach to be in... Hope his agent advised well. But maybe greed is the new coaching model that works...
Focusing on player retention and healthy schedule for next year should be a priority and it sounds like the schedule will be vastly improved with a top 20 team.

Even if coach and the players depart, if people would just continue to fund and support the program to this level, we'd have a lot more success going forward. It gives me hope. The last thing we need if they all leave is for many of the program's supporters to feel betrayed, cast blame, and zip the wallets and purses back up. Of course, it also requires good leadership for people to stay invested and keep their faith in the program.
Totally agree. ISU loves bball. No reason we should have to wait for seasons like this once a decade or two (or more). We can literally support this program into a positive direction regardless of the players/coaches.

You cannot replicate what’s happened in TH and ISU the past 2 months. Yes, you will turn a program around possibly and drive people to games, but the total buy-in and support from TH has been remarkable. If building a lasting culture is one of his true achievements/goals, look around you have it here.
Exactly. This is more than a NIT run. More than a conference championship. More than 30+ wins. It's not a good or great season; it's a special season. You won't be able to replicate it, it happened organically. It's impossible to describe, but everyone feels it, although we can't articulate what it is; but it's there. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no idea what's going to happen when the final horn sounds. But what I do know is that every single player on the roster and coach on staff will look back on this season with some of their best memories they've ever had with the game.

I’m hearing Muss is as good as gone to USC. I could see Arkansas trying to swoop into the Schertz running. It would be a much more historically relevant program than St Louis.
I met someone in the airport yesterday who stopped me because of my ISU Basketball sweatshirt. He supposedly is friends with Coach Schertz, and we struck up a conversation about the season and the Utah game (which was being played at the time). He made it sound like SLU is a done deal and they are just waiting for the season to be over to make it official. ISU really stepped-up money wise, but still fell well short of the 2.7M SLU is offering. Who knows if that is true, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Assuming that is true, and ISU can keep that level of money available that they pulled together for Schertz to stay, they should be able to find a really good replacement. Would Graves make the step up and replace Josh or does he leave as well?

Exactly. This is more than a NIT run. More than a conference championship. More than 30+ wins. It's not a good or great season; it's a special season. You won't be able to replicate it, it happened organically. It's impossible to describe, but everyone feels it, although we can't articulate what it is; but it's there. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no idea what's going to happen when the final horn sounds. But what I do know is that every single player on the roster and coach on staff will look back on this season with some of their best memories they've ever had with the game.
From Bennett's article in the TribStar:

"It's just nothing but fun out there..." - Ryan Conwell

I met someone in the airport yesterday who stopped me because of my ISU Basketball sweatshirt. He supposedly is friends with Coach Schertz, and we struck up a conversation about the season and the Utah game (which was being played at the time). He made it sound like SLU is a done deal and they are just waiting for the season to be over to make it official. ISU really stepped-up money wise, but still fell well short of the 2.7M SLU is offering. Who knows if that is true, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Assuming that is true, and ISU can keep that level of money available that they pulled together for Schertz to stay, they should be able to find a really good replacement. Would Graves make the step up and replace Josh or does he leave as well?
That guy was so knowledgeable and close to the situation that he was at the airport and not the ISU game being played.

Time for SLU to look at plan B.

Last edited by a moderator:

Assuming that is true, and ISU can keep that level of money available that they pulled together for Schertz to stay, they should be able to find a really good replacement. Would Graves make the step up and replace Josh or does he leave as wel

Probably Greg Doyel...

He was on 1070 today and all but confirmed. Go to the 1hr 12 min and 30 seconds portion.

Back