[January 4, 2020] Indiana State (8-4) at Drake (10-3)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Pretty much. Hats off to Drake for making shots.

That said, our offensive philosophy that last 5 minutes was moronic. Had them in the double bonus and Key drove what, 1-2 times?

True, but we lost this game because we couldn’t guard for shit tonight. If the entire next practice isn’t dedicated to pick and roll defense we are wasting our time. This was nothing but Penn and Robbins playing PNR while the rest of the roster waited for a spot up three. We just didn’t make enough stops.

we got beat behind the arc...almost all stats are the same.....even FG percentage both shooting 51.9%.....they made 10 and we made 6 threes.

If we can figure out the defensive end, we will be really good. If not, we’ll be a .500 team. Winning in this league, and especially on the road is done at the defensive end. Also need more help from our bench. On to the next one.

If we can figure out the defensive end, we will be really good. If not, we’ll be a .500 team. Winning in this league, and especially on the road is done at the defensive end. Also need more help from our bench. On to the next one.

Ding ding

I hate to lose, and this was definitely a game we could have won. But our two freshman scored nearly half of our 76 points. They are the real deal, and the future is brighter than we’ve seen in some time.

I hate to lose, and this was definitely a game we could have won. But our two freshman scored nearly half of our 76 points. They are the real deal, and the future is brighter than we’ve seen in some time.

In the midst of my “toddler-like” fit, when the ref swallowed the whistle on Tyreke’s layup attempt, this ^ was the very thing that calmed me down. We get basically zero from 2/3 of our seniors. We start 2 freshmen, a sophomore and a junior. Hopefully this is a learning experience that will help us get better. We didn’t come out aggressively on the shooters and dug ourselves a hole. We also had terrible late game execution. I can live with that in early January because the bright spots overshadowed the loss. Also the refs blew the two most important calls of the game. The phantom jump ball call on Tre and the blown body hammer on Tyreke really f’d our chances.

Drake is going to be a tough team to handle in March. Especially if they get their injured players get healthy giving them more depth. I hope we can avoid them in Arch Madness.

Was anyone else wondering why we didn't foul, down 2 possessions, with :33 left to extend the game? Instead we just let them dribble it down until they shot with :12 left and the game was essentially over, I was screaming for someone to foul and we just let them dribble the ball, ugh

Was anyone else wondering why we didn't foul, down 2 possessions, with :33 left to extend the game? Instead we just let them dribble it down until they shot with :12 left and the game was essentially over, I was screaming for someone to foul and we just let them dribble the ball, ugh

Yes that was bizarre. Again, terrible late game execution.

Drake Squeaks Past Sycamores In Des Moines

image_handler.aspx

There was no quit in the Indiana State Sycamores as they countered several Drake runs but the Bulldogs had the last spurt and the Sycamores ran out of time in falling 80-76 to the Drake Bulldogs in front of 3,490 fans inside the Knapp Center.

More...

Yes that was bizarre. Again, terrible late game execution.

Don't forget the "drive & lob" that was tossed into a quagmire of players, including the 7'0"er Robbins. This was AFTER a Lansing timeout and we were down by only 2. You figure...

As stated previously, this game was going to be won in the BACKCOURT. ISU's preoccupation w/ Robbins in the 1st half provided a safe cushion on the perimeter. Drake took advantage, having four (4) more 3's on the game within high %. You have to throw a mix of defenses against Drake to take 'em out of their half court, guard-oriented rhythm. But of course, this isn't OUR STYLE, is it?

Last edited:
When I watched Drake and UNI in person on New Years Eve I thought Drake looked better than Northern Iowa. This isn't really a bad loss. Drake has a lot of players back from last season's team that shared the MVC regular season title. Our defense does need to get better if we are going to contend for anything other than a 6th place finish. I have watched a ton of MVC games this season and I would rank UNI, Bradley, Drake, and Loyola all ahead of us at this point. Missouri State, Valparaiso, and Evansville have all looked pretty good at times as well.

I have my doubts that we will beat UNI. AJ Green is definitely their best player and I just don't see us being able to stop him. Isaiah Brown is also a pretty good guard for them. From what I have heard Haldeman will be out for a while with an ankle sprain that occurred during the Illinois State game. Their bigs are okay, but they are not the best. I was definitely not impressed with their passing ability. It should be a winnable game for us, I just have my doubts. Bradley was up by double digits early last night, before UNI came back and ultimately won. AJ had 34 points as well.

Illinois State next Saturday will definitely be a must win for us, no matter what happens on Tuesday.

How was that not a carry?

no one is called for a carry... at any level... go watch biddy ball, most refs I've spoken with fall back on the "... it doesn't create an advantage... they're kids, they're learning..."

the game gets sloppier and sloppier and kids don't learn how to play sound, fundamental basketball

Last edited:
We aint winning any games on the road or at home for that matter if we're going to allow 80 points and let a team shoot what 47% from 3 pt and 58% or so from the field?? It will not matter who we play - that sort of a defensive effort will not get the job done. Our AD on Twitter even thought it was a terrific defensive effort - which was among one of the more perplexing takes I'ver ever seen in all of sports...

The last couple games we've gotten zero contributions off the bench - that has become very concerning to me. Cam, CWilliams, Washington, Kessinger, Agbo, Barnes - someone needs to step up off that bench and give us some #'s. Yesterday was an awful display of bench play.

Cooper Neese needs to be more involved in our O. Lansing has made such a concentrated effort to involve Tre and Jake that he's neglected to find shots for one of our best scorers in Neese - he can open so much up for this team with his shot fake and his shooting.

I have been wondering to myself for 3 years if JB will ever hit a big shot for this team - he two opportunities down the stretch last night and once again couldn't make it happen. So we go with something else out of a TO Lansing draws up a lob with the game on the line? Or was it for Key to make a decision dribble drive pass or shoot? Will never know - but it neither was open and we got an empty pos. and that was the ball game. Jake Odum had an uncanny ability to get to the FT line or steady the ship - just make the right play when games got tight. We still don't have a guy who knows the situation and can make a big time basketball play... If the games are going to come down to Lansing having to draw up a play - consider it about an 80/20 outcome - 80% of the time we're going to get beat in that situation. We've won at the end of games when big time players make big time plays - Odum, Jake Kelly, Carl Richard - it's not been on set plays.

We didn't deserve to win the game - Drake played better & quite frankly appears to be the better team at this point in the season. From the Twitter commentary from Golden and some of our fans I was left with the notion that I was supposed to feel good about that game last night. Slept on it - nope still don't feel good about it! We were the team 1-0 in conference, we were team riding one of the nations longest winning streaks - we had all of the reasons in the world to come out and win that game yesterday and we got beat and it wasn't near as close as the score indicated. Last night wasn't a step forward for me or even a neutral outcome at that - another step back because it's the type of game that good teams win and we got beat again. That game actually tells me a lot about this team - they will battle, they will flight - but they haven't arrived and they've got a long way to go before they do.

Oh well... On to the next one.

Last edited:
no one is called for a carry... at any level... go watch biddy ball, most refs I've spoken with fall back on the "... it doesn't create an advantage... they're kids, they're learning..."

the game gets sloppier and sloppier and kids don't learn how to play sound, fundamental basketball

This one in particular was dribbled above his shoulder. I know you're not going to get it called but one that is that high just can't be disregarded IMO.

We aint winning any games on the road or at home for that matter if we're going to allow 80 points and let a team shoot what 47% from 3 pt and 58% or so from the field?? It will not matter who we play - that sort of a defensive effort will not get the job done. Our AD on Twitter even thought it was a terrific defensive effort - which was among one of the more perplexing takes I'ver ever seen in all of sports...

The last couple games we've gotten zero contributions off the bench - that has become very concerning to me. Cam, CWilliams, Washington, Kessinger, Agbo, Barnes - someone needs to step up off that bench and give us some #'s. Yesterday was an awful display of bench play.

Cooper Neese needs to be more involved in our O. Lansing has made such a concentrated effort to involve Tre and Jake that he's neglected to find shots for one of our best scorers in Neese - he can open so much up for this team with his shot fake and his shooting.

I have been wondering to myself for 3 years if JB will ever hit a big shot for this team - he two opportunities down the stretch last night and once again couldn't make it happen. So we go with something else out of a TO Lansing draws up a lob with the game on the line? Or was it for Key to make a decision dribble drive pass or shoot? Will never know - but it neither was open and we got an empty pos. and that was the ball game. Jake Odum had an uncanny ability to get to the FT line or steady the ship - just make the right play when games got tight. We still don't have a guy who knows the situation and can make a big time basketball play... If the games are going to come down to Lansing having to draw up a play - consider it about an 80/20 outcome - 80% of the time we're going to get beat in that situation. We've won at the end of games when big time players make big time plays - Odum, Jake Kelly, Carl Richard - it's not been on set plays.

We didn't deserve to win the game - Drake played better & quite frankly appears to be the better team at this point in the season. From the Twitter commentary from Golden and some of our fans I was left with the notion that I was supposed to feel good about that game last night. Slept on it - nope still don't feel good about it! We were the team 1-0 in conference, we were team riding one of the nations longest winning streaks - we had all of the reasons in the world to come out and win that game yesterday and we got beat and it wasn't near as close as the score indicated. Last night wasn't a step forward for me or even a neutral outcome at that - another step back because it's the type of game that good teams win and we got beat again. That game actually tells me a lot about this team - they will battle, they will flight - but they haven't arrived and they've got a long way to go before they do.

Oh well... On to the next one.

I’m gonna stay with the notion it was a step neutral. JB was a great scorer for us for 2 1/2 years. He was never a good point guard and still isn’t. Some of it is just a lack of size. IMO we should never have a PG less than around 6’2” unless he has a Menser streak in him. And you are correct, I don’t ever remember him making a big game winning shot. We can be a good team, we won’t be a great team until we get a great point guard. Come on SSOM, it’s a new year and I’m gonna try to be a glass half full guy this year.

This one in particular was dribbled above his shoulder. I know you're not going to get it called but one that is that high just can't be disregarded IMO.

I agree, I think all carries should be called; all travels and as many fouls as possible. Sadly, too many coaches have adopted the Dick Pitino method of defense... grab, push, hold, foul and the refs either feel overwhelmed on browbeat by Dick Pitino and other ref-baiting, abusive coaches

I find I watch less and less MBB annually; virtually zero NBA because of the crap product on the court

Just got done reading Golden's DownInTheValley - I guess it's a positive thing that he and most of you seem to be content with the loss to Drake. Not suggesting your pleased by it at all - just not that big of deal because we played hard/kept it close?? I'm trying to understand.

The game wasn't that close - we were able to get close late. We were in the bonus most of the second half and still managed to shoot fewer free-throws than them. If anything - for a road whistle it probably favored us more than anything.

I'm not doom and gloom over a road loss by any stretch but given what was riding on it and what we had going for us coming in - isn't it just more of the same? A lot of people on here make small talk by talking about Indy Star media coverage or the late season collapse stuff - my new rule of thumb is when I start to see "random fans" getting excited on social media etc. that is when it's time to sell your stock and get out while the market is good! The market is still good...

I still think this team has a lot of work to do on defense. Back on 12/2 I posted some team defensive stats and how we ranked in the NCAA and it didn't paint a very favorable picture. As you can imagine with an 8 game winning streak things did improve quite a bit - here is how we look now:

Ranked 267 out of 350 in Scoring Defense. Now 214

Ranked 334 out of 350 in Personal Fouls PG. Now 257

Ranked 300 out of 350 in FG% Defense. Now 273

Ranked 309 out of 350 in steals per game. Now 255

Ranked 149 out of 350 in 3pt FG Def. Now 133

Ranked 289 out of 350 in Total Blocks Now 231

Still a lot of room for improvement on this side of the ball...

I see it called but Im not watching NCAA outside of us. I didnt see this play but I go by the "a high dribble isnt a violation". a lot of times it is a carry though especially if there is much movement while it happens.

I also suck at officiating basketball so take that with a grain of salt.

I thought they could have called an easy foul on that last layup by Key. the guy got all ball with his hand but landed in the middle of his back. It wouldnt have had to be a HUGE call, down 4 with little time left and shooting 2? you probably wouldnt even change the overall outcome.

Back