Jewel Hampton leaving Iowa; Ends up at Southern Illinois

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

from the iowa city website today......

Ferentz: No more suspensions on the horizon
December 14, 2010 | Hawk Central

Kirk Ferentz said at a news conference today that no more suspensions are expected for the Hawkeye football team, despite rampant rumors to the contrary.

Ferentz appeared at a news conference with Athletics Director Gary Barta at 10 a.m. today.

Speculation was running wild that the news conference would reveal that there were more suspensions coming in light of the arrest of Derrell Johnson-Koulianos last week.

On Monday evening, Ferentz announced that running back Adam Robinson would be suspended for the bowl game and that running back Jewel Hampton was leaving the team. Part of the reasoning for calling today’s press meeting was to make it clear that all of these incidents are not related.

Ferentz expects Robinson to return to the team when classes resume in January, and that Hampton’s departure was a “mutual decision” between Ferentz and the player.

Other highlights:

– Barta outlined UI’s drug testing program, and said that the department has discovered areas in which the testing protocol needs to be tightened. He emphasized that no athlete was caught trying to skirt the test in some fashion, but that potential ways to get around the tests were discovered. The NCAA and the Big Ten also do random testing, and Iowa is not required to have its own program. UI has had its program in place since 1988.

– Ferentz said that the department doesn’t do background checks on the roommates of players living with people not on the football team, but he did raise the possibility that perhaps they should. Johnson-Koulianos was living with a man with a prior drug conviction at the time of his arrest.

– Barta said that the football program is in the “best of hands” both on and off the field. He and Ferentz also gave a vote of confidence to Chigozie “Chick” Ejiasi, who was hired a couple of years ago as a “life skills” coach to help stem a tide of off-the-field problems with student athletes, particularly football players.

– Ferentz said he wasn’t aware that any other players knew of Johnson-Koulianos’ drug issues, and that if players were aware of it, it’s unfortunate that none came forward.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Good News!

Well, after the clarification by the AD and KF, if he wasn't attached to the drug issues going on at Iowa and all he had was the PI, I have no problems giving him a second chance.

Well, that is certainly good news -- agree with TJ, if his only 'baggage' is the public intox; I can live with him joining us.

"We don't anticipate any more announcements on our roster," coach Kirk Ferentz said. Ferentz added that Robinson is eligible and he expects the sophomore to rejoin the team in January.

Robinson emerged as Iowa's lead back in 2009 after Hampton tore the ACL in his right knee and missed the season. This year, Robinson led the Hawkeyes (7-5, 4-4 Big Ten) with 941 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns despite missing two starts due to concussions.

Ferentz said all 92 football players have been drug-tested this season, 27 by outside companies and 65 within the Iowa program. Players are tested randomly at least once a year by the school, in addition to Big Ten and NCAA testing.

Iowa spends roughly $70,000 a year on its own year-round drug-testing program, which isn't mandated by the NCAA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5919292

Should I assume this kind of thing doesn't bother anyone but me?

– Barta said that the football program is in the “best of hands” both on and off the field. He and Ferentz also gave a vote of confidence to Chigozie “Chick” Ejiasi, who was hired a couple of years ago as a “life skills” coach to help stem a tide of off-the-field problems with student athletes, particularly football players.

I always hear from the Big Buck Program Boosters that the Big Buck Payback college athletes get for their sweat and pain (putting aside the very few who go pro and make a few bucks there) is "life skills." I didn't realize they have special coaches for that, too. Are "life skills" coaches paid more or less than the coaches who work with left-handed wide outs?

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
this is what i was afraid of.....i didnt want to see him end up....

at another mvc school and end up playing against indiana state....but...oh well...lol.....

He could be great, but he had reconstructive surgery to both knees the past two seasons. Most Iowa fans didn't even want him back and assumed his career was pretty much done. I wouldn't worry until we see what he can do.

we have dealt with big backs before...I would be a lil more worried if he had iowa o-line blocking for him...and an iowa defense to keep him on the field....lol...

Back