Mark Adams on the changed landscape in college hoops

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Sycamorefan96

The All-American Level
I always love revisiting old recruit threads, hot topics, etc. to see how close or far we were to "predicting the future". It was pretty amusing to dust off this extremely old thread back when the NCAA was a much simpler place.

I guess the one this we didn't take into account was the transfer portal.

I also figured a SA would HAVE to give their "sponsorship" some sort of intrinsic value ie. commercial appearances, billboards, wearing certain shoes, social media posts, etc. I was so naive back then
I was curious if I had anything to say back then. Sure enough I did, and I still agree with everything I said back then.
------------------------------------------------------------

July 2, 2021

"As far as I'm concerned, any school in Indiana that pays players should be ineligible to receive any taxpayer money. If you have the money to pay players, give them cars, etc, then you don't need any money from the state. I know it hasn't quite reached that point yet, but it's probably coming sooner rather than later.

If they are going to allow players to make money from "their likeness" there better be some very strict rules on what's allowed and what's not. In general I think this will be very bad for college athletics, especially for schools like ISU."

4Q_iu

The Kleuh Level
Supporter
Interesting. I hadn’t thought of this being a possibility, honestly.

He better have some real leverage (i.e. another school), or he’s just going to look like an asshole.
he already resembles an a$$hole

4Q_iu

The Kleuh Level
Supporter
Which is why the system is going to crumble. It's flawed by design. You can't say they are businesses out of one side of your mouth like the Supreme Court did and then also mandate them to fund sports that cannot turn a profit.
you're relying on the Supreme Court to provide guidance and wisdom?? o_O

4Q_iu

The Kleuh Level
Supporter
I’m not so sure he really does. And if he does good for him, but where was he when all of these programs were setting up fake classes, hiring hookers, not having kids attend classes etc. now the problem is too big to look the other way I suppose.

He was busy defending his good friends Pitino, Calipari, Boeheim etc.

4Q_iu

The Kleuh Level
Supporter
I was curious if I had anything to say back then. Sure enough I did, and I still agree with everything I said back then.
------------------------------------------------------------

July 2, 2021

"As far as I'm concerned, any school in Indiana that pays players should be ineligible to receive any taxpayer money. If you have the money to pay players, give them cars, etc, then you don't need any money from the state. I know it hasn't quite reached that point yet, but it's probably coming sooner rather than later.

If they are going to allow players to make money from "their likeness" there better be some very strict rules on what's allowed and what's not. In general I think this will be very bad for college athletics, especially for schools like ISU."

Just a couple of things you're mis-interpreting, forgetting or ignoring...

the schools ARE paying the players today - via their scholarships, which cover the "full cost of attendance..." so, gone now are the days of full ride scholie athletes also receiving GSLs (Pell Grants or Perkins Loans) to "cover what their scholie didn't cover..."

the "pay" you're referring to in your earlier post is coming today in the form of the NIL and those $$$ are NOT coming from the school(s) but rather from deep-pocketed alums or "friends of the coach or the AD" or the university"

BrokerZ

The Menser Level
Supporter
So now we're at the part in Blue Chips where Coach Pete Bell realizes he has taken the cheating too far and he's lost control of his program to Happy Kuykendahl. Sorry, Coach! Tony isn't giving those keys back to the loaner.

That film is now a documentary, it seems.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
The latest from Oklahoma AD Castiglione on NIL: "One minute, you’re talking about name, image and likeness. And the next minute you realize that while that was a nice concept, the world has moved so far past it that it is really the conduit to something far different. Like some type of pay-for-play. ... You talk to people in this business. I’ve heard people say they’re worried about the soul of college athletics. Not just the enterprise. Because of what we see happening. And no real plan to organize it properly ...There’s going to have to be some type of structure, or we’re going to see epic change. The whole enterprise cannot sustain this level of change at such a rate and not have some significant collateral damage. ... When there’s lack of leadership and lack of direction, there’s a vacuum. It gets filled with something. Now it’s getting filled with whatever somebody thinks is the way they want to go forward."

Bluethunder

Hugh McAwesome
Supporter
The latest from Oklahoma AD Castiglione on NIL: "One minute, you’re talking about name, image and likeness. And the next minute you realize that while that was a nice concept, the world has moved so far past it that it is really the conduit to something far different. Like some type of pay-for-play. ... You talk to people in this business. I’ve heard people say they’re worried about the soul of college athletics. Not just the enterprise. Because of what we see happening. And no real plan to organize it properly ...There’s going to have to be some type of structure, or we’re going to see epic change. The whole enterprise cannot sustain this level of change at such a rate and not have some significant collateral damage. ... When there’s lack of leadership and lack of direction, there’s a vacuum. It gets filled with something. Now it’s getting filled with whatever somebody thinks is the way they want to go forward."
Screw him. This is what the P5 wanted, so go figure it out. I don’t feel sorry for any of these ADs. If they couldn’t see that this was going to be the end result then they are too stupid to be in their jobs to begin with

Sycamorefan96

The All-American Level
The one positive I can think of is that everyone in the MVC is in the same bad situation as us when it comes to NIL. Almost everyone in our conference are going to have roster shakeups yearly when it comes to key players. We'll all be nothing more than a P5 developmental league, but at the end of the day a MVC Title is still going to be everyone's goal.

The difference I see coming for the MVC is that everyone will be trying to build teams that can win now as opposed to later. What's the point of developing a high school player that is going to leave when they are a Junior or Senior?

krwilson2

The Starter Level
The one positive I can think of is that everyone in the MVC is in the same bad situation as us when it comes to NIL. Almost everyone in our conference are going to have roster shakeups yearly when it comes to key players. We'll all be nothing more than a P5 developmental league, but at the end of the day a MVC Title is still going to be everyone's goal.

The difference I see coming for the MVC is that everyone will be trying to build teams that can win now as opposed to later. What's the point of developing a high school player that is going to leave when they are a Junior or Senior?
Is it time to open a prep school and funnel to mid-majors? Imagine if there were agreements between JUCOs and schools...oh wait. There might be already? Then perhaps The NIL stuff bleeds into the AAU coaches and HS coaches to act as funnels. Can we call it the Addidas / Pitino plan?

krwilson2

The Starter Level
At what point does a conference have a standing NIL with their sponsors? The MVC brought to you by Apple TV? Anyone?

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
At what point does a conference have a standing NIL with their sponsors? The MVC brought to you by Apple TV? Anyone?

The conferences already have sponsorships. I don't think they can create conference-wide deals on behalf of the athletes. But who really knows anymore. If so, I'm sure the SEC or Big10 will be the first to get it done.

Hooper

The All-MVC Level
Supporter