Mid-Majors to start balking at guarantee games?

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Multiple could mean "three".

I'm assuming a guarantee game is code for a "buy game".

If a mid-major coach is gonna sacrifice $90k just so that their star player won't be "live evaluated" by a Power 5 program, then said mid-major must have an extremely competitive basketball budget.

Honestly - this just goes to show you where the heads of these programs are at. You telling me as a fan that you’d rather have a $90k buy game than you would have say Odum in his day or Key now?!

Why shouldn’t mid majors be thinking at ways to mitigate this risk and this gap that the NCAA and P5’s have created.

I’ve been preaching on here longer than maybe anyone how big the gap has gotten... A lot of my preaching centered around a coach who was on the hot seat. But it still applies - if your expectation for JS is to make the tournament or finish in the top 3 in the Mo Val every year then go take a nap... Because you don’t have the lowest budget in the league and deal with transfer portal nonsense and get to make tournaments and finish in the top 3. It’s not all about winning if your a fan of a mid major program - it can’t be. Not until the NCAA and P5’s get a clue and realize they’re ruining college basketball. That will never happen though - too much money it.

So if your gut reaction is well “multiple could mean 3” or ho hum that doesn’t apply to us here at Indiana or whatever it is - you totally missed the point. When a guy that covers college basketball for a living tells you that the gap has never been greater - if you’re a mid major fan and didn’t realize that before today then maybe someone other than myself can help you understand. They’re playing by a different set of rules at those schools and have been for awhile.

Wake up now nap time is over.

You telling me as a fan that you’d rather have a $90k buy game than you would have say Odum in his day or Key now?!

Please enlighten me with an instance in which Lansing chose to not play a buy game because he was worried about the other head coach poaching Odum or Key.

I would still play the buy games. Players are going to be seen and it’s unlikely that one game against IU or Kentucky is all of a sudden going to make one of those programs take a player that they wouldn’t look at otherwise. If a kid can play, the blue bloods will know about him one way or the other.

Furthermore, I don’t want Indiana State to be the school that only plays smaller schools and never schedules up because we are afraid to lose a player. Who wants to go to a program that never plays against a heavyweight and/or national tv? Or at a big MTE? I think that was one of HCGLs biggest selling points to kids, the fact that they would get to play against really strong teams year after year.

Please enlighten me with an instance in which Lansing chose to not play a buy game because he was worried about the other head coach poaching Odum or Key.
It was a hypothetical scenario good grief. He obviously never did this as he had the philosophy to play anyone anywhere... The landscape is drastically changing and not in mid majors favor is the point. Don’t be so dense.

You guys are really reading his tweet verbatim which is fine - but you’re focusing in on the wrong thing in my opinion.

The NCAA and P5’s enjoy you looking at this and discussing this as a well that doesn’t make sense type of issue.

I’m encouraging you to look at the bigger picture and what some schools are faced with. I’m not endorsing the idea - I’m saying I can see where some schools might be looking to try and take some power back... If it makes the product worse or like Jason says if it forces them to go on the road if they want to play a mid major to get a potential win on the scheduled then come play us here we don’t need to come to you for various reasons - budget, potential exposure of our athletes, lack of at-large bids given to mid major conference(s). Big picture is the NCAA wants your money and they want to hand it out to the P5’s and they love doing business with you.

It was a hypothetical scenario good grief. He obviously never did this as he had the philosophy to play anyone anywhere... The landscape is drastically changing and not in mid majors favor is the point. Don’t be so dense.
That was my point, I prefer mid-major coaches who will play anyone, anywhere.

But thank you for calling me dense.

You guys are really reading his tweet verbatim which is fine - but you’re focusing in on the wrong thing in my opinion.

The NCAA and P5’s enjoy you looking at this and discussing this as a well that doesn’t make sense type of issue.

I’m encouraging you to look at the bigger picture and what some schools are faced with. I’m not endorsing the idea - I’m saying I can see where some schools might be looking to try and take some power back... If it makes the product worse or like Jason says if it forces them to go on the road if they want to play a mid major to get a potential win on the scheduled then come play us here we don’t need to come to you for various reasons - budget, potential exposure of our athletes, lack of at-large bids given to mid major conference(s). Big picture is the NCAA wants your money and they want to hand it out to the P5’s and they love doing business with you.

The problem is unless everyone outside the P5 band together, it's pointless. This is the same sort of thing that led to the P5 getting autonomy when all of these slapdick admins just rolled over and voted against their own best interests because their goal one day is to be at one of those schools. Say what you will about Prettyman giving Lansing the lifetime deal but he was very vocal about this happening and was 100% right.

The other reason why schools are probably handcuffed is these P5 guys know coaches aren't going to tell recruits "Sorry, we're not going to try to schedule the best because they may see you play and then want you to transfer." Toss in the fact most schools NEEEEEED that money. Handcuffed. That is why I hope at least some schools broker 2-for-1s and get at least one visit where they can hype and market that game to their fanbase to cash in.

People can bag on the NCAA all they want but this is the sort of thing where thoughtful legislation should be created that benefits ALL members, not just P5 schools.

That was my point, I prefer mid-major coaches who will play anyone, anywhere.

But thank you for calling me dense.
Don’t take it personal. It wasn’t like the worst name in the world... Bryson told Brooks he had no abs - like that’s not even remotely the same.

And maybe I’m the dense one because I wouldn’t define dense as “stupid” as a quick google search just educated me on... I was simply trying to say - can we think critically together. So dense might have been an improper usage because I didn’t mean to suggest you were stupid or anything close.

At this point I am all for "1AA" basketball with our own national tournament like we have in football. If the Gonzaga's, BYU's, Loyola's, and Dayton's of the world think they can compete for titles at the D1(A) level then good for them, but schools like ours will never be able to compete for anything with the current setup and the very relaxed transfer rules; and it will never get any better. Anyone that thinks otherwise is living in an alternate reality.

At this point I am all for "1AA" basketball with our own national tournament like we have in football. If the Gonzaga's, BYU's, Loyola's, and Dayton's of the world think they can compete for titles at the D1(A) level then good for them, but schools like ours will never be able to compete for anything with the current setup and the very relaxed transfer rules; and it will never get any better. Anyone that thinks otherwise is living in an alternate reality.

No thanks. Site will shut down the instant we quit playing big boy hoops. Nobody gives a shit about FCS football (our fans included) and if we followed suit in basketball the same thing would gradually happen.

The only way I see any sort of equalization is to kick the bucket and officially pay players along with the introduction a salary cap. Every school gets X dollars to distribute and there is no overspend, no overrecruiting, no luxury tax, no greyshirting, none of that shit. That way the media deals and the like don't matter outside of spending it on the back end.

Suddenly when Kentucky can't *cough* pay *cough* 10 five-stars under the table and they can get a "max deal" going to an Alabama State and staying home, I think you'd see some serious changes in the landscape. We'd also see who can actually identify talent, manage a program and recruit. I think you'd also see coaches become program builders because they could truly win anywhere.

Over time, I think you'd also see better revenue distribution to smaller schools because they'd be competing on a level playing field so they'd get more tournament units, more name recognition, etc.

No thanks. Site will shut down the instant we quit playing big boy hoops. Nobody gives a shit about FCS football (our fans included) and if we followed suit in basketball the same thing would gradually happen.
We have just as many fans show up for football as we do for basketball. The real issue is that nobody gives a "shit" about ISU. Our football program has traditionally been a loser program and our basketball, outside of 1979, has also traditionally been a loser program. Most people have no interest in watching losers, besides the few of us that are diehards.

We have just as many fans show up for football as we do for basketball. The real issue is that nobody gives a "shit" about ISU. Our football program has traditionally been a loser program and our basketball, outside of 1979, has also traditionally been a loser program. Most people have no interest in watching losers, besides the few of us that are diehards.
Stop. You’re grasping at straws here... This historic program isn’t going D2 and that has nothing to do with the original topic to begin with. I think we can all agree to move on from that ridiculous suggestion now.

You guys keep drinking that kool-aid on how great and important ISU Basketball is. We can't get home games against P5's, we take paydays from P5's, and they do their very best to keep mid majors out of the NCAA Tourament. We might not be 1AA officially right now, but the reality is that we're not too far off from it.

Any idea how much Purdue pays us to play in West Lafayette?
I can't find It now, but there was an article online right after we blew out IU a few years ago that said IU paid us around $90K. I would assume that Purdue probably pays us around the same, but I could be wrong.

Back