[November 23, 2022] Indiana State (4-1) vs Drexel (3-2)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
i
vs.
i

Indiana State Sycamores (4-1) vs. Drexel Dragons (3-2)

Hertz Arena -Estero, FL
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2022
Tip: 5:00pm

Last edited:

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Would be nice to have a bounce back game. Hopefully our offense/shooting improves. They have a big that will be difficult to match up with but most teams we face do.

i
vs.
i

Indiana State Sycamores (4-1) vs. Drexel Dragos (3-2)

Hertz Arena -Estero, FL
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2022
Tip: 5:00pm

is it just me or is Drexel throwing out some series House of Targaryen vibes?

Dragos... that's the modern spelling of Drogo - no?

I just hope we finally get a decent officiating crew.

ITF the officials cost us that game today or generally speaking you just hope we get one? At 4-1 would you say we’ve been on the wrong end of the whistle?

I know you know the answer so don’t feel like you need to humor me. But come on. This entire tournament has been officiated this way.

While we’re on the topic - has anyone else noticed the shift in the college game especially this year on travel calls?! Oh my goodness. The amount of shuffling, movement of the pivot foot, jumping into a 3 point shot etc etc. that they allow these days is insane. It’s a different game.

Just imagine the player's reactions if the officials called the game with 1980's rules. Everyone would get a T. That wasn't a travel. I only took 3 steps then switched pivot feet.

How we respond today ........... very important to how these guys respond to a little adversity. Don't like what I am seeing in that regard during these last two games; barely hanging on vs ECU, not answering the bell late vs KC.

"While we’re on the topic - has anyone else noticed the shift in the college game especially this year on travel calls?! Oh my goodness. The amount of shuffling, movement of the pivot foot, jumping into a 3 point shot etc etc. that they allow these days is insane. It’s a different game."

They barely call 3 sec or travel on bigs in the paint. Really irritating. Nothing in the rulebook says a center is allowed to move his feet so he can shoot.

ITF the officials cost us that game today or generally speaking you just hope we get one? At 4-1 would you say we’ve been on the wrong end of the whistle?

I know you know the answer so don’t feel like you need to humor me. But come on. This entire tournament has been officiated this way.

While we’re on the topic - has anyone else noticed the shift in the college game especially this year on travel calls?! Oh my goodness. The amount of shuffling, movement of the pivot foot, jumping into a 3 point shot etc etc. that they allow these days is insane. It’s a different game.
No, the officials didn’t cost us the game, we did that to ourselves. I just think they’ve generally been terrible this whole tournament. The stuff they call vs the stuff they let go is just ridiculous, imho.

Drexel looks like an SIU clone, so this game should be interesting. They play at a snails pace (one of the slowest teams in D1), don’t do anything well offensively, but defend like crazy. Definitely a clash of styles today, which should be interesting.

Drexel has a 6’10” big, Amari Williams, that is a LOAD. He averages 17/10, and does all of his work in the paint. Prototypical big man who the offense works through, and he gobbled up boards. I would say this matchup concerns me, but I think we’ve actually done well against teams who play through a typical big.

The shooter on the team is Coletrane Washington, which is just such a badass name. Sounds like he should be a sidekick in a 70’s buddy-cop movie with Shaft. Anyway…he’s deadly from 3, shooting it at 50% for the year. We can’t leave this guy open.

Justin Moore is a freshman guard who has good assist numbers, but will absolutely turn the ball over. We need to get aggressive with him defensively and keep him flustered.

Overall, this is another game we should win. I’m not sure which ISU team is going to show up since we’ve basically played like shit all tournament, but I’ll predict a Sycamore victory: 72-67.

Drexel looks like an SIU clone, so this game should be interesting. They play at a snails pace (one of the slowest teams in D1), don’t do anything well offensively, but defend like crazy. Definitely a clash of styles today, which should be interesting
Sounds like a Lansing coached team. I guess we’ll see which style is best. I think I like the more aggressive offense of Shertz with the good defense of Lansing. I’ve never understood why most teams only have one of them.

Some guesses...

Leading Scorer: Voss
Rebounder: Voss
Assists: Bledson
Steals: Larry
Blocks: Kent
Threes: Voss
Technicals: The Bench and Voss and Henry and The Fan in Section 4, Row 9, Seat 2
Winner: Sycamores
Shoot Fewer than 35 Threes?: Yes
Make More than 10 FTs?: Yes
Fewer than 18 TOs? Geez, I Hope so

I stayed off here last night because i was so irritated. It has eased some this morning, but if we don't come out tonight playing with some passion and like a "team", then i don't think it bodes well for our season. Our own coach said we got rattled and started to play selfish....that coupled with all the bitching we do shows we are EXTREMELY weak mentally.

Overall, this is another game we should win. I’m not sure which ISU team is going to show up since we’ve basically played like shit all tournament, but I’ll predict a Sycamore victory: 72-67.

This feels like a game that will either be close like you said or we'll absolutely run away with because they don't see to matchup well. Also, if we can somehow get their big to pick up cheap fouls in the process, double bonus.

I think I'd give Avila a long look at the C position. McKnight hasn't shown me anything yet, and Robbie, while a freshman, has shown some glimpses of quality. Might as well throw him to the wolves and see how he does.

Back