Prominent high school programs to build pipelines

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
If I had one complaint about Royce, and I've stated this before, it is his lack of activity in the Indianapolis recruiting community especially with his ties to Indianapolis when he was a coach at the University of Indianapolis.

There are several prominent programs in the state of Indiana in the metropolitan Indianapolis area and I'd also go out and state it is the most competitive basketball in the state and some of the tops in the country. I'd really love to see McKenna establish himself here and get pipelines built with programs like Lawrence North, North Central, et al, that pump out D-1 talent on a yearly basis.

What other programs would you like to see McKenna build a pipeline to?

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Well it depends on what you want to accomplish Svo. Do you want ISU to go after the best kids in the state regardless of location, or do you feel they need to be from certain Geographic portions of the state to stir up local interest?

Well it depends on what you want to accomplish Svo. Do you want ISU to go after the best kids in the state regardless of location, or do you feel they need to be from certain Geographic portions of the state to stir up local interest?
Both, really.

First, schools like Lawrence North continually have talent and are very well coached. While you're unlikely to grab their five star players, they probably have several kids that are undervalued due to playing with those other players. For instance, I think they have 4 or 5 kids at 6-foot-8 or taller right now on that team. Ridiculous.

Second, I believe that over 66% of State's alumni base resides in Indiana, so it could help keep alumni involved or bring them back into the program when a kid from their current neck of the woods ventures over to play at Indiana State.

As an aside, the biggest alum concentration is in the Indianapolis area and I they could do some nice things by getting one game per year in the area. They currently have a series with Butler, but doing a neutral court game in Indianapolis could be advantageous if done right -- both for drawing alumni back in and for letting local Indianapolis talent have access to the program when they generally would not.

I would like to see the Chicago pipeline continued...it's already started w/ Isiah Martin and Carl Richard. I think that's where ISU could get some real steals. Kids aren't playing too far from home and they get to play in the well respected Valley.

I'd also like to see pipelines from specific AAU teams...get good relationships going w/ the coaches of these teams and through that relationship maybe try and get that edge needed to seal the deal.

The only constant pipeline we currently have is with players in Iowa. We have gotten several very talented kids that schools like Iowa,Iowa State, Northern Iowa and Mizzou have passed up. Alot of that credit goes to Greg Lansing. There is several markets like Indy,Gary,Chicago,Cincy and Louisville I'd like to see us go after more efective. Just the Terre Haute area alone has produced several very good Div. I players that have gone to the likes of IU,Purdue and Iowa. Just in the past 5-10 years we have missed out on guys like the Graves brothers from WRV and the Boyd kid from Dugger that went to Iowa and was solid. While we need pipelines in other cities I'd like to see us grab up some of the local talent we have let get away from us lately.

McKenna definitey has the chance here to connect with Indiana H.S. coaches. It'd be nice if he got out there and introduced himself around the state. It would go a long way to help change the perception of ISU.

I feel like he's already done this more than some may know. It wasn't long after he had accepted the job at Indy St when he spoke at an Indiana High School coaches gig in the place of Rick Majerus. As for recruiting locals, RJ Mahurin is already verballed and others are on the radar as you can see in the respective 2008,2009, and 2010 recruits mentioned. Mavunga would be a nice addition from Indy as well.

I'm guessing you'll see a nice mix of Indy kids mixed in w/ other mostly midwestern region kids in the future...also an occassional player outside the midwestern region when coaches see a kid at an AAU tourney or get a lead from contacts they've developed thru-out the years on a kid that may be outside the "normal" recruiting region.

He may not have known it, but the Indiana High School coaching gig was huge. If he can speak at it every year, I recommend that he does as those coaches really are a good ole boy network. Sampson repaired the damage done by Mike Davis at Indiana by speaking to them and doing several appearances. I've got friends in low places definitely rings true there.

I'm perfectly content to stay in the Midwest. I also agree about using the AAU circuit since it seems kids play more AAU ball these days then they do with their school teams.

He may not have known it, but the Indiana High School coaching gig was huge. If he can speak at it every year, I recommend that he does as those coaches really are a good ole boy network. Sampson repaired the damage done by Mike Davis at Indiana by speaking to them and doing several appearances. I've got friends in low places definitely rings true there.

I'm perfectly content to stay in the Midwest. I also agree about using the AAU circuit since it seems kids play more AAU ball these days then they do with their school teams.

...and for head coaches it's about one of the only times they get to see some of the prospective players they have on the radar. It's tough to catch games during the season due to schedule conflicts (master of the obvious statement but so true.)

...and for head coaches it's about one of the only times they get to see some of the prospective players they have on the radar. It's tough to catch games during the season due to schedule conflicts (master of the obvious statement but so true.)
Hah... yeah. How much influence do you think recruiting sites such as Rivals or Scout play within a college program? Do coaches really look at the video available there or shrug it off since it's mainly just highlight tapes?

I could see where a highlight tape might cause me to inquire further (like maybe pull a kid's box scores). I'd be shocked and a little scared if my college's coach was using rivals highlights and And1 mix tapes to pick the kids he wanted for his system alone.

From the sounds of it and what I know the coaches see these players live, mostly at AAU games during the summer then they'll follow them throughout their season...possibly go to a game or 3 depending on the proximity of the recruit. I don't think any of the CU coaches have memberships to rivals or scout...they get their info right from the horse's mouth...be it the coach (AAU, high school or JUDO) or the player.

From the sounds of it and what I know the coaches see these players live, mostly at AAU games during the summer then they'll follow them throughout their season...possibly go to a game or 3 depending on the proximity of the recruit. I don't think any of the CU coaches have memberships to rivals or scout...they get their info right from the horse's mouth...be it the coach (AAU, high school or JUDO) or the player.
I figured as much. I know it isn't like that at every program as I've heard direct quotes from recruits stating that Coach So and So offered me after he saw my film on Rivals. That's always been scary to me.

I agree Greg has done a great job and has worked extra hard! he should be moved up to head coach, as for the current coach he should be moved to grad assistant

Cole, let's cut to the chase. When you sit down and really think about last year, can you honestly say you gave everything you had, and furthermore, that you deserved more playing time then and in the future?

Yes I did give it everything I had! Every practice every play, I worked harder than anyone on that team, and for all of you that think I got what I deserve then I think you are wrong. And second of all, I bet they wish they would not have given up on me, adam, and lee. Because we beat the starters everday in practice. And for Coach Meckena to say we are part of a family is bull, families dont give up on one another!!! Thats no family, sorry I cant see how you support something like that.

Assuming you really are Cole, and I have no reason to doubt it, I don't think anyone here holds anything against you. During your short time with the Sycamores you gave us a lot of thrilling moments. I was sad to see you go, but that's how it goes. I'm 33 and in an industry where I know I could be laid off any day with the economy being what it is. It scares me, but I accept the fact.

It doesn't do your reputation and legacy with the program any good to come in here and bash the coach in thread after thread. Be proud of what you accomplished and tell us what you're doing now? I'd be curious to know and wish you the best.

Yes I did give it everything I had! Every practice every play, I worked harder than anyone on that team, and for all of you that think I got what I deserve then I think you are wrong. And second of all, I bet they wish they would not have given up on me, adam, and lee. Because we beat the starters everday in practice. And for Coach Meckena to say we are part of a family is bull, families dont give up on one another!!! Thats no family, sorry I cant see how you support something like that.

This may be harsh, but if you truly gave it your all, and he still asked you to leave, then you probably shouldn't have been playing D1 scholarship ball because you simply aren't good enough. If I am wrong, then you will emerge at some other school and prove us all wrong. Secondly, I have a hard time believing that you were beating the starters in practice every day. If that was the case, why didn't you play more? And furthermore, when you did play, why didn't you produce any results? You were very disappointing last year when given your opportunities. Stop blaming your problems on other people, own up to your shortcomings, and go out and prove people wrong. I wish you luck.

Back