Rivals ranks Penn State game as #2 most embarassing BCS scheduled game

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
2. Indiana State at Penn State
When: Sept. 3

The buzz: Indiana State is coming off a 6-5 record. For the Sycamores, that is reason to celebrate wildly. They had won a total of two games in the previous five seasons, and 2010's winning record snapped a streak of 13 consecutive losing seasons. In its past seven games against FBS opponents, the Sycamores have allowed an average of 50.3 points per contest.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1211005

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Also from the article:

A couple of things:

We do not care about the back-story of how and why some of these games came about. We know that some of the Big Six teams involved do have some good non-conference games. We're aware that some of these games were scheduled at the (relatively) last minute. But that in no way absolves anyone of blame. Bottom line: These games are pitiful, and the Big Six team involved should be embarrassed.

We are not being derisive of or impugning FCS football. We're not averse to FBS/FCS games per se. What we don't like are Big Six teams -- especially the ones with clout -- scheduling games against bad FCS teams.

"Bad" is the operative word. For the most part, Big Six teams don't want anything to do with top-level FCS programs, but there are some exceptions, among them Montana State at Utah on Sept. 1; Richmond at Duke, Eastern Washington at Washington, Appalachian State at Virginia Tech, McNeese State at Kansas and Montana at Tennessee on Sept. 3; Wofford at Clemson on Sept. 10; North Dakota State at Minnesota on Sept. 24; and Jacksonville State at Kentucky on Oct. 22.

Ummmm didn't we lead NDS at half? And somehow they are acceptable, yet we are on the opposite end of that list....what terrible sports writers.

it's going to be a few years before ISU gets ANY respect, it doesn't bother me personally, it's just something we all have to be patient about.

Same way with basketball. With RP at the helm we're heading in the right direction for all men's and women's sports. In RP we trust.
:sycamores:

We had a chance last year to make up some ground on these impressions with the 12-7 halftime score against Cincinnati. Keep that game close throughout, and maybe we wouldn't be on the list. The players have a chance to do something about it.

they have an excellent chance to do something about it, I'm sure they all realize it too, they just need to make sure they play fundamentally sound football and cut down on the crazy penalties this year, that alone would be a huge help.

While I don't think ISU can beat PSU I think they can certainly make it a respectable game up there.

We had a chance last year to make up some ground on these impressions with the 12-7 halftime score against Cincinnati. Keep that game close throughout, and maybe we wouldn't be on the list. The players have a chance to do something about it.

YSU kept it close at Penn State last season through the first half. I'd like to see us at least do the same.

they have an excellent chance to do something about it, I'm sure they all realize it too, they just need to make sure they play fundamentally sound football and cut down on the crazy penalties this year, that alone would be a huge help.

While I don't think ISU can beat PSU I think they can certainly make it a respectable game up there.[/QUOTE]

I'm just praying everyone stays healthy/injury-free.

Glad Coach Miles is willing to play this game; the $$$ are needed; let's just keep everybody healthy.

2. Indiana State at Penn State
When: Sept. 3

The buzz: Indiana State is coming off a 6-5 record. For the Sycamores, that is reason to celebrate wildly. They had won a total of two games in the previous five seasons, and 2010's winning record snapped a streak of 13 consecutive losing seasons. In its past seven games against FBS opponents, the Sycamores have allowed an average of 50.3 points per contest.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1211005

I think this is great...the more press this game gets the more people around the country will know the Sycamores are playing Penn State September 3rd! What an unbelievable experience and opportunity for this team and program. This team WILL compete. We can pray for no injuries (which I will be doing every game) but don't expect this team to play to avoid injury...that's when you're most vulnerable. I have confidence Coach Miles and this team's mindset will be "Play to WIN"!

I think this is great...the more press this game gets the more people around the country will know the Sycamores are playing Penn State September 3rd! What an unbelievable experience and opportunity for this team and program. This team WILL compete. We can pray for no injuries (which I will be doing every game) but don't expect this team to play to avoid injury...that's when you're most vulnerable. I have confidence Coach Miles and this team's mindset will be "Play to WIN"!

I agree with playing to win; I'm just looking at it from 85 scholies to 63 scholies; they 'dozens' of walk-ons to our handful; they're 'avg' lineman to ours.

Don't get me wrong; I think it'll be competitive, but I think it'll be far less so than the UCinn and Louisville games -- hope I'm wrong but I've watched ALOT of Penn St games in the last couple of seasons

Was talking to one of the incoming recruits at last Saturday's scrimmage...

the kid's older brother plays at Illinois State. Their father told me that Illinois State is not playing so-called "money games" anymore. The recruit's father, though, was against the move.

He thinks its a good idea to play one of those games each season.

Illinois State will be the only MVFC team not playing one, although their schedule (with Eastern Illinois and Morehead St next year) looks pretty good. I think it will hurt their recruiting some, because many of the FCS kids want to see how they measure up.

As a side note, Illinois State's Defensive Coord. is on an "indefinite leave of absence" per their web site. Spack is taking over the DC duties, at least for now.

NSF,
Is spack gonna turn that 3-4 back int a 4-3??? if they do...Guaranteed bottom half finish.

tn1_spack10.jpg

I havent read all the posts but I hope the writer didnt get paid his full salary for this story. This is exactally the same story they have been writing about money games for years. I would assume its a template that you put in team names and it kicks out the story for you.

If you dont like it, quit your job at the magazine and get in a position to change the fact that going undefeated is the biggest step to making the national championship game.

wow, i got out of control there....

Back