Sycamore Champions NIL Fund

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Just got a letter in the mail for this. Has anyone else received it?

I'm contemplating sending something but I'm a little disappointed you cannot designate where you want your funds to go. So I may hold off until that is in place.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Last spring ISU's Athletic Department held a NIL familiarization session at Idle Creek GC. The administration made it clear that the University's role would be to advise student-athletes on what opportunities are within the rules.

Many other schools have seen boosters set up 'collectives' to raise money and funnel it to athletes. This will appeal to many boosters who want more direct control over how his/her money gets spent. It is not surprising that an alumni/ae leader like John Newton would find a leadership role in a new ISU collective.

For better or worse, I shall continue to give my support through the Varsity Club/Foundation where coaches and administrators have control over its distribution.

Jason, I created a new thread about this, but then I found this thread. Feel free to delete the other one.

Here's the link on the GoSycamores website...

I don't know enough about how NIL works. Haven't followed it enough because I don't care a lot about the big money programs. Does it mean local businesses can pay an ISU athlete to be in commercials, etc?

To put it bluntly it means they can pay them as much as they want to and in return can have them do basically nothing but stay here and play if the damn well please…

To put it bluntly it means they can pay them as much as they want to and in return can have them do basically nothing but stay here and play if the damn well please…

If a local business can pay them to help with advertising, radio or TV, I could see it amounting to something. If the rest of us throw in some money, we might pool together enough to help the team buy a used car to share, nothing fancy though. :)

I don't know enough about how NIL works. Haven't followed it enough because I don't care a lot about the big money programs. Does it mean local businesses can pay an ISU athlete to be in commercials, etc?

It's literally the Wild Wild West right now with regards to NIL. Many of the P5 schools have one if not two organized NIL efforts like this one above. Then, athletes have the ability to market themselves to anyone and everyone they wish. The organized efforts are the ones attempting to tie the players to the school.

The bottom line for us is we should only be spending NIL on basketball. It's the only NCAA revenue sport, it's the only sports that draws fans and it's the only chance for the school to get any sort of ROI based on making it to the NCAA tournament and getting tournament units in return. No offense to any other sport out there, but that's just the reality of the situation. Hoops is the only front porch potential sport for Indiana State.

Ohio State head football coach Ryan Day told alumni over the summer that the Buckeyes estimate they will need $13 million a year as a “starting point” to compete. That’s just for football. That’s how much money we are talking about being thrown around right now.

Ohio State head football coach Ryan Day told alumni over the summer that the Buckeyes estimate they will need $13 million a year as a “starting point” to compete. That’s just for football. That’s how much money we are talking about being thrown around right now.

Hadn't need that, but it makes sense at the FBS level. No way the ROI is there since you know the BCS payouts, but hey, they can finally get their deep pocketed boosters money to buy players so I'd be asking for the moon from them as well.

hqdefault.jpg

Bring on Happy Kuykendahl!!!!! We are getting NEON and Rickey Roe next year!

That’s a lot of beer.

$13,000,000/85 = $152,941 average per player.

So to be an "ohio state football" in MBB you need to raise $1,988,233.

Back